Solved "Can't Stop" to "Addicted"

Solved issue

Sherri is a Cat

Reaction score
Credits
I was looking at trophies just now. I have the "Can't Stop Trophy" for 100 messages posted. I want that "Addicted" trophy for 1,000 messages. But I'm a lazy slacker. So I was wondering, if I post a message then delete it, does it still count toward that trophy? Because you see, I was thinking that I could post a reply, copy it, delete it, reply again by pasting what I just deleted.

So it would look something like this.

Reply "Hello from Texas!" Delete.

If did that 10 times for every reply, I would only have to post another 100 replies to get that trophy. Doing this would save a lot typing as well as time.

So... Can I do this?

I dont make or enforce the rules of this forum. However, IMO, doing it the way you propose, would make the Addicted trophy, and every trophy afterwards, completely meaningless for you. If you cheat to get one, you cheat to get them all.

If those trophies have meaning to you, get them the right way. You'll be able to have pride in your accomplishment.

So... Can I do this?

Even if you could, why would you?

Also, I've paid zero attention to trophies. I do have a lot of 'credits', but I don't keep track of those either.

Be patient and earn 'em the right way. Also, I suspect the system would award the trophy and then just ignore it when you crossed the threshold for real. And, I suspect you'd have to do it when you were within a few posts of legitimately earning the trophy as your deleted posts won't be counted like you're imagining.

If you have 100 posts and post/delete 5 posts, you'll have 100 posts in the system.

If the threshold is 1000 posts and you have 999 posts and post/delete 5 posts, it'll award the trophy when you cross 1000 posts. Removing those posts would just mean you're back to 999 posts. You won't get the trophy again or anything like that.

Just wait till you get addicted to setting up and customizing your Arch Linux installation ;)

(Wizard's note to file - Do Texans have a similar sense of humour to Australians?)

Friday here in Oz

Avagudweegend

I've paid zero attention to trophies.

I wouldn't even know if I hadn't recently been notified I that I got one. I didn't know about any of the others either until I a saw the recent notification. It's just hypothetical.

Like this idea...

The mileage on a vehicle effects it's Blue Book value. Every car has a speedometer. In addition to measuring the speed of a vehicle, it also measures the miles driven. Those numbers are based based on revolutions of tire on the wheel.

Some people alter the suspension of their vehicles. Doing so allows them to to use smaller or larger tires/wheels. If the speedometer isn't adjusted for the change, the estimated total miles driven will not be accurate.

When a used vehicle is bought in Texas, sales taxes are effected by the total mileage reflected on the odometer. Higher mileage results in lower sales taxes.

If I buy a vehicle that's been driven with wheels/tires that are larger than those installed at the time of manufacture, and the speedometer hasn't been adjusted or tared, the miles driven will be underestimated. I will be charged more taxes for a vehicle that has actually been driven more miles.

So, if I can prove that some or all of the miles reflected by the odometer has been underestimated, can I challenge the taxes I'm charged?

(Wizard's note to file - Do Texans have a similar sense of humour to Australians?)

Friday here in Oz

Avagudweegend
I think it's just this Texan. Most people either don't get my jokes, or they have to think about what I just said.

You thought I was serious???
Yup. Why else would someone make a post on a forum such as this one if it weren't a serious question?

Maybe had you added "jk", or a laughy face, or anything at all to imply you were not serious, all would be different.

Or this...

Have you ever noticed that a capitol "i" looks just like a lower case "L"?

Yup. Why else would someone make a post on a forum such as this one if it weren't a serious question?

Maybe had you added "jk", or a laughy face, or anything at all to imply you were not serious, all would be different.

Why would I advertise an attmept to be dishonest?

Why would I advertise an attmept to be dishonest?
How would I know? Nobody knows what you're thinking but you. All one can do is "assume" because, as I said, you didn't leave any clues that your post was meant to be funny. Next time, maybe start off with "Knock, knock" or "Did you hear the one about".

I think it's just this Texan. Most people either don't get my jokes, or they have to think about what I just said.

If you're not an Aussie you won't get this..."At least Ned Kelly wore a mask".
m0103.gif

IX0LgkU.gif

Might have to give up on this one, Sherri? Odds seem stacked against you. 1 April might have been a good time. ;)

Why else would someone make a post on a forum such as this one if it weren't a serious question

Do bear in mind, folks that this is the Off Topic subforum.

We understand that you'd want to talk about other stuff in your life besides Linux.. here's the spot!

If the question were serious, it might be posted in Forum Assistance, albeit it might get short shrift there too.

Lighten up, life's too short to be taking things too seriously.

Avagudweegend

Wizard

IX0LgkU.gif

Might have to give up on this one, Sherri? Odds seem stacked against you. 1 April might have been a good time. ;)

I only have one last thing to say.

As substitute teacher I don't take students personally. I like my job and I enjoy the students. Sometimes tensions develop, there are misunderstandings, someone gets offended...

I do my best to get on the same page with students, try to explain or expand on something. Hence the speedometers and taxes.

I will usually put more time into straightening things out with students, but as with anyone else, I have to just cut my losses and move on.

Do bear in mind, folks that this is the Off Topic subforum.

If the question were serious, it might be posted in Forum Assistance, albeit it might get short shrift there too.

In the OP I bluntly said "I'm a slacker". In the world of Linux, I doubt ANYONE is a slacker. It seemed to me that in addition to putting this thread in "Off Topic", and demeaning myself made the seriousness of my statement obvious.

Several months ago I started another "Off Topic" thread.

I told everyone I have blackout curtains on every window and sit in the dark hiding from the monkeys.They keep interfering with my life. At night, they jump up and down on my roof. They scream, bang metal trash can lids together and one of them recently found an old horn that he doesn't know how to play.

Thank you @wizard and @bob466

I think my question has been "Solved".

@f33dm3bits

I called myself a lazy slacker in an "Off Topic" post.

As Wizardfromoz just said, if I was serious my question would be in "Forum Assistance".

Members online