Computer Refuses to Boot

Jeee

Reaction score
Credits
I'm new to Linux (mint) and I have been using it for about 4 months now but ever since I installed it I had issues with my NVIDIA card and it seems to be causing multiple problems. My PC doesn't boot sometimes and boots into emergency mode 70% of the time where it sometimes boots and sometimes it doesn't. I have a NVIDIA Geforce GTX 660 card and I'm using the 470 drivers. Some messages that appear to be useful when booting (in order) :

[0.201344] pnp 00:01 can't evaluate _CRS:12311
[1.814541]
(proceeds to boot into emergency mode)
I press Ctrl+D to continue multiple times and this happens sometimes
Failed to start default target:Transaction for graphical /start is destructive (emergency.start has 'start' job, but target 'stop' is included)
There are also other issues like my PC freezing and having to force shutdown but that can wait.
Any help would be appreciated !

Is this in a desktop/tower pc, when was it last serviced? What is its specification? [from terminal, run inxi -Fnxxz and paste back the results]

Is this in a desktop/tower pc, when was it last serviced? What is its specification? [from terminal, run inxi -Fnxxz and paste back the results]
Yes this is a desktop pc
Code:
System:
  Kernel: 5.15.0-91-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.4.0
    Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.24.7 tk: Qt 5.15.3 wm: kwin_x11 dm: LightDM
    Distro: Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy
Machine:
  Type: Desktop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP ProDesk 600 G1 TWR v: N/A
    serial: <superuser required> Chassis: type: 6 serial: <superuser required>
  Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 18E7 serial: <superuser required>
    BIOS: Hewlett-Packard v: L01 v02.75 date: 05/04/2018
CPU:
  Info: quad core model: Intel Core i7-4770 bits: 64 type: MT MCP
    arch: Haswell rev: 3 cache: L1: 256 KiB L2: 1024 KiB L3: 8 MiB
  Speed (MHz): avg: 3428 high: 3610 min/max: 800/3900 cores: 1: 3414
    2: 3405 3: 3392 4: 3425 5: 3415 6: 3396 7: 3610 8: 3367 bogomips: 54273
  Flags: avx avx2 ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor Integrated Graphics
    vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: i915 v: kernel ports: active: none
    empty: DP-1, DP-2, HDMI-A-1, HDMI-A-2, VGA-1 bus-ID: 00:02.0
    chip-ID: 8086:0412
  Device-2: NVIDIA GK106 [GeForce GTX 660] vendor: Micro-Star MSI
    driver: nvidia v: 470.223.02 pcie: speed: 8 GT/s lanes: 8 bus-ID: 01:00.0
    chip-ID: 10de:11c0
  Display: x11 server: X.Org v: 1.21.1.4 compositor: kwin_x11 driver: X:
    loaded: modesetting,nvidia unloaded: fbdev,nouveau,vesa gpu: i915,nvidia
    display-ID: :0 screens: 1
  Screen-1: 0 s-res: 1920x1080 s-dpi: 95
  Monitor-1: DP-1 res: 1920x1080 dpi: 96 diag: 584mm (23")
  OpenGL: renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660/PCIe/SSE2
    v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 470.223.02 direct render: Yes
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor HD Audio
    vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:03.0
    chip-ID: 8086:0c0c
  Device-2: Intel 8 Series/C220 Series High Definition Audio
    vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
    chip-ID: 8086:8c20
  Device-3: NVIDIA GK106 HDMI Audio vendor: Micro-Star MSI
    driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel pcie: speed: 8 GT/s lanes: 8
    bus-ID: 01:00.1 chip-ID: 10de:0e0b
  Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.15.0-91-generic running: yes
  Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.99.1 running: yes
  Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.48 running: yes
Network:
  Device-1: Intel Ethernet I217-LM vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: e1000e
    v: kernel port: f080 bus-ID: 00:19.0 chip-ID: 8086:153a
  IF: eno1 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
  Device-2: Realtek RTL8192EU 802.11b/g/n WLAN Adapter type: USB
    driver: rtl8192eu bus-ID: 3-8:3 chip-ID: 0bda:818b
  IF: wlx7898e81ee5b8 state: up mac: <filter>
  IF-ID-1: ztzlglzjr7 state: unknown speed: 10 Mbps duplex: full
    mac: <filter>
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 1.36 TiB used: 562 GiB (40.2%)
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST500DM002-1BD142 size: 465.76 GiB
    speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: <filter>
  ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Samsung model: HD103SJ size: 931.51 GiB
    speed: 3.0 Gb/s serial: <filter>
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 445.36 GiB used: 251.06 GiB (56.4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
Swap:
  ID-1: swap-1 type: partition size: 12.21 GiB used: 280.4 MiB (2.2%)
    priority: -2 dev: /dev/sda2
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 29.8 C mobo: 27.8 C gpu: nvidia temp: 56 C
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: nvidia fan: 39%
Info:
  Processes: 323 Uptime: 54m Memory: 11.57 GiB used: 5.68 GiB (49.1%)
  Init: systemd v: 249 runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 11.4.0 alt: 11/12
  Packages: 2980 apt: 2972 flatpak: 8 Shell: Bash v: 5.1.16
  running-in: konsole inxi: 3.3.13

