BTRFS is possible disable journaling ?

aug7744

Reaction score
Credits
I wish use BTRFS mainly because file compression and avoid useless disk writes by journaling and etc.
I see that when BTRFS is used in SSD several features are disabled to avoid stress write.
I wait only enable maximum compression setting and disabling any settings to avoid save date time access, journaling and others features.
Thanks for reply.

Somebody just doesn't like journaling in either ext4 or BTRFS ;)

BTRFS look to be an good choice, but perhaps allocate high free space size to metadata or journaling.
I want to avoid useless writes on disk.

What a waste of time.

If btrfs was the holy grail of file writing etc etc etc etc .....everybody would be using it.

Does your use of your pc involve such drastically/heavy involved use, that you will wear a ssd out via number of writes.??....my next door neighbour is a Journalist, and use his pc far more than most people do......he has had the same ssd installed for almost 7 years.

SSDs can only write in reasonably large blocks anyway. That should basically nullify any write amplification due to copy-on-write.
For example, if you write one byte, BTRFS will need to write an entire 4k block. But the minimum physical page size on an SSD is like 16k, so it was going to write 16k whether the software asked for a one byte write or a 4k write.

SSD's are cheap.

Run
Code:
sudo fstrim -v /
weekly or fortnightly to trim your ssd and get on with life.

"For example, if you write one byte, BTRFS will need to write an entire 4k block. But the minimum physical page size on an SSD is like 16k, so it was going to write 16k whether the software asked for a one byte write or a 4k write."
what is the issue because BTRFS write totally an block ?

Last edited:

Latest posts