Deep Thoughts and Strange Ideas. Do You have them too?

Sherri is a Cat

Reaction score
Credits
I have a lot of strange questions and ideas. I thought I'd put some of mine here. Maybe you have some too?

To start off,

Can you make a candle out of earwax?

Short answer no unless you are an ogre.

Can you make a candle out of earwax?

Yes.

earwax

1. Remove the r, w, and x, leaves

eaa

2. Move the last a to the beginning, followed by a space

a ea

3. Swap the e and the a

a ae

4. Insert a c before the second a

a cae

5. Insert n, d, l (lowercase L) between the second a and the e

a candle

Now you have a candle out of earwax.

What, not what you were looking for?

Wizard

Attachments

• 1710297657208.png
    1710297657208.png
    246.7 KB · Views: 40
<groan>

Thats not a dad joke. Thats a granddad joke.

Don't know if this qualifies, I'll leave that to the OP.

Saturday 16th March 2024 (tomorrow, at my time of writing), Queenslanders go to the