According to THIS Page, this model has integrated graphics as default

Go to menu, type in driver manager, click on that...it will scan for drivers....it should give you a choice of using the graphics card or the integrated/Intel HD

Choose the Intel HD and see if that has any effect.

OK your pro desk is a couple of years older than mine, it should have on chip [integrated] graphics
So when was it last serviced [I do mine at least every year]
Did everything work ok when you first installed Mint or has there always been a problem?
you have an old barracuda as your primary drive and an even older Samsung as a secondary drive

Now if it was on my bench, the first thing I would do is give it a good clean inside and a basic service, then i would run integrity checks on both the hard-drives,
if they check out ok then I would save all files and folders to an external drive, and try re-installing Mint
If graphics still play up, then try taking out the Nvidia [it may be on the way out] and using the onboard graphics

I found my Prodesk runs better on Mint LMDE [than ubuntu base]
if one of your drives are on the way out then to improve the performance of your machine you could install a SSD or if you take out the Nvidia you could use the PCIe16 slot to install a NVMe on an expansion board [this is what i have in mine] it will make a huge difference to the performance

Sorry for the late reply I have been trying to boot into my pc ever since but it just isn't working. I am using the integrated graphics and still has the same issue. It's just been saying
Code:
Failed to start default target:Transaction for graphical /start is destructive (emergency.start has 'start' job, but target 'stop' is included)

OK your pro desk is a couple of years older than mine, it should have on chip [integrated] graphics
So when was it last serviced [I do mine at least every year]
Did everything work ok when you first installed Mint or has there always been a problem?
you have an old barracuda as your primary drive and an even older Samsung as a secondary drive

Now if it was on my bench, the first thing I would do is give it a good clean inside and a basic service, then i would run integrity checks on both the hard-drives,
if they check out ok then I would save all files and folders to an external drive, and try re-installing Mint
If graphics still play up, then try taking out the Nvidia [it may be on the way out] and using the onboard graphics

I found my Prodesk runs better on Mint LMDE [than ubuntu base]
if one of your drives are on the way out then to improve the performance of your machine you could install a SSD or if you take out the Nvidia you could use the PCIe16 slot to install a NVMe on an expansion board [this is what i have in mine] it will make a huge difference to the performance
Ever since installing mint I had some problems but never booting into emergency mode always.
Code:
[1.814541]
This always used to happen but I ignored it. I can't just default on my integrated graphics as it doesn't support most modern video games
if you take out the Nvidia you could use the PCIe16 slot to install a NVMe on an expansion board [this is what i have in mine] it will make a huge difference to the performance
What is a PCIe16 and what is a NVMe cause I'm not familiar with them?
then i would run integrity checks on both the hard-drives,
How do I do that?
So when was it last serviced
What do you mean? Like when did I do a checkup on my PC? If so then almost never?
sorry for not understanding alot of stuff here I'm not very familiar with this stuff.

