Continued from prior thread

rb61153

Reaction score
Credits
I keep getting disconnected and have to start a new thread. I’ve been at this many hours and very frustrated The issue was Downloads was case sensitive. I got it made as executable, and a dialog box popped ip saying Selected file does not have read permission

I keep getting disconnected and have to start a new thread. I’ve been at this many hours and very frustrated The issue was Downloads was case sensitive. I got it made as executable, and a dialog box popped ip saying Selected file does not have read permission
Whoa, bummer, dude! Sorry to hear about the frustration. It sounds like you're having some trouble with file permissions. When you mention that the "Selected file does not have read permission," it means you don't have the necessary permissions to read the file. Have you tried checking the file's permissions using the ls -l command? You might need to change the permissions using the chmod command. Let me know if you need more help, and I'll be stoked to assist you!

OK… finally able to open etcher. Do you have instructions for creating the bootable usb in etcher?

OK… finally able to open etcher. Do you have instructions for creating the bootable usb in etcher?
Dude, that's awesome! I'm stoked that you were able to open Etcher. Creating a bootable USB with Etcher is a piece of cake. Just follow these simple steps:

1. Plug in your USB drive, bro.
2. Open up Etcher, and it should automatically detect the drive.
3. Choose the ISO file you want to burn. You gotta make sure you've got the ISO file for the operating system you want to boot from, ya know?
4. Double-check that the target drive selected is the USB drive.
5. Hit the "Flash!" button and let Etcher do its magic, man.

Etcher will take care of the rest, verifying and flashing the image onto the USB drive. Once it's done, you'll have a sweet bootable USB ready to go! Let me know if you need any more help along the way. Good luck, bro!

Now when I plug in my usb3.0 stick it shows up twice as Writable and as Linux Mint 21.2. Do I need to format it? Then Etcher is sitting at “Flash from file” “Flash from url” or Clone drive

Now when I plug in my usb3.0 stick it shows up twice as Writable and as Linux Mint 21.2. Do I need to format it? Then Etcher is sitting at “Flash from file” “Flash from url” or Clone drive
Hey, dude! It's totally normal for your USB stick to show up with multiple entries when you plug it in. One entry labeled as "Writable" is your USB stick itself, and the other entry labeled as "Linux Mint 21.2" is the partition on the USB stick that contains the operating system.

You don't need to format the USB stick if you want to create a bootable USB for Linux Mint. Etcher will take care of that for you during the flashing process.

When you're on the Etcher "Flash" screen, you'll want to select the "Flash from file" option since you have the ISO file. Make sure to browse and select the Linux Mint ISO file you want to flash.

"Flash from URL" is used when you want to input a direct download link for the ISO file. "Clone drive" is used to clone an existing bootable USB drive to another, which is not what you're looking for right now.

So go ahead and select "Flash from file", choose the Linux Mint ISO, and let Etcher do its thing. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask, bro!

Ok, I have the bootable usb created. I have Gparted live downloaded to my Downloads folder, but when I reboot from my usb, how will I be able to use Gparted? Is it part of the bootable I just made or do I need to install it or something first? Some detailed instructions fir what to do after booting from usb will be useful

Ok, I have the bootable usb created. I have Gparted live downloaded to my Downloads folder, but when I reboot from my usb, how will I be able to use Gparted? Is it part of the bootable I just made or do I need to install it or something first? Some detailed instructions fir what to do after booting from usb will be useful
Right on, man! You're making progress. GParted Live is indeed a separate tool that you'll need to use after booting from your USB drive. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to use GParted Live:

1. Plug in your bootable USB drive and restart your machine.
2. Make sure your system is set to boot from the USB drive. You might need to adjust your BIOS settings to prioritize the USB drive as the boot device.
3. Once your system boots up from the USB drive, you'll be presented with a boot menu. Choose the option to boot into GParted Live. It should be something like "GParted Live" or "GParted Live (Default settings)".
4. GParted Live will load and present you with a user interface. Take a moment to soak in the power of partitioning, bro.
5. From here, you can use GParted to modify your disk partitions. You can create, resize, delete, and format partitions as needed. Just be careful and make sure you understand the impact of your actions before applying any changes, man.
6. When you're done with GParted, you can either shut down your machine or reboot back into your regular operating system.

Remember, GParted Live runs in memory, so any changes you make won't be saved unless you choose to apply them. Always double-check your actions before committing to any partition changes.

That should get you rolling, dude! If you have any more questions or need further guidance, feel free to ask. Good luck with your partitioning adventure!

I’m in bios & the only boot sequence options are my ssd drive, ubuntu, which is the linux instance on my PC hard drive, and windows boot manager. I don’t have an option for my usb stick

I’m in bios & the only boot sequence options are my ssd drive, ubuntu, which is the linux instance on my PC hard drive, and windows boot manager. I don’t have an option for my usb stick
Bummer, dude! It seems like your BIOS might not be detecting the USB stick as a bootable device. No worries, though! We can try a couple of things to resolve this:

1. Make sure your USB stick is properly connected: Double-check the connection of your USB stick and try plugging it into different USB ports on your machine. Sometimes, a loose connection or a specific USB port can cause detection issues.

2. Enable USB boot support: In your BIOS settings, there should be an option to enable USB boot support. Look for something like "USB Boot" or "USB Devices" and ensure it's enabled. This will allow the BIOS to detect and boot from USB devices.

3. Try a different USB port: If you're still not seeing the USB stick as a boot option, give it a shot by plugging it into a different USB port. Sometimes, certain ports are more compatible with bootable devices.

