Cannot boot any Linux distribution (Surface Pro 8)

imulade

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,

Originally it worked once, the so-called dual boot - then I edited the kernel to integrate the keyboard and mouse/touchscreen drivers into Ubuntu.
After that I had problems with the boot manager or something...

Long ... hard story... - I have already tried a clean install - deleted all partitions - reinstalled Windows (Microsoft USB sticks boot without problems)
But no matter what boot order a Linux stick is ignored (Laptop Logo without booting) (Debian with message: something with MOK and not loading)

Have tried repair boot manager with Amoi Partition Manager...

It just gets stuck when booting with a Linux stick, no matter what distri. (The numerous sticks that I have already tried work on other PCs...

I tried Secure Boot OFF Secure Boot and 3rd Part...

As I said, the sticks work on other e.g. Lenovos!

Other USB slots, hubs tested...

I can only imagine that it has something to do with the boot manager or bios...

(other example: Acronis, Amoi Disk Manager etc. also boots everything without problems)

I have already tried a clean install - deleted all partitions - reinstalled Windows
I tried Secure Boot OFF Secure Boot
I assume you have re-installed W10 or 11, beside disabling secure boot, did you remember to disable Windows quick-start/fat-boot in the UEFI/bios [usually in the power settings] and doing a full power re-boot [not from the windows shut down panel] before trying to install Linux?

Thank you for the feedback!

I recently tested the energy settings - unfortunately without success!

And yes, I usually tried a hard reset (on the Surface, quieter + switching on).

but did you disable windows quick start first?

then I edited the kernel to integrate the keyboard and mouse/touchscreen drivers into Ubuntu
Debian with message: something with MOK and not loading
If this message is caused due to these drivers it's because they're not signed and thus not working with secure boot.

It could also be because MOK was enrolled into BIOS (by you) but the key is no longer relevant.
Did you enroll MOK key yourself? ex. by following some tutorials.

If this message is caused due to these drivers it's because they're not signed and thus not working with secure boot.

It could also be because MOK was enrolled into BIOS (by you) but the key is no longer relevant.
Did you enroll MOK key yourself? ex. by following some tutorials.
OK, but if i tried without secure boot - this should work? Because i tried it with "secure boot", without "secure boot" and with "secure boot" and 3rd part ... nothing work... i could cry!

OK, but if i tried without secure boot - this should work? Because i tried it with "secure boot", without "secure boot" and with "secure boot" and 3rd part ... nothing work... i could cry!
I had same problem after making MOK key, regardless of secure boot I couldn't boot Debian at all.

Sadly I don't recall what I did exactly but I think I had to delete keys from bios and restore them to factory defaults.

...already tried a clean install - deleted all partitions - reinstalled Windows...

Well, searching for "surface pro 8" Google started to provide hints once i added "bootloader", quickly resulting with mentions over Microsoft's "Recovery Key" besides your password then some "unlock tool" on YT, to finally mention its BitLocker function - e.g. the same about which i previously commented it was helpful to proceed "politely" via Windows itself...