continued from prior thread

rb61153

Reaction score
Credits
One last question. I believe I should make the root partition “primary” & the home partition “logical”. correct?

One last question. I believe I should make the root partition “primary” & the home partition “logical”. correct?
Yeah, dude! You got it right on the money! When it comes to partitioning your hard drive, it's generally a good idea to make the root partition "primary" and the home partition "logical." The root partition is where the operating system files live, so you want to give it a bit more importance. Plus, most systems require the root partition to be primary.

On the other hand, the home partition is where your personal files and user settings reside. It's not as critical as the operating system files, so you can make it a logical partition. Logical partitions are contained within an extended partition and allow you to have more than four total partitions on your disk.

Remember, though, this is a general rule. Depending on your specific needs and the partitioning scheme you choose, you may need to do things differently. But for most situations, making the root partition primary and the home partition logical is the way to go!

Finished installation, removed the usb installation stick, set the ssd as the primary boot device in the bios & then rebooted 3 times. It ssys “Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions. Then drops me to a grub> prompt.
The first item in my boot sequence is UEFI: Sandisk SSAE 3001 Partition 2. The only guess I have is that there was a /boot option in the setup. Should I have chosen that instead of / for the root?

Finished installation, removed the usb installation stick, set the ssd as the primary boot device in the bios & then rebooted 3 times. It ssys “Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device or file completions. Then drops me to a grub> prompt.
The first item in my boot sequence is UEFI: Sandisk SSAE 3001 Partition 2. The only guess I have is that there was a /boot option in the setup. Should I have chosen that instead of / for the root?
Whoa, sounds like you're having a grub-tastic time there! The "Minimal BASH-like line editing" error you're seeing usually occurs when GRUB (the boot loader) is having trouble finding the necessary files to boot your system.

Now, about that /boot option during setup. Typically, the root partition ("/") is where the operating system files are located, including the /boot directory. So, selecting the "/" option for the root partition should have been the right choice.

However, there might be something else going on here. It's possible that GRUB isn't properly installed or configured. Here's what you can try:

1. Boot your system using a live USB or DVD.
2. Mount your installed root partition (e.g., /dev/sda1) to a temporary directory (e.g., /mnt).
3. Bind mount some important directories from the live system to the temporary directory (e.g., /dev, /sys, /proc).
4. Then, chroot into the temporary directory. This will change your root directory to the installed system, enabling you to run commands as if you were booted into it.
5. Finally, re-install or reconfigure GRUB. On most systems, you can use the grub-install and update-grub commands.

Once you've done that, try rebooting again without the live USB or DVD. Hopefully, this will fix the grub-tastic issue you're experiencing and get your system up and running smoothly!

Sadly, I don’t have a live bootable usb stick. The “writable” usbc drive that I formatted earlier had one on it, but is now erased. I’m afraid I don’t know how to do the other items you listed in 3, 4, & 5 above. I’m a linux noob, & kinda lost.

Sadly, I don’t have a live bootable usb stick. The “writable” usbc drive that I formatted earlier had one on it, but is now erased. I’m afraid I don’t know how to do the other items you listed in 3, 4, & 5 above. I’m a linux noob, & kinda lost.
No worries, my friend! I'm here to help you out. Since you don't have a live bootable USB stick, we'll need to find another way to fix the issue. Here's an alternative method you can try:

1. Restart your computer and enter the BIOS settings.
2. Look for an option called "Secure Boot" and disable it. This might be causing an issue with GRUB.
3. Save the changes and exit the BIOS settings.
4. On the GRUB prompt, type the following command: "ls". This will list all the available partitions.
5. Look for the partition that contains your operating system files. It is usually something like "(hd0,gptX)".
6. Once you've identified the correct partition, type the following command, replacing "X" with the appropriate number: "set root=(hd0,gptX)".
7. Next, run the command: "configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg". This will attempt to load the GRUB configuration file.
8. If the boot process succeeds, your system should start normally. However, if you encounter any errors, let me know and we'll continue troubleshooting.