BTW it booted by me entering recovery mode then choosing the option that says it fixes broken packages or something then choosing the one that checks filesystems then booting. That worked twice

I service my computers at least yearly, it entails stripping them down, cleaning out all the dust and fluff, cleaning all the contacts and cable connections, and if necessary renewing the thermal paste on the CPU/cooler
the PCIe is the long dark slot on your motherboard which unfortunately will have the Nvidia in it, so keeping the Nvidia GPU you will be unable to use it. a NVMe is the latest non-volatile flash type hard-drive replacement, and is faster than a SSD and much faster than a traditional plate spinner [such as your barracuda] if we said a plate spinner works at a unit of 1, then an sse will be up to about 8x 1 and a NVMe around 16x 1
Is a non specific ACPI error

BTW it booted by me entering recovery mode then choosing the option that says it fixes broken packages or something then choosing the one that checks filesystems then booting. That worked twice
OK a couple of terminal commands you could try

sudo apt update && sudo apt --fix-broken install
or
sudo apt-get install --fix-missing

I service my computers at least yearly, it entails stripping them down, cleaning out all the dust and fluff, cleaning all the contacts and cable connections, and if necessary renewing the thermal paste on the CPU/cooler
the PCIe is the long dark slot on your motherboard which unfortunately will have the Nvidia in it, so keeping the Nvidia GPU you will be unable to use it. a NVMe is the latest non-volatile flash type hard-drive replacement, and is faster than a SSD and much faster than a traditional plate spinner [such as your barracuda] if we said a plate spinner works at a unit of 1, then an sse will be up to about 8x 1 and a NVMe around 16x 1

Is a non specific ACPI error
I do clean it quite often but I never put thermal paste. I can't get an NVMe it's way too expensive. I could buy an SSD but only if my problems are because of the hard drive I am using.

in that case, it can't find any missing or broken packages, so that is a good result

I do clean it quite often but I never put thermal paste. I can't get an NVMe it's way too expensive. I could buy an SSD but only if my problems are because of the hard drive I am using.

under normal circumstances you would only need to re-do the thermal paste if you have a overheating problem or the paste as degraded, or you have broken/disturbed the joint.

Yes NVMe are expensive [prices have fallen but not by much.]

if you do not know how to test your hard-drives in Linux, this may help

in that case, it can't find any missing or broken packages, so that is a good result

under normal circumstances you would only need to re-do the thermal paste if you have a overheating problem or the paste as degraded, or you have broken/disturbed the joint.

Yes NVMe are expensive [prices have fallen but not by much.]

if you do not know how to test your hard-drives in Linux, this may help

I'm like 70% sure it is the drive failing to mount therefore not booting as in emergency mode when I said
It worked again as one of the option tries to mount it on read/write I think and it works. But I don't know how to fix it

try
sudo grub-install /dev/sdX
followed by
sudo update-grub

Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.24.7

@Jeee welcome to linux.org :)

One thing you have not told us, but is evident in your inxi output is that you are using KDE as a DE (desktop environment).

The defaults are Cinnamon, Xfce and MATE so I take it that you have introduced the KDE.

Was the computer having these problems before you introduced that element?

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

@Jeee welcome to linux.org :)

One thing you have not told us, but is evident in your inxi output is that you are using KDE as a DE (desktop environment).

The defaults are Cinnamon, Xfce and MATE so I take it that you have introduced the KDE.

Was the computer having these problems before you introduced that element?

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
The first message always appeared the pnp one. But it didn't boot in emergency mode before but I was using KDE fine and this only happened recently it probably isn't KDE.

try
sudo grub-install /dev/sdX
followed by
sudo update-grub
Code:
sudo grub-install /dev/sda1

Installing for i386-pc platform.
grub-install: warning: File system `ext2' doesn't support embedding.
grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
grub-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists.

Staff online