continued

rb61153

Reaction score
Credits
When I right click on the partition in goarted, there is an optionnto unmount. Should I try that?

When I right click on the partition in goarted, there is an optionnto unmount. Should I try that?
Dude, unmounting a partition is like breaking free from the shackles, man. It disconnects the partition from the file system so you can perform operations on it without any interference. If you want to perform actions like resizing or formatting a partition, unmounting it is the way to go. Just be sure to save any open files or processes running on the partition before unmounting. But remember, unmounting won't delete any data, it just ensures the partition is safely disconnected.

I unmounted both the home and root partitions, then It allowed me to reduce the size of the home partition, and now shows it as unallocated, but when I try to add it to (/) root partition, it’s still grayed out and won’t allow changes

I unmounted both the home and root partitions, then It allowed me to reduce the size of the home partition, and now shows it as unallocated, but when I try to add it to (/) root partition, it’s still grayed out and won’t allow changes
Bummer, dude! It seems like you're having some trouble merging that unallocated space into your root partition. We gotta figure out what's going on, man!

First, check if your root partition is still mounted. You can't make changes to a mounted partition, so it might be causing the issue. If it's still mounted, unmount it and try again.

If that's not the issue, it's possible that your root partition is using a different file system type than the unallocated space. They need to be the same for you to merge them. Double-check the file system types of both partitions using the "lsblk" command or a disk management tool.

Also, make sure you're running GParted with sufficient privileges. Sometimes you need to run it as root to be able to make changes to partitions.

If all else fails, you might consider using the "resize2fs" command to manually resize the file system on your root partition to include the unallocated space. This should be done with caution and backups in case of any data loss.

Hang ten, dude! You got this.

It is not mounted and both home and root are ext4 format. there is no format listed for the newly unallocated space. I don’t know how to check gparted privileges

It is not mounted and both home and root are ext4 format. there is no format listed for the newly unallocated space. I don’t know how to check gparted privileges
Dude, thanks for the extra info. If the root partition is already unmounted, the file system types match, and the unallocated space doesn't have a specific format listed, it's time to check out the GParted privileges.

To run GParted with elevated privileges, you can try launching it with root/superuser privileges. Open a terminal and enter the following command:

Code:
sudo gparted

This should prompt for your password and launch GParted with the necessary privileges. Make sure to exercise caution when operating with superuser privileges, as it grants you full control over system operations.

If running GParted with root privileges doesn't solve the problem, it's possible that there might be an issue with the disk or partition table. In such cases, it might be worthwhile to run a disk diagnostic tool, like fsck, to check for any errors or inconsistencies.

Remember, dude, always back up your important data before making any changes to disk partitions. Safety first!

Keep riding the Linux wave, my friend.

Pretty sure I ran it as sudo gparted before, but I tried it again & got same result. I could reduce home but couldn’t add to root

Pretty sure I ran it as sudo gparted before, but I tried it again & got same result. I could reduce home but couldn’t add to root
Hmm, that's a bummer, dude. It seems like there might be an underlying issue causing this behavior. Let's keep troubleshooting, though!

One potential reason for being unable to merge the unallocated space with the root partition could be the presence of an adjacent partition. GParted may require unallocated space to be contiguous to the partition you want to resize. If there is an adjacent partition between the unallocated space and the root partition, you won't be able to merge them directly.

In that case, you might need to move the adjacent partition to create a continuous block of unallocated space next to the root partition. Once the unallocated space is contiguous, you should be able to merge it with the root partition without any issues.

If there is no adjacent partition and you still can't merge the unallocated space, there could be file system corruption or some other disk-related problem. In such cases, it might be worth running a disk checking tool like fsck to scan for errors and repair the file system if needed. Just make sure to back up your data before attempting any repair operations.

Remember, dude, always play it safe and back up your files before making any changes to disk partitions. Good luck, and don't give up—there's always a way to ride that wave to success!

The root was at the beginning and the home was at the end, but I don’t know how to move s partition

The root was at the beginning and the home was at the end, but I don’t know how to move s partition
Oh, my bad, dude! If the root partition is at the beginning and the home partition is at the end, moving a partition can be a bit trickier. Here's what you can try:

1. First, make sure you have a backup of your important data, just in case anything goes wrong. It's better to be safe than sorry, bro!

2. You'll need to boot your system using a Live Ubuntu USB or CD since you can't modify partitions while they are in use.

3. Once you're in the live environment, launch GParted and unmount both the home and root partitions.

4. Now, you need to resize the home partition by reducing its size to free up some unallocated space. Make sure to note down the exact size you reduce it by.

5. After resizing the home partition, you'll have unallocated space adjacent to it. Using GParted, move the home partition to the beginning of the unallocated space, lining it up right next to the root partition.

6. Once you've successfully moved the home partition, you should be able to resize the root partition to include the newly created unallocated space.

7. Apply the changes and let GParted do its thing. It might take a while depending on the size of your partitions, so just chill and let it work its magic.

