• We did not send an email asking for donations - please read this post.

Changing data directory of MySQL in Slackware

adkriPrasanna

Reaction score
Credits
Changing mysql datadirectory is getting little bit of confusing. I added the following line in /etc/my.cnf
[mysqld]
datadir=/home/user/newdir

still mysql is using /var/lib/mysql

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Did you restart mysql/mariadb?

There are usually also some files in /etc/my.cnf.d, one with the name server in it. For example mariadb-server.cnf or mysql-server.cnf, check if datadir is defined in one of those.

OP
A

adkriPrasanna

Reaction score
Credits
checked all the conf files. Everything is fine
but whenever i restart /etc/rc.d/rc.mysqld
it picks /var/lib/mysql

But

After searching here and there, I found something related to mysql.server file. Then i did:
cd /usr/share/mysql
./mysql.server start

Now its picking my configuration.

what is the difference between
/etc/rc.d/rc.mysqld start and
./mysql_server start

which one to choose?

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I don't run Slackware, was thinking it should be somewhat the same over distributions. You can always try bind mounting /home/user/newdir to /var/lib/mysql that way the location doesn't matter.

I would think they are the same, wouldn't be surprised if /etc/rc.d/rc.mysqld is symlinked to /usr/share/mysqld @captain-sensible should be able to help you out here.

Last edited:

captain-sensible

Reaction score
Credits
thanks invite on this. I'm not going to be much help. Thats because some time again I realistically looked at my use which is almost exclusively web development, ease of use of development and capacity i switched to sqlite3 which is written in c and is "server less" meaning its a just a file that needs no database daemon or what ever you want to call it; it has a capacity of 281 terabytes which i doubt i'm going to exceed with blogs etc

i used to go through the pain of MySQl grant all options, web on one sever and database on another , users etc and having to use phpMyAdmin etc all all the other quirks and grief and just thought why put put myself through it.

So for instance for php i can work from the Desktop just using built in server, play with php code and still use a databse or as i usually do develop in apache with a few projects via virtual host settings
One issue with sqlite3 is maybe security but then the file is outside what can be accessed from the web; so you should be able to download it. Passwords are hashed.

People use Mysql with wordpress; the admin password, Slug and display name are stored in a table called users; the fact that it uses MySQl doesn't stop me getting the user name from the database quite easily in a lot of cases !

I can browse the database just using sqlitebrowser. IN short what ever i knew about MySQl or Maria i forgot. If i were a mod on here i wouldn't advertise places where you might get help away from this forum but if its ok with them i can suggest that .

@adkriPrasanna Don't right us off completely here on Slackware for other issues.

i have alterted another Slackware user on here to see if he can shed any light @VP9KS

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Thanks for replying @captain-sensible OP got it working he just was confused about the different startup files of mysqld. I thought you could maybe help out with that part since you have experience with Slackware and how the startup of processes exactly works there.
After searching here and there, I found something related to mysql.server file. Then i did:
cd /usr/share/mysql
./mysql.server start

./mysql_server start

which one to choose?
My guess was that /etc/rc.d/mysqld is symlinked to /usr/share/mysql or something like that. I would think that doesn't matter what you have installed that needs to startup that basic idea is the same, so I thought you could help the OP figure out the difference between the different startup files in the two locations OP mentioned.

Last edited:

captain-sensible

Reaction score
Credits
Will have a look at anything related to slackware :^) can't always help though ! to make it work Slackware is changing @adkriPrasanna which version of slackware are you using 14.2 or current ?

captain-sensible

Reaction score
Credits
checked all the conf files. Everything is fine
but whenever i restart /etc/rc.d/rc.mysqld
it picks /var/lib/mysql

But

cd /usr/share/mysql
./mysql.server start

./mysql_server start

which one to choose?
Slackware uses BSD style for its init . All of the system initialization files are at /etc/rc.d

thus:
/etc/rc.d/rc.httpd
i.e apache
there are some odd quirks with some scripts about the place which were supposed to be used as a starting point. There used to be cnf large, huge last time i used MySQl you chose one.

They used to do things like :

Code:
cp  /usr/share/mysql/mysql.server       /etc/rc.d/rc.mysqld

So there is some sort of legacy stuff lying around linking to how they used to do things.

Once /etc/rc.d/rc.mysqld has had exec permissions of
chmod a+x /etc/rc.d/rc.mysqld

set only needs doing once , then that daemon wills automatically when computer boots. So you really need make its picking up config without firing up any other script.

OP
A

adkriPrasanna

Reaction score
Credits
Thanks for your help, I'm using Slackware 14.2, actually my main problem was to change the data directory of MySQL Server
I copied the contents of /var/lib/mysql to home directory and edited rc.mysqld
I modified the line having --datadir=/var/lib/mysql to --datadir=/home/my-path
Now its fine.
But I don't know is it good practice to edit rc.mysqld or editing my.cnf is preffered...

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Linux.org Hosting Donations
Consider making a donation

Members online