cannot install linux on my macbook pro

Reaction score
Credits
Hello my name is Christopher from the frenchy part of Canada so please forgive my poor attempts at English
the hdd in my 2012 macbook died during my move to the Philippines and all i was able to afford to do was buy a 128gb ssd but os recovery just wont connect to the apple store so im trying to instal ANY os so that i wont have to toss the 10 yr old macbook in the bin.. using a bootable win10 usb... i see the win logo and the macbook reboots after 5 minutes.. ubuntu, manjaro it just hangs at a black screen after i select install, deepin, debian,edbuntu same exact result

im 1000% sure that i did install manjaro on that macbook back in Canada i just dont remember how

please help
merci

Hi! Christopher-

I haven't much experience with installing Linux on a Mac.
We have members here that may know how to so hang in there.

In the meantime can you post the exact spec's of your Macbook?

This may help:
Installing Ubuntu on newly installed blank SSD (MacBook Unibody)

Hi! Christopher-

I haven't much experience with installing Linux on a Mac.
We have members here that may know how to so hang in there.

In the meantime can you post the exact spec's of your Macbook?

This may help:
Installing Ubuntu on newly installed blank SSD (MacBook Unibody)
umm... 2012 macbook pro first macbook to use intel cpu

Processor

• 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz) with 3MB L3 cache
  • 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz) with 4MB L3 cache
Memory

• 2.5GHz
    4GB of 1600MHz DDR3 memory
    Configurable to 8GB
  • 2.9GHz
    8GB of 1600MHz DDR3 memory
Storage1

• 2.5GHz
    500GB 5400-rpm hard drive
    Configurable options:
    • 750GB 5400-rpm hard drive
    • 128GB solid-state drive
    • 256GB solid-state drive
    • 512GB solid-state drive
  • 2.9GHz
    750GB 5400-rpm hard drive
    Configurable options:
    • 1TB 5400-rpm hard drive
    • 128GB solid-state drive
    • 256GB solid-state drive
    • 512GB solid-state drive
Size and Weight

• Height: 0.95 inch (2.41 cm)
  • Width: 12.78 inches (32.5 cm)
  • Depth: 8.94 inches (22.7 cm)
  • Weight: 4.5 pounds (2.06 kg)2
Graphics and Video Support

• Intel HD Graphics 4000
  • Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors
Thunderbolt digital video output

• Native Mini DisplayPort output
  • DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
  • VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
  • Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)
  • HDMI audio and video output using third-party Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (sold separately)
Camera

• 720p FaceTime HD camera
Connections and Expansion

• MagSafe power port
  • Gigabit Ethernet port
  • FireWire 800 port (up to 800 Mbps)
  • Two USB 3 ports (up to 5 Gbps)
  • Thunderbolt port (up to 10 Gbps)
  • Headphone port
  • SDXC card slot
  • Kensington lock slot
  • 8x SuperDrive
Wireless

• 802.11n Wi-Fi wireless networking;3 IEEE 802.11a/b/g compatible
  • Bluetooth 4.0 wireless technology
Audio

• Stereo speakers with subwoofer
  • Omnidirectional microphone
  • Headphone port
    • Support for Apple iPhone headset with remote and microphone
    • Support for audio line out (digital/analog)
Keyboard and Trackpad

• Full-size backlit keyboard with 78 (U.S.) or 79 (ISO) keys, including 12 function keys and 4 arrow keys (inverted “T” arrangement) with ambient light sensor
  • Multi-Touch trackpad for precise cursor control; supports inertial scrolling, pinch, rotate, swipe, three-finger swipe, four-finger swipe, tap, double-tap, and drag capabilities
Battery and Power4

• Up to 7 hours wireless web
  • Built-in 63.5-watt-hour lithium-polymer battery
  • 60W MagSafe Power Adapter with cable management system; MagSafe power port
Electrical and Operating Requirements

• Line voltage: 100V to 240V AC
  • Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz
  • Operating temperature: 50° to 95° F (10° to 35° C)
  • Storage temperature: –13° to 113° F (–24° to 45° C)
  • Relative humidity: 0% to 90% noncondensing
  • Operating altitude: tested up to 10,000 feet
  • Maximum storage altitude: 15,000 feet
  • Maximum shipping altitude: 35,000 fee
the only difference is that the original hdd was replaced with a ramsta 128gb ssd

The only problem that I can think of that occurs with MacBooks of that age, is they usualy contain Broadcom Wi-Fi so you will need to hard-wire or tether to a data mobile to download the drivers.

