Debian “trixie” Release Information

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits

thanks for the update @f33dm3bits, though I suspect it will be 2 years or so before release. Bookworm is working great here.
I will caution those who try to install via the live usb image that I encountered problems with the apt sources list provided by that method. But the net install image worked great.

trixie/sid. Since the Bookworm release I have already had a couple hundred updates.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-06-13_08-38-01.png
    Screenshot_2023-06-13_08-38-01.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 235
thanks for the update @f33dm3bits, though I suspect it will be 2 years or so before release. Bookworm is working great here.
I will caution those who try to install via the live usb image that I encountered problems with the apt sources list provided by that method. But the net install image worked great.
Can you elaborate about your problems with apt from the live DVD?

I prefer to use the default "generic" top level domains at "deb.debian.org" and "security.debian.org" in the sources.list file rather than point to a specific mirror. Something wasn't right. I noticed it on Sunday, the day after the release. When I looked inside /etc/apt, the sources.list file had some URLs that were a specific, but randomly chosen mirror ... and not a particularly good one, either.

What started me looking down that path were connection and / or other failure messages that I saw while running "apt update" and maybe "apt upgrade". There many outside distractions and interruptions at the time. I do not remember what happened for sure. I deleted that virtual machine a couple days ago. I created some new ones with different desktops for comparison yesterday. Those installations have the

trCan you elaborate about your problems with apt from the live DVD?

I prefer to use the default "generic" top level domains at "deb.debian.org" and "security.debian.org" in the sources.list file rather than point to a specific mirror. Something wasn't right. I noticed it on Sunday, the day after the release. When I looked inside /etc/apt, the sources.list file had some URLs that were a specific, but randomly chosen mirror ... and not a particularly good one, either.

What started me looking down that path were connection and / or other failure messages that I saw while running "apt update" and maybe "apt upgrade". There many outside distractions and interruptions at the time. I do not remember what happened for sure. I deleted that virtual machine a couple days ago. I created some new ones with different desktops for comparison yesterday. Those installations have the
sure, When you install from the live dvd /usb stick. You get only a partial /etc/apt/sources list file. It does not include non-free-firmware tags and no update entries either. So when you try to install a program or do an upgrade it gives a dpkg error.
I filed a bug report and several others have also. But for now if you want a fully functional system it best to install via the netinstall image or the full dvd/usb image not the live one.

sure, When you install from the live dvd /usb stick. You get only a partial /etc/apt/sources list file. It does not include non-free-firmware tags and no update entries either. So when you try to install a program or do an upgrade it gives a dpkg error.
I filed a bug report and several others have also. But for now if you want a fully functional system it best to install via the netinstall image or the full dvd/usb image not the live one.
This was helpful. I had seen a comment somewhere about it. When I performed DVD installations, I always said "Yes" to the "Use a network mirror?" question during installation. This afternoon I downloaded a Debian 12.0.0 Netinstall version and tried four different default installations. Here are the results of the contents of the /etc/apt/sources.list file:
  1. Debian 12.0.0 installation (Netinstall):
    TEST RESULTS: The sources.list file was complete and the "#deb cdrom:..." line was commented out as it should be.
  2. Debian 12.0.0 installation from DVD with a Yes to the "Use a network mirror?" question. It is the way I installed Debian 12 prior to this thread.
    TEST RESULTS: The sources.list file was complete, but the "deb cdrom:..." line was NOT commented out as it should be.
  3. Debian 12.0.0 installation from DVD with a No to the "Use a network mirror?" question. The installer remained connected to the internet during installation.
    TEST RESULTS: The sources.list file was incomplete. Only the "deb cdrom:..." line appeared.
  4. Debian 12.0.0 installation from DVD with a No to the "Use a network mirror?" question. The installer could not route to the internet during installation.
    TEST RESULTS: The sources.list file was incomplete. Only the "deb cdrom:..." line appeared.
    -> These are the same results as the test above. Internet connectivity did not matter.
(1) Debian 12 Netinstall sources.list:
Code:
$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
#deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 12.0.0 _Bookworm_ - Official amd64 NETINST with firmware 20230610-10:21]/ bookworm main non-free-firmware

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bookworm main non-free-firmware
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bookworm main non-free-firmware

deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security bookworm-security main non-free-firmware
deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security bookworm-security main non-free-firmware

# bookworm-updates, to get updates before a point release is made;
# see https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_updates_and_backports
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bookworm-updates main non-free-firmware
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian/ bookworm-updates main non-free-firmware

# This system was installed using small removable media
# (e.g. netinst, live or single CD). The matching "deb cdrom"
# entries were disabled at the end of the installation process.
# For information about how to configure apt package sources,
# see the sources.list(5) manual.

(2) Debian 12 DVD-only (Use a network mirror? = Yes)
(Almost the same as above, but the "deb cdrom..." was active and pointed to the DVD version, not the Binary "NETINST" version. It was not commented out. There was no comment block at the bottom, either. Everything else was identical.
Code:
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 12.0.0 _Bookworm_ - Official amd64 DVD Binary-1 with firmware 20230610-10:23]/ bookworm main non-free-firmware
(The rest is the same as above, but without the comment block at the bottom.)

(3 and 4) Debian 12 DVD-only (Use a network mirror? = No). The same results for both.
Code:
$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 12.0.0 _Bookworm_ - Official DVD Binary-1 with firmware 20230610-10:23]/ bookworm main non-free-firmware

• Debian 12 DVD Network Mirror Question.jpeg - Installer dialog box asks to use a network mirror to install the latest updated version.
  • Debian 12 DVD Network Mirror Question.jpeg - Installer dialog box that appears if the installer cannot route to the internet.
Debian 12 DVD Network Mirror Question.jpeg

Debian 12 DVD Configure Non-Routed Network.jpeg

(Edit, the next morning: Corrected typo'd results for test #3.)

Last edited:
Great test it would be interesting to see how fast they fix this problem with the /etc/apt/sources file as it is a vital one.
My test of the Live version showed and incomplete sources file and no non-free-firmware. and no update entries at all.
thus my warning about using that method to install with. But it seems from your testing that other methods may be affected also. Thanks for the work. :)

Members online