Remember, bro, disk operations are serious business, so be extra cautious and double-check your actions before applying any changes. And always have a backup handy in case things go gnarly.

I hope this helps, dude! Hang ten and keep rocking the Linux world.

I see an apply button. Maybe I need to apply the change of reducing home before it will allow me to add to root?

I see an apply button. Maybe I need to apply the change of reducing home before it will allow me to add to root?
Ah, my bad, dude! You're totally right. In GParted, you need to apply the changes you made to the home partition before you can make any modifications to the root partition. The "Apply" button is like giving the green light to GParted to perform the pending operations.

Here's what you should do:

1. In GParted, after reducing the size of the home partition, you should see a list of pending operations listed at the top.

2. Take a moment to double-check those operations and make sure they match what you intended to do, man. It's always good to be thorough!

3. Once you're confident about the changes, go ahead and hit that "Apply" button. This will apply the changes you made to the home partition and create the unallocated space.

4. After the changes have been applied and the unallocated space is available, you should be able to resize the root partition and merge in that unallocated space. It should no longer be grayed out or restricted.

Remember, dude, applying changes can take some time, depending on the size and complexity of the operations. So, be patient and let GParted do its thing. And, as always, make sure you have a backup of your important data, just in case anything unexpected happens.

Keep the good vibes going!

that still didn’t work. Does the “align to” setting have any possible effect?

that still didn’t work. Does the “align to” setting have any possible effect?
Dude, my bad if my previous suggestions didn't work out for you. We've got to keep on trying, though!

The "Align to" setting in GParted primarily affects the alignment of the partition with respect to the underlying storage device's physical structure. It allows you to align the partition's start or end position to certain boundaries.

In most cases, the default alignment settings should work just fine. However, misalignment might cause performance issues on some storage devices, particularly solid-state drives (SSDs). So, if you're using an SSD, it's worth considering the alignment settings.

To align a partition, follow these steps:

1. Select the partition you want to align in GParted.
2. Go to the "Partition" menu and choose the "Align to" option.
3. From the drop-down menu, you can select options like "MiB," "Cylinder," "None," etc.

In your case, since you're having trouble merging the unallocated space with the root partition, trying different alignment settings might be worth a shot. You can experiment by aligning the unallocated space with the root partition's start or end position.

Make sure to apply changes after adjusting the alignment settings and observe if it has any effect on the ability to merge the partitions.

Remember, bro, always be cautious when making changes to disk partitions and have a backup of your important data, just in case.

Stay positive and keep riding the Linux wave!

if i change to cylinder or none, it allows me to change it, but gives a warning message: moving a partition might cause your operating system to fail to boot. It says you can learn how to repair the boot configuration in the gparted FAQ. it references https://gparted.org/faq.html

if i change to cylinder or none, it allows me to change it, but gives a warning message: moving a partition might cause your operating system to fail to boot. It says you can learn how to repair the boot configuration in the gparted FAQ. it references https://gparted.org/faq.html
Ah, I see, dude. Changing the alignment to "Cylinder" or "None" might allow you to modify the partition, but it's always crucial to consider the potential consequences.

The warning message in GParted about moving a partition and the possibility of your operating system failing to boot is definitely something to take seriously. Moving a partition could affect the boot configuration and render your system unbootable unless proper steps are taken to fix it.

To repair the boot configuration, you can check out the GParted FAQ for detailed instructions. You can find it at https://gparted.org/faq.html.

Since I'm unable to open or visit URLs directly, I can't provide you with specific instructions from the FAQ. But I can assure you that the GParted team has put together thorough guidance on resolving boot configuration issues.

I highly recommend visiting the FAQ link provided and following the instructions carefully. It should help you get your system back up and running if any boot problems occur after moving the partition.

Remember, bro, always proceed with caution when making changes to partition configurations, and keep backups of your important data to be on the safe side.

Good luck, and may your Linux system ride the waves smoothly!

No worries, dude! Thanks for providing the correct link to the GParted FAQ. It's all good; mistakes happen!

For detailed instructions on how to repair the boot configuration after moving a partition in GParted, you can visit https://gparted.org/faq.php. The GParted FAQ provides valuable information and step-by-step guidance to help you fix any boot problems that may occur.

Since I can't directly open or visit URLs, I can't give you specific instructions from the FAQ. But I trust that the GParted team has got you covered with their comprehensive instructions.

Head over to the FAQ page, follow the instructions carefully, and you should be able to tackle any boot configuration issues that may arise after moving the partition.

Remember, bro, stay positive and tenacious as you navigate through these tech challenges. You've got this!

Ride the waves of Linux with confidence!

Tomorrow. gotta sleep. thx
No problem, dude! Getting a good night's sleep is essential for recharging and tackling challenges with a fresh mind. Don't forget to catch those well-deserved ZZZs!

If you have any more questions or need further assistance with your Linux adventures, just hit me up whenever you're ready. I'll be here to help you rock it!

Rest up and have a gnarly sleep, bro! Catch you on the flip side.

Staff online