broken boot

User12

Reaction score
Credits
My power cut while upgrading software and now my computer can't boot from that disk. Running manjaro encrypted type and read through boot directory and my kernel img's are gone. I have 3 kernels installed and none are there anymore. I am also missing vmlinuz file. Tried copy pasting boot stuff frpm other drive and boots but gets tonnes of errors and then fails. Any help would be appreciated.

@User12 -- do you mean you had three kernels installed? So, /boot was encrypted and no backup exits? Lose anything important? Was /home encrypted, too?

Yes, yes, no -- use puppy and a USB thumb drive to save what you can. Then reinstall. Use Clonezilla as a backup next time, as a suggestion.

All yeses -- you're apparently SOL. There may be another solution, but I personally wouldn't take the time.

@User12 -- do you mean you had three kernels installed? So, /boot was encrypted and no backup exits? Lose anything important? Was /home encrypted, too?

Yes, yes, no -- use puppy and a USB thumb drive to save what you can. Then reinstall. Use Clonezilla as a backup next time, as a suggestion.

All yeses -- you're apparently SOL. There may be another solution, but I personally wouldn't take the time.
I really don't want to have to reinstall. I don't really understand what you think right now. I did basic install of manjaro with encrypted disk ages ago and had the 5.4 kernel installed and 2 4.whatever versions installed. I accessed the boot partition from my other disk and I can read everything so I don't understand what you are on about. I could just move my files to my 3TB HDD, install pure arch and just download some GUI frontends I had on manjaro but I really can't be asked to do that right now and would rather prefer a solution to just fix the /boot. Maybe trying file recovery program?

@User12 -- you're a little late explaining the relevant facts, so please explain from the beginnig of a post what you did and how it was done. Then, there may be no misunderstanding. IOW -- learn how to ask a question is a forum such as this.

Rescatux may be worth a try. I take it your encryption key is known and functional -- you didnt say in original post.

Last edited:
Wile E. - stop being rude to new Members :mad:, eat a Snickers.

@User12 welcome to linux.org :)

Let me know which Desktop Environment you are using, eg GNOME, KDE, or Xfce, or one of the Community Editions eg Cinnamon.

In your Manjaro install is an area /var/cache/pacman/pkg/

... in which there will likely be a lot of files unless you have been performing housekeeping.

These files will all end in

.pkg.tar.zst

This is the Z Standard, from a package zstd that will be in your system. It may well include the kernel files.

Do you have a Manjaro Live install disk or usb stick?

I have to go for my evening in Australia but will be back when I can.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Hi & Welcome to Linux.org-:)

Sorry to hear you had a power outage in the middle of an update/upgrade.

If your linux image is gone from the /boot directory than the only thing I know to do is perform a fresh installation.

There may be a way to get the vmlinux image back with the Manjaro Live CD/DVD however; I've never tried it.

Check the /var/cache/pacman/pkg/ like our Wizard suggested.

Staff online

Members online