Books are Worthless Nowadays.

The Duck

Reaction score
Credits
Hello forums,

The Wife and I are in our 70s and we've been going through stuff around our house and this weekend it was all of the bookshelves throughout the house.

All kinds of books I mean everything just about.

Figured we would donate them somewhere but books are worthless and no body wants them.

I get it as most every subject / topic can be found online.

No one even has paper drives anymore like there was many years ago.

Anyway we to them down to a local business we trade at and ask the owner if we could deposit them in his trash dumpster and he said we could which was cool.

We gained a lot of usable book shelf space to use for something although uncertain what.

Someone else can put them on Ebay.

I'm unwilling to put forth the effort to do so it's easier to toss them.

I know it's terrible to do that but I just don't care anymore.

I've tossed all kinds of ham radio electronics and test equipment that no one wanted it's just easier.

It's sad when you can't even give good working devices away.

I'm old and getting a left hip replacement so I'm not able to properly relocate or re-purpose what I no longer want.

I'm old and getting a left hip replacement so I'm not able to properly relocate or re-purpose what I no longer want.

Hip surgery sucks. Your replacement will be better than mine, but it still sucks. Make sure to do your physical therapy if you want the best recovery possible. Mine was due to an automobile wreck (I wasn't driving) and it was a pretty spectacular event. I basically blew the entire top off my femur, meaning that it is held together with plates and screws, including one screw that goes up through the ball itself.

So, do your PT. PT is going to suck but keep in mind that it could be worse. Those first few months are painful.

I prefer books.

I haven't had hip surgery but I did brake my knee cap. Two very distinct pieces in the X-rays with a clear gap between them.

I can do everything they said I wouldn't be able to do. I took extra vitamin D, K2 mk4, calcium... And in order to put ZERO stress on my knee while it healed, I gained weight sitting on my butt for 6 weeks. I also found a better way to keep my knee braced EXACTLY as it needed to be and stayed that way. The knee braces they gave me were worthless. They all slide down and without realizing it I would slightly bend my leg.

It was worth gaining some weight. I rarely notice my knee.

Before the Internet...books were the only way to learn but those days are long gone just like newspapers and video shops.

Hip surgery sucks. Your replacement will be better than mine, but it still sucks. Make sure to do your physical therapy if you want the best recovery possible. Mine was due to an automobile wreck (I wasn't driving) and it was a pretty spectacular event. I basically blew the entire top off my femur, meaning that it is held together with plates and screws, including one screw that goes up through the ball itself.

So, do your PT. PT is going to suck but keep in mind that it could be worse. Those first few months are painful.
Any surgery sucks imo.

I had my right hip replaced back in 2015 and the PT I had wasn't painful although at first was tiring.

Avascular Necrosis (AVN) where the femoral head and stem die from the lack of blood flow.

The left hip is bone on bone due to old age and arthritis.
It is painful most days so yes a replacement is needed.

And yes a firm believer in PT and what my surgeon says to do.

I prefer books.
Yep books are cool spent a lot of time reading as a child.
I've gotten spoiled with the audio books in my old age.

I haven't had hip surgery but I did brake my knee cap. Two very distinct pieces in the X-rays with a clear gap between them.

I can do everything they said I wouldn't be able to do. I took extra vitamin D, K2 mk4, calcium... And in order to put ZERO stress on my knee while it healed, I gained weight sitting on my butt for 6 weeks. I also found a better way to keep my knee braced EXACTLY as it needed to be and stayed that way. The knee braces they gave me were worthless. They all slide down and without realizing it I would slightly bend my leg.

It was worth gaining some weight. I rarely notice my knee.
I hear knee replacement are a lot more difficult healing from than hip replacement.

Most folks I know who have had either procedure done have had excellent results afterwards.

I've had excellent results after my right hip replacement and no complaints or problems.

It's amazing what can be replaced in the human body nowadays with excellent end results.

Before the Internet...books were the only way to learn but those days are long gone just like newspapers and video shops.
Agreed progress seems to change a lot of things some for the better and some not always for the better.

I have crap ton of books too. Mostly some sort of technical manual. As you noted, I have a ton of ham radio books, electronics books, luthier books, smoking books (BBQ), winemaking books, Dungeons and Dragons books, writing, biographies, some novels, and of course IT related books. (programming, networks, databases, Kubernetes, security, etc)

I occasionally go and throw out the technical books that are no longer useful, but I still have a couple of bookshelves that are full and oh do I hate moving them.

You're right about most stuff being online theses days, but I will say this. Some types of books are just flat out better to have in physical form. Especially reference / educational books that you read while you're working on something. Novels I prefer some sort of digital reading pad / tablet.

@dcbrown73 you are spot on the nail head.

Books in hand are far better than resourcing them online when needed while you are working.

Older technical books are more informative imo but yeah seem to get dated quickly nowadays.

Digital platform / format is way better for novels and such at my age and old eyes listening is just easier to.

Years ago I wanted information on a dog breed...I said I'll buy a book...couldn't find a book anywhere.

Rang bookshops I found in the phone book...none had any books on this breed...what a different story today...everything at my fingertips.
1715820235527.gif

Last edited:
I just tossed a hundred pounds or so of old books last week. Almost all of them were old computer related books - some on the subject of the old DOS era programs (Lotus 123 etc etc), full sets of the manuals from Netware 3.12, stuff like that - the sort of thing.

Even though I can't imagine ever using those books again, nor the software which they describe, I found it hard to discard them. I was raised in an environment and a time where one didn't ever write in books, nor damage them nor discard them. Of course, that was a time before the short-lived relevance of "computer books" - which was also a time when written "content" was (assumed to have been) thoroughly vetted before it ever made it into print so, "I read it somewhere" was at least a little bit of an endorsement that something was true and correct (unlike, "I read it on the internet"). But, alas, my current circumstances are such that I have to divest a decent volume of stuff pretty promptly so a bunch of old books had to go.

@The Duck
I suggest you donate books to local library, they'll make use of them and dump what's worthless.
This way some people will have use of them and you won't need to dump them all alone.

@The Duck
I suggest you donate books to local library, they'll make use of them and dump what's worthless.
This way some people will have use of them and you won't need to dump them all alone.
The library was the first place that told me they didn't want them and to just toss them in a dumpster.

That's what I'm saying books are worthless.

I did take a couple hundred automotive and home repair and home construction books to a local thrift store.

The thrift store attendant said what don't sell in a month gets tossed in the compactor and off to the city recycle center.

Books don't sell these days from what most folks have told me because everything is online.