Why Linux fails to load/install direct to HDD, common reasons
1] Corrupt download [check SHA sum]
2] bad burn to installation medium [try again] [if you used Rufus then try Balina-etcher]
3] Wind 8.2 and higher quick start/fast boot or secure boot not disabled [doesn't normally apply to older versions]
4] defective pen-drive/dvd
5] hardware fault,
5A] If old style HDD run integrity check
5B]if SATA SSD check for hidden partition at the beginning of drive [this will stop Grub from loading] and delete it before re-installing Linux
If M2.NVMe check, your system is NVMe compatible [not all older kit is]

provided none of the above are causing any problems

Download the ISO, write it onto USB as a bootable drive, and reboot your MacBook while holding down the Option key. The first it boots you'll see 2 EFI drives. Select the first one and enter your Linux should start to install,

Installing the Broadcom driver will depend on which distribution you choose.

Last edited:
The only problem that I can think of that occurs with MacBooks of that age, is they usualy contain Broadcom Wi-Fi so you will need to hard-wire or tether to a data mobile to download the drivers.

Why Linux fails to load/install direct to HDD, common reasons
1] Corrupt download [check SHA sum]
2] bad burn to installation medium [try again] [if you used Rufus then try Balina-etcher]
3] Wind 8.2 and higher quick start/fast boot or secure boot not disabled [doesn't normally apply to older versions]
4] defective pen-drive/dvd
5] hardware fault,
5A] If old style HDD run integrity check
5B]if SATA SSD check for hidden partition at the beginning of drive [this will stop Grub from loading] and delete it before re-installing Linux
If M2.NVMe check, your system is NVMe compatible [not all older kit is]

provided none of the above are causing any problems

Download the ISO, write it onto USB as a bootable drive, and reboot your MacBook while holding down the Option key. The first it boots you'll see 2 EFI drives. Select the first one and enter your Linux should start to install,

Installing the Broadcom driver will depend on which distribution you choose.
im using rufus on windows10 and in linux i was using ventoy trying etcher as i type this

Untitled.jpg

Good start, it must be the middle of the afternoon for you,
we know Rufus has been problematic with Linux, any luck with Balena Etcher?

OK lets get some basic information..
What is the full model name and number of your machine? [usually found on the manufacturer's plate on the bottom of the machine]
What system is it currently running? [Apple OS, Windows, Linux or something else, if windows which build?]
Do you have another machine you can test the USB pen-drive with?
Does the machine have a DVD drive ? [sometimes it's easier to use an optical drive on older machines]

bottom of the macbook it just gives the power specifications something california 2015 Apple.... no model ... just a serial #
C1MRW0DZDV30
im currently sitting on a 10 yr old fujitsu celeron craptop and that is how i scanned the usb drive
i believe that is how i installed both ubuntu and windows 10 on the macbook back in Canaduh.. using a burned dvd disc... but being short on funds.. getting a usb dvd burner might have to wait

just a serial
That's great, it enabled me to pull up the workshop sheets for that batch of machines, provided everything is working OK in the machine, I cannot see why you're having problems.
Have you tried booting the USB pen-drive on the fuji, just to see if it's working ?

That's great, it enabled me to pull up the workshop sheets for that batch of machines, provided everything is working OK in the machine, I cannot see why you're having problems.
Have you tried booting the USB pen-drive on the fuji, just to see if it's working ?
it took a very long time but eventually ventoy using manjaro helped me install win10 same usb

Celeron is a bit of a misnomer, Intel tend to use the name for chipsets based on earlier models for their entry level processors, although not fast by the latest standards they are usually quite capable when it comes to Linux, If you fancy trying Linux on the Fiji then I would suggest a medium build or a light build, If it were mine I would try Mint LMDE, Peppermint,MX-64 bit, or Parrot home [all of these i know work on my older machine] Or for a light build, Linux-Lite, AntiX or Lubuntu

when i was 16 i had a ce;eron too..
yep I still have a 23 yr old Celeron single core 1200 laptop [32bit] which I play with occasionally, but a escargot on dope would be much faster

Members online

Latest posts