If none of these options work, it's possible that your BIOS might not support booting from USB. In that case, you could consider creating a bootable DVD instead, if your machine has a DVD drive. Alternatively, you may need to consult your device's manual or manufacturer's website for specific instructions on booting from external media.

Keep on rocking, and let me know if you need any more assistance, bro!

It booted from what I think was the usb, but did not give me an option for Gparted live It is now at mint desktop with only install Linux Mint snd my ssd drive and the usb stick listed on the desktop

It booted from what I think was the usb, but did not give me an option for Gparted live It is now at mint desktop with only install Linux Mint snd my ssd drive and the usb stick listed on the desktop
Well, that's a twist, dude! It sounds like your system booted into the Linux Mint desktop from the USB stick instead of presenting you with options like GParted Live. In that case, we can try accessing GParted directly from within the Linux Mint environment. Here's what you can do:

1. Open up a terminal, bro. You can usually find it in the applications menu or by using the keyboard shortcut "Ctrl + Alt + T".

2. In the terminal, type the following command to install GParted:

Code:
   sudo apt install gparted

This will download and install GParted on your Linux Mint system.

3. Once the installation is complete, you can launch GParted by typing the following command in the terminal:

Code:
   sudo gparted

This will open up GParted, and you can start managing your disk partitions from there, dude.

If GParted wasn't available directly as a boot option, this method should still allow you to use it within the Linux Mint environment. Remember to exercise caution when making any changes to your partitions.

If you need any further assistance, feel free to ask, man!

I guess it didn’t boot from usb. All I see in gparted are the partitions on the pc hard drive, not the ones for the ssd drive

I guess it didn’t boot from usb. All I see in gparted are the partitions on the pc hard drive, not the ones for the ssd drive
Hmm, that's a bummer, dude. It looks like the system didn't actually boot from the USB drive, which is why you're only seeing the partitions from your PC's hard drive in GParted.

To ensure that your system boots from the USB drive, you may need to change the boot priority in your BIOS settings. Usually, the option to change the boot order can be found under the "Boot" or "Boot Priority" section in the BIOS menu.

Make sure to prioritize the USB drive over your SSD and other boot options. Once you've made the changes, save and exit the BIOS settings, and your system should attempt to boot from the USB drive upon the next restart.

If you're still having trouble booting from the USB, it's possible that the USB drive isn't properly configured as a bootable device. You may want to recreate the bootable USB using a reliable tool like Etcher or Rufus, ensuring that the ISO image is correctly written to the USB drive.

Give it another shot, dude, and let me know if you need any further assistance. I'm here to help!

I checked “Devices” at the top of gparted screen & found the ssd
Hey, awesome discovery, dude! Glad you found the SSD in GParted. That means it's successfully detected by your system and you can work with its partitions.

Now that you've located the SSD drive in GParted, you can start managing its partitions. You can resize, create, delete, or format partitions as needed. Just be careful and double-check your actions before applying any changes to avoid unintentional data loss.

If you need any specific guidance on what to do with the partitions on your SSD, feel free to let me know, bro. I'm here to assist you with your partitioning adventure!

I can go to resize/move & I tried to reduce the sda3 (/home)partition to free up space to add to sda1 (/) but it will not allow changes. resize button is grayed out

I can go to resize/move & I tried to reduce the sda3 (/home)partition to free up space to add to sda1 (/) but it will not allow changes. resize button is grayed out
Bummer, dude! If the "Resize/Move" button in GParted is grayed out and not allowing you to make changes to the partition, it's likely because the partition is currently in use.

To successfully resize the partition, you'll need to perform the operation from outside of your running system. You can do this by booting into a live environment, such as an Ubuntu or Linux Mint Live USB, to access GParted.

Here's what you can do:

1. Create a Live USB: Prepare a Live USB of Ubuntu or Linux Mint, just like you did before.

2. Boot from the Live USB: Restart your machine and boot from the Live USB. Remember to adjust the boot order in your BIOS settings to ensure the USB is detected as a bootable device.

3. Launch GParted: Once you're in the live environment, open GParted and locate your SSD and the partitions you want to resize.

4. Resize the Partition: With the partitions in the Live GParted, the "Resize/Move" button should now be available. You can now resize the partition to free up space and adjust the sizes as desired.

Remember to double-check your actions before applying any changes, as resizing partitions can potentially lead to data loss if not done correctly.

Give it another shot, dude, and let me know if you need any further assistance. I'm here to help you with your partitioning journey!

They bith have a key icon by their names. I guess that means locked?
Ah, I see, dude! If the partitions in GParted have a key icon next to their names, it indicates that they are locked or in use. This is likely why the "Resize/Move" button is grayed out and you can't make any changes to them.

To successfully resize the partitions, you'll need to unlock them first. Here's how you can do it:

1. Make sure you're running GParted as the root user: In the terminal, type the following command to launch GParted with root privileges:

Code:
   sudo gparted

2. Select the locked partition: In the GParted interface, click on the locked partition that you want to resize. It should be highlighted.

3. Unmount the partition: Right-click on the selected partition and choose the "Unmount" option. This will unmount the partition and release any locks on it.

4. Retry resizing: Once the partition is successfully unmounted, try the "Resize/Move" operation again. The button should now be enabled, allowing you to resize the partition.

Remember to exercise caution when resizing partitions, as it can affect your data. It's always a good idea to back up any important files before making any changes.

Give it another go, bro, and let me know if you need further assistance. Good luck with your partition adjustments!

Members online