Cloning just the used part of disk

xerox

Reaction score
Credits
I have a 240GB SSD with just 10GB used, and I need to clone it (usually dd)
Is there a quick and easy way to clone just the used part instead of dd sdx>sdy that would take lot of time ?
I could shrink partition to 10 GB, clone and resize...
Sugggestions please ?
Thank you.

Welcome to the Forum.
1718358728586.gif

At this stage 10GB of used space isn't much to worry about...have you setup Timeshift ?

Setup Timeshift on an External HDD or SSD of at least 1TB in size...Timeshift takes a snapshot of the used space on the Drive and can easily be restored.

You should never rely on only one backup solution...thats where Foxclone and Redorescue come in...both create an image of used space on the Drive which both store on an External HDD or SSD but not the same Drive as Timeshift snapshots are stored because Timeshift requires an EXT4 partition...where as the others don't.

My 500GB SSD at the moment has 158GB of used space...which is backed with the above tools. Should anything happen...it's an easy matter to restore the image and that includes Drive failure...hope this helps.
1718360021649.gif

Hi,

If this is a linux drive you can create a new partition table with new partitions on your destination drive. Than you can mount thje new partitions, copy your files with rsync and install your bootloader to it if required but. This is no easy way.

Thank you for replies.
It's not a backup, I need to replicate a linux machine more than once from a stored image when needed.
A 10/20 GB SSD would be enough and could be quickly cloned with dd (it's a bootable machine).
Now you find minimum 120/240 GB space SSD that's a waste of space for this application but mostly a waste of time with dd in copying the empty space.