Remember, dude, this is just a workaround and may not solve all the issues you're facing. It's always a good idea to have a live bootable USB stick handy for troubleshooting purposes. Hang in there, and we'll get you through this!

secure boot was already disabled. At grub prompt, I entered ‘ls’ and got
(memdisk), (hd0), (hd0, gpt3), (hd0, 2), (hd0, gpt1), (hd1),(hd2), (hd2, gpt6), (hd2, gpt5), (hd2, gpt4), (hd2, gpt3), (hd2, gpt2), (hd2, gpt1) I assume the ones with HD0 are my SSD drive, but I don’t know which to use. Is there a way to check?

secure boot was already disabled. At grub prompt, I entered ‘ls’ and got
(memdisk), (hd0), (hd0, gpt3), (hd0, 2), (hd0, gpt1), (hd1),(hd2), (hd2, gpt6), (hd2, gpt5), (hd2, gpt4), (hd2, gpt3), (hd2, gpt2), (hd2, gpt1) I assume the ones with HD0 are my SSD drive, but I don’t know which to use. Is there a way to check?
Totally get it, dude! It can be a bit confusing with all those partitions listed, but we'll figure it out. To check which partition contains your operating system, you can use the "ls" command again to inspect the contents of each partition. Here's what you can do:

1. From the GRUB prompt, type in "ls (hd0,gpt3)/", replacing "(hd0,gpt3)" with each partition listed one by one.
2. For each partition, if you see folders like "boot" or "etc" when running the "ls" command, it means you're getting closer to the partition that holds your operating system files.
3. Once you've found the partition with the relevant system files, note down the corresponding "(hdX,gptX)" identifier.

After identifying the correct partition, follow the steps I mentioned earlier:

1. Type the command: "set root=(hdX,gptX)" with the appropriate identifier.
2. Run: "configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg". This will attempt to load the GRUB configuration and boot your system.

Remember to replace "X" with the specific number corresponding to the partition you found. Hopefully, this will help you get your system up and running, bro!

hdo, gpt1 contained lost & found, boot, home, swapfile, media, bin & several others, so I assume that’s it

hdo, gpt1 contained lost & found, boot, home, swapfile, media, bin & several others, so I assume that’s it
Nice detective work, dude! It looks like you've found the right partition that contains your operating system files. That would indeed be "(hd0, gpt1)". So, let's give it a shot and try to boot from there.

From the GRUB prompt, enter the following commands:

1. set root=(hd0, gpt1)
2. configfile /boot/grub/grub.cfg

These commands will set the root to "(hd0, gpt1)" and then attempt to load the GRUB configuration file so your system can boot up properly.

If everything goes smoothly, you should be able to boot into your system without any issues. However, if you encounter any errors or need further assistance, feel free to reach out. Stay persistent, my friend, and we'll get you back on track!

That did it!!!
Stoked to hear that, dude! I'm glad we got your system up and running. Great job sticking with it and finding the right partition.

If you run into any more issues or have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. I'm here to help you out, whether it's troubleshooting, Linux tips, or just hanging loose. Keep on rockin' that Linux vibe!

I allocated 14gb to my / directory, and as soon as I got in, I started getting ‘not enough file space’ messages. Is there an easy way to resize some of the spaces I allocated to /home and assign it to the root partition?

I allocated 14gb to my / directory, and as soon as I got in, I started getting ‘not enough file space’ messages. Is there an easy way to resize some of the spaces I allocated to /home and assign it to the root partition?
Ah, running out of file space can be a bummer, dude. But don't worry, we can definitely make some adjustments to accommodate your needs.

To resize the partitions and allocate more space to the root partition ("/"), you can use a tool like GParted. Here's a step-by-step guide:

1. Create a live bootable USB/DVD with GParted. You can download the GParted Live ISO and create the bootable media using a tool like Rufus or Etcher.
2. Boot your system using the GParted live USB/DVD.
3. Once GParted starts up, you should see a graphical interface with a list of partitions.
4. Locate the partition assigned to "/home" and resize it. Shrink its size to free up some unallocated space. Make sure to leave enough space for your personal files in the "/home" partition.
5. Next, extend the size of the root partition ("/") by utilizing the unallocated space you just created.
6. Review the changes you made and apply them. GParted will handle the resizing process.
7. Once the resizing is complete, reboot your system into the regular installation.

After these steps, your root partition ("/") should have more space, and you should be good to go without those pesky "not enough file space" messages.

Remember to back up your important files before making any modifications, just in case something goes sideways. Feel free to ask if you have any further questions or need assistance. Keep cruising on that Linux journey, my friend!

I get to tour step 1 & I don’t know how to do any of that. Sorry, like I said, total noob

I get to tour step 1 & I don’t know how to do any of that. Sorry, like I said, total noob
No need to apologize, my friend! We all start somewhere, and learning new things is part of the journey. Let's break down the steps to create a live bootable USB with GParted:

1. Download the GParted Live ISO: Visit the GParted website and download the GParted Live ISO file from their Downloads page. Make sure to get the version that matches your system architecture (32-bit or 64-bit).

2. Create a bootable USB: To create a bootable USB, you can use a tool like Rufus. Here's what you need to do:
- Insert your USB drive.
- Open Rufus and select your USB drive from the "Device" dropdown.
- Choose the GParted Live ISO file you downloaded in step 1 by clicking the "Select" or "Browse" button in the "Boot selection" section.
- Leave the other settings as default, and click on the "Start" button.
- Rufus will format the USB drive and copy the GParted Live ISO to it, making it bootable.

3. Boot from the USB: Restart your computer and access the boot menu. The key to access the boot menu varies depending on your computer's manufacturer (often F12, F10, or Esc). Select the USB drive as the boot device and press Enter.

4. Use GParted Live: After booting from the USB, you'll be in the GParted Live environment. From there, you can follow the steps I mentioned earlier to resize your partitions.

Remember, take it easy, and don't hesitate to ask if you need any further assistance. We're here to help and guide you through the process. You're doing great, my Linux noob friend!

I’m going to ty with etcher, but I’ll have to overwrite my usb3.0 stick that I had for installation files. I’ll copy its contents into a folder in my home partition if that is s good idea. This is all new to me so I’m struggling to figure it out

I’m going to ty with etcher, but I’ll have to overwrite my usb3.0 stick that I had for installation files. I’ll copy its contents into a folder in my home partition if that is s good idea. This is all new to me so I’m struggling to figure it out
No worries, dude! Etcher is another great tool for creating bootable USB drives, so go ahead and give it a try. Just make sure to back up any important files from your USB stick before overwriting it.

Copying the contents of your USB stick into a folder in your home partition is a smart move. That way, you'll have a backup of your installation files in case you need them later. Just create a folder in your home partition, like "/home/yourusername/installation_files", and copy everything from the USB stick into that folder.

Take your time to figure things out, and don't hesitate to ask if you run into any difficulties or have more questions. We're here to support you every step of the way. Good luck with the Etcher process, and remember to enjoy the journey of learning Linux!

I have downloaded etcher & have “balenaEtche-1.18.11-x64.appimage and when I open it it says “Choose an application to open the file link.” Don’t know what to do next

I have downloaded etcher & have “balenaEtche-1.18.11-x64.appimage and when I open it it says “Choose an application to open the file link.” Don’t know what to do next
Hey there! It seems like you're trying to open the Etcher appimage file. To run the appimage, you need to make it executable and then launch it. Let's go through the steps:

1. Open a terminal: You can usually find the terminal application in your system's applications menu.

2. Change to the directory where you downloaded the Etcher appimage file. For example, if you downloaded it into your Downloads folder, you can use the following command:
Code:
   cd ~/Downloads

3. Make the appimage executable by running the following command:
Code:
   chmod +x balenaEtcher-1.18.11-x64.appimage

4. Now that the appimage is executable, you can launch it using this command:
Code:
   ./balenaEtcher-1.18.11-x64.appimage

This should open up the Etcher application for you, and you can continue with the steps to create a bootable USB drive.

If you encounter any issues or need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I'm here to help you out!

Members online

Latest posts