Common Commands For The Terminal And A Question

"Give a man a fish and you will feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a lifetime."

Linux commands often have man pages. Let's say you wanted to know what sudo does. You would type the command: man sudo and read the man page. Sometimes the man pages are a little short and somewhat useless. Sometimes they can be so huge that it could take days to read. If you can't find a man page for a specific command you can use the -k option like this: man -k sudo. Then pick something, if anything looks helpful, and read the man page for that item. Bing has a nice feature called Co-Pilot that tends to answer most such questions pretty well and tends to be friendly. I am glad to see the friendly and helpful responses here on this page, which is the way it should be. I would also point out that eventually you will have many more questions and it will be helpful to you if you know how to use these other resources too. I don't want this to come across as apathetic or dismissive because that is certainly not my intent. I want to help empower you to become more effective in learning about the things that you find interesting.

Signed,

Matthew Campbell

Morning Sherri

another you will see is inxi, this is a machine information application and worth a play with, it may already be installed in your distribution and can give a multitude of information or just information on just one component.
inxi comes in 3 levels for you to try [and see the difference] these are the codes for a full report

inxi -Fnxxxz [note the z on the end] this is a filter to remove sensitive information for posting online if requested]

inxi -Fnxx [no z] will give you more information you may be asked for but it is down to trust if you wish to give it out on an open forum

Sudo inxi -Fnxxx is the fullest report and definitely not for posting

if inxi is not pre-installed, it will be in the software manager.
If I'm not mistaken, if one navigates to Menu - Administration - System Reports, then clicks on System information, the resulting report is the output of the inxi -Fnxxxz command.
Of course, I may be wrong. Been known to happen.
A lot. :D

sudo apt install oneko

when the install is finished....type oneko ....and hit enter

Dont peek in the spoler until after

Of course, I may be wrong. Been known to happen.
your not wrong, but using the inxi command we can be selective in what we ask for, or you can be selective in how much you post

addendum.. not all distros come with inxi pre-installed so this only applies to those that do

Last edited:
I don't want anyone who's helping me with this to wonder if I ever plan to pick up with this. I just got bombarded with tons of stress. I think I should be able to come back to this by Saturday.

Thank you so much for helping me understand all of this stuff!

I just got bombarded with tons of stress. I think I should be able to come back to this by Saturday.
This is Linux .org, its not collage, you don't have to cram, just take your time and learn at your own pace, if we are throwing too much at you , ask us to slow down, as i keep telling newbies, sit back, kick off your shoes, grab a beer [or glass of Pinot Noir], sit back, and enjoy the ride...

Members online