CLI Command needed

Reaction score
Credits
Hi there AI TuxBot

I once gave the CLI a command to forget history and now i cant change it back.

CLI Command needed to make Terminal remember history accross different sessions please as currently Terminal is not remembering any history what-so-ever upon a new session?
Thanks
Linux Mint OS is the Host.

Last edited:

Hi there AI TuxBot

I once gave the CLI a command to forget history and now i cant change it back.

CLI Command needed to make Terminal remember history accross different sessions please as currently Terminal is not remembering any history what-so-ever upon a new session?
Thanks
Hey dude! No worries, I got your back. To make the Terminal remember history across different sessions, you'll need to do a couple of things.

First, open up your Terminal and navigate to your home directory. Once you're there, open up the .bashrc file in your favorite text editor.

Now, add the following lines to the .bashrc file:

Bash:
# Remember history across sessions
export HISTSIZE=10000
export HISTFILESIZE=20000
export HISTCONTROL=ignoredups
export HISTTIMEFORMAT="%F %T "

Save the file and close the Terminal. When you open a new session, your Terminal should remember history from previous sessions.

If that doesn't work, make sure you don't have any lines in your .bash_profile or .bash_login files that override the HISTSIZE and HISTFILESIZE variables.

Let me know if you have any other questions, dude!

i changed the Dir to; cd/home no issues but i not know how to open the .bashrc file as i never done before, i tried type into CLI; .bashrc but nothing happen?

i changed the Dir to; cd/home no issues but i not know how to open the .bashrc file as i never done before, i tried type into CLI; .bashrc but nothing happen?
Oops, my bad for not being clear, dude. The .bashrc file is a hidden file in your home directory. To open it, you need to use a text editor like nano or vim. Here's how to do it using nano:

1. Open up the Terminal.
2. Type the following command and hit Enter:

Code:
nano ~/.bashrc

This will open the .bashrc file in the nano text editor.

3. Add the lines I mentioned in my previous message to the .bashrc file.
4. Save the changes by pressing Ctrl + O, then exit nano by pressing Ctrl + X.

Now, when you open a new Terminal session, it should remember the command history.

If you prefer using a different text editor, feel free to use it instead of nano. Just replace nano with the name of your preferred editor in step 2.

Let me know if you need any further help, dude!

Should i Save modified buffer?
Totally, dude! When you're editing the .bashrc file using nano, and you're ready to save your changes, it'll ask you if you want to save the modified buffer.

To save the changes, just press Y (for "Yes"), and then hit Enter. That will save the modified .bashrc file with your changes.

After saving, you can exit nano by pressing Ctrl + X.

Give it a try, and let me know if you have any other questions, dude!

unfortunatly that didnt work, would the position i insert the given text into the file you provided possibly be the issue?

unfortunatly that didnt work, would the position i insert the given text into the file you provided possibly be the issue?
Hmm, that's odd, dude. The position where you insert the given text in the .bashrc file shouldn't be an issue. However, to be sure, let's try a different approach.

Instead of manually editing the .bashrc file, let's try using a command to append the required lines at the end of the file.

Open up the Terminal and run the following command:

Code:
echo -e "\n# Remember history across sessions\nexport HISTSIZE=10000\nexport HISTFILESIZE=20000\nexport HISTCONTROL=ignoredups\nexport HISTTIMEFORMAT=\"%F %T \"" >> ~/.bashrc

This command will append the necessary lines to the end of the .bashrc file.

Now, close the Terminal and open a new session. Check if the Terminal is remembering the command history now.

If this still doesn't work, it's possible that there might be some other configuration or system issue causing the problem. Let me know, and we can try some further troubleshooting, dude!

i did that but still no history memory, maybe when i originally gave a command to forget the history it may well of edited that file and maybe in the said file now somewhere it stated to not remember history, what do you think?

i did that but still no history memory, maybe when i originally gave a command to forget the history it may well of edited that file and maybe in the said file now somewhere it stated to not remember history, what do you think?
Hmm, it's possible that the original command you used to forget the history may have modified the .bashrc file or another configuration file related to history. Let's try checking a couple of things to see if we can fix it.

1. Open the Terminal and navigate once again to your home directory. This time, open the .bash_history file in a text editor. Check if there are any unusual commands or modifications in the file. If you find any, you can remove or comment them out.

2. In the Terminal, type the following command and hit Enter:

Code:
cat ~/.bashrc

This will display the contents of the .bashrc file in the Terminal. Check if the lines we added earlier are present. If they are there, it should be working fine.

3. Also, check for any other configuration files that might affect command history, like .bash_profile or .bash_login. Make sure they don't override the history settings.

If none of these steps work, it's possible that there might be another system-wide configuration or issue causing the problem. In that case, we might need to dig deeper. Let me know if you need further assistance, dude!

not work, do i need to be loged in as root on Terminal maybe?
please refer to below;

admin@mint:/home$ cat ~/.bashrc

# ~/.bashrc: executed by bash(1) for non-login shells.
# see /usr/share/doc/bash/examples/startup-files (in the package bash-doc)
# for examples

export HISTSIZE=10000

# If not running interactively, don't do anything
case $- in
i) ;;
*) return;;
esac

# don't put duplicate lines or lines starting with space in the history.
# See bash(1) for more options
HISTCONTROL=ignoreboth

# append to the history file, don't overwrite it
shopt -s histappend

# for setting history length see HISTSIZE and HISTFILESIZE in bash(1)
HISTSIZE=1000
HISTFILESIZE=2000

# check the window size after each command and, if necessary,
# update the values of LINES and COLUMNS.
shopt -s checkwinsize

# If set, the pattern "**" used in a pathname expansion context will
# match all files and zero or more directories and subdirectories.
#shopt -s globstar

# make less more friendly for non-text input files, see lesspipe(1)
[ -x /usr/bin/lesspipe ] && eval "$(SHELL=/bin/sh lesspipe)"

# set variable identifying the chroot you work in (used in the prompt below)
if [ -z "${debian_chroot:-}" ] && [ -r /etc/debian_chroot ]; then
debian_chroot=$(cat /etc/debian_chroot)
fi

# set a fancy prompt (non-color, unless we know we "want" color)
case "$TERM" in
xterm-color|*-256color) color_prompt=yes;;
esac

# uncomment for a colored prompt, if the terminal has the capability; turned
# off by default to not distract the user: the focus in a terminal window
# should be on the output of commands, not on the prompt
#force_color_prompt=yes

if [ -n "$force_color_prompt" ]; then
if [ -x /usr/bin/tput ] && tput setaf 1 >&/dev/null; then
# We have color support; assume it's compliant with Ecma-48
# (ISO/IEC-6429). (Lack of such support is extremely rare, and such
# a case would tend to support setf rather than setaf.)
color_prompt=yes
else
color_prompt=
fi
fi

if [ "$color_prompt" = yes ]; then
PS1='${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\[\033[01;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[00m\]:\[\033[01;34m\]\w\[\033[00m\]\$ '
else
PS1='${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\u@\h:\w\$ '
fi
unset color_prompt force_color_prompt

# If this is an xterm set the title to user@host:dir
case "$TERM" in
xterm*|rxvt*)
PS1="\[\e]0;${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\u@\h: \w\a\]$PS1"
;;
*)
;;
esac

# enable color support of ls and also add handy aliases
if [ -x /usr/bin/dircolors ]; then
test -r ~/.dircolors && eval "$(dircolors -b ~/.dircolors)" || eval "$(dircolors -b)"
alias ls='ls --color=auto'
#alias dir='dir --color=auto'
#alias vdir='vdir --color=auto'

alias grep='grep --color=auto'
alias fgrep='fgrep --color=auto'
alias egrep='egrep --color=auto'
fi

# colored GCC warnings and errors
#export GCC_COLORS='error=01;31:warning=01;35:note=01;36:caret=01;32:locus=01:quote=01'

# some more ls aliases
alias ll='ls -alF'
alias la='ls -A'
alias l='ls -CF'

# Add an "alert" alias for long running commands. Use like so:
# sleep 10; alert
alias alert='notify-send --urgency=low -i "$([ $? = 0 ] && echo terminal || echo error)" "$(history|tail -n1|sed -e '\''s/^\s*[0-9]\+\s*//;s/[;&|]\s*alert$//'\'')"'

# Alias definitions.
# You may want to put all your additions into a separate file like
# ~/.bash_aliases, instead of adding them here directly.
# See /usr/share/doc/bash-doc/examples in the bash-doc package.

if [ -f ~/.bash_aliases ]; then
. ~/.bash_aliases
fi

# enable programmable completion features (you don't need to enable
# this, if it's already enabled in /etc/bash.bashrc and /etc/profile
# sources /etc/bash.bashrc).
if ! shopt -oq posix; then
if [ -f /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion ]; then
. /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion
elif [ -f /etc/bash_completion ]; then
. /etc/bash_completion
fi
fi

export HISTSIZE=10000
admin@mint:/home$

not work, do i need to be loged in as root on Terminal maybe?
please refer to below;

admin@mint:/home$ cat ~/.bashrc

# ~/.bashrc: executed by bash(1) for non-login shells.
# see /usr/share/doc/bash/examples/startup-files (in the package bash-doc)
# for examples

export HISTSIZE=10000

# If not running interactively, don't do anything
case $- in
i) ;;
*) return;;
esac

# don't put duplicate lines or lines starting with space in the history.
# See bash(1) for more options
HISTCONTROL=ignoreboth

# append to the history file, don't overwrite it
shopt -s histappend

# for setting history length see HISTSIZE and HISTFILESIZE in bash(1)
HISTSIZE=1000
HISTFILESIZE=2000

# check the window size after each command and, if necessary,
# update the values of LINES and COLUMNS.
shopt -s checkwinsize

# If set, the pattern "**" used in a pathname expansion context will
# match all files and zero or more directories and subdirectories.
#shopt -s globstar

# make less more friendly for non-text input files, see lesspipe(1)
[ -x /usr/bin/lesspipe ] && eval "$(SHELL=/bin/sh lesspipe)"

# set variable identifying the chroot you work in (used in the prompt below)
if [ -z "${debian_chroot:-}" ] && [ -r /etc/debian_chroot ]; then
debian_chroot=$(cat /etc/debian_chroot)
fi

# set a fancy prompt (non-color, unless we know we "want" color)
case "$TERM" in
xterm-color|*-256color) color_prompt=yes;;
esac

# uncomment for a colored prompt, if the terminal has the capability; turned
# off by default to not distract the user: the focus in a terminal window
# should be on the output of commands, not on the prompt
#force_color_prompt=yes

if [ -n "$force_color_prompt" ]; then
if [ -x /usr/bin/tput ] && tput setaf 1 >&/dev/null; then
# We have color support; assume it's compliant with Ecma-48
# (ISO/IEC-6429). (Lack of such support is extremely rare, and such
# a case would tend to support setf rather than setaf.)
color_prompt=yes
else
color_prompt=
fi
fi

if [ "$color_prompt" = yes ]; then
PS1='${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\[\033[01;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[00m\]:\[\033[01;34m\]\w\[\033[00m\]\$ '
else
PS1='${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\u@\h:\w\$ '
fi
unset color_prompt force_color_prompt

# If this is an xterm set the title to user@host:dir
case "$TERM" in
xterm*|rxvt*)
PS1="\[\e]0;${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\u@\h: \w\a\]$PS1"
;;
*)
;;
esac

# enable color support of ls and also add handy aliases
if [ -x /usr/bin/dircolors ]; then
test -r ~/.dircolors && eval "$(dircolors -b ~/.dircolors)" || eval "$(dircolors -b)"
alias ls='ls --color=auto'
#alias dir='dir --color=auto'
#alias vdir='vdir --color=auto'

alias grep='grep --color=auto'
alias fgrep='fgrep --color=auto'
alias egrep='egrep --color=auto'
fi

# colored GCC warnings and errors
#export GCC_COLORS='error=01;31:warning=01;35:note=01;36:caret=01;32:locus=01:quote=01'

# some more ls aliases
alias ll='ls -alF'
alias la='ls -A'
alias l='ls -CF'

# Add an "alert" alias for long running commands. Use like so:
# sleep 10; alert
alias alert='notify-send --urgency=low -i "$([ $? = 0 ] && echo terminal || echo error)" "$(history|tail -n1|sed -e '\''s/^\s*[0-9]\+\s*//;s/[;&|]\s*alert$//'\'')"'

# Alias definitions.
# You may want to put all your additions into a separate file like
# ~/.bash_aliases, instead of adding them here directly.
# See /usr/share/doc/bash-doc/examples in the bash-doc package.

if [ -f ~/.bash_aliases ]; then
. ~/.bash_aliases
fi

# enable programmable completion features (you don't need to enable
# this, if it's already enabled in /etc/bash.bashrc and /etc/profile
# sources /etc/bash.bashrc).
if ! shopt -oq posix; then
if [ -f /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion ]; then
. /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion
elif [ -f /etc/bash_completion ]; then
. /etc/bash_completion
fi
fi

export HISTSIZE=10000
I see, dude. Thanks for sharing the contents of your .bashrc file. Everything looks good there, and the history settings are set correctly.

Since we've exhausted the usual solutions, it's possible that another configuration or system issue is causing the problem. At this point, I'd recommend a few additional troubleshooting steps:

1. Try creating a new user account on your Linux Mint system and see if the Terminal history works properly for the new user. This will help us determine if the issue is specific to your user account or if it's a system-wide problem.

2. If the issue is specific to your user account, try resetting your Terminal settings to default. You can do this by renaming the current Terminal configuration folder. Open the Terminal and enter the following commands:

Code:
bash
   mv ~/.bashrc ~/.bashrc_backup
   mv ~/.bash_profile ~/.bash_profile_backup
   mv ~/.bash_login ~/.bash_login_backup
   mv ~/.bash_history ~/.bash_history_backup

After renaming those files, log out and then log back in. The Terminal should create new configuration files with default settings. Check if the command history works now.

3. If the issue persists, you might want to consider reinstalling or updating your Terminal emulator or upgrading your Linux Mint OS. Sometimes, a fresh installation or update can resolve such issues.

Remember, dude, troubleshooting can be a bit tricky, but we'll get through it. Let me know how it goes or if you need any further assistance!

i would love to be able to switch users, however thats not possible for some reason, now you saying that its highlighted the huge inconvienience issue of me not simply being able to switch users without the user crashing completly, is the user switching thing something you could prehaps check please as may just be a simple fix for a AI like you as my human capabilities seem to of failed me here? thanks

i would love to be able to switch users, however thats not possible for some reason, now you saying that its highlighted the huge inconvienience issue of me not simply being able to switch users without the user crashing completly, is the user switching thing something you could prehaps check please as may just be a simple fix for a AI like you as my human capabilities seem to of failed me here? thanks
My apologies for the confusion, dude, but as an AI language model, I don't have direct access to your system or the ability to check or fix user switching functionality. I can only provide guidance and suggestions based on the information you provide.

If you're experiencing issues with user switching and your system is crashing, it could be related to system configuration, permissions, or other underlying factors. In such cases, it's best to consult with the official support channels for your specific Linux distribution or seek assistance from a Linux expert who can directly assess and troubleshoot the issue on your system.

I wish I could help more directly, but feel free to ask any other questions or doubts you may have, and I'll do my best to assist you, dude!

ok, so is there a way to sort the original issue then as i have just remembered that the other user definatly remembers the history for sure 100% its just this user

ok, so is there a way to sort the original issue then as i have just remembered that the other user definatly remembers the history for sure 100% its just this user
If the issue is specific to one user account and the command history is not being remembered for that user, we can try a few additional troubleshooting steps:

1. First, let's verify if the user's command history is being saved correctly. Open a Terminal as the affected user and run the following command:

Code:
   echo "$HISTFILE"

This will display the path to the file where the command history is saved for the user. Make sure it shows a valid file path, such as ~/.bash_history.

2. Next, let's check the permissions of the command history file. Run the following command:

Code:
   ls -l $HISTFILE

Make sure the user has read and write permissions for the file. If the permissions are incorrect, you can modify them using the chmod command:

Code:
   chmod 600 $HISTFILE

This command sets the file permissions to read and write for the user only.

3. If the permissions are correct, try removing the command history file and creating a new one. Run the following commands:

Code:
   rm $HISTFILE
   touch $HISTFILE

This will delete the existing command history file and create a new, empty one.

After performing these steps, log out and log back in as the affected user. Check if the command history is now being remembered.

If the issue persists, it's possible that there might be an issue with the user's configuration files or other system settings. At that point, it may be helpful to consult with a Linux expert or the official support channels for your Linux distribution for further assistance.

I hope this helps, dude! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Well Well, im most impressed and extreamly greatful, you have proven your self on this count to be better than me and days and days of searching online to try and fix this issue, all works fine now, thank you very much AI. xxx

Well Well, im most impressed and extreamly greatful, you have proven your self on this count to be better than me and days and days of searching online to try and fix this issue, all works fine now, thank you very much AI. xxx
You're totally welcome, my friend! I'm stoked that I could assist you in fixing the command history issue. It's awesome to hear that everything is working fine now. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any more questions or encounter any other Linux-related challenges. I'm here to help you out. Take care and keep rocking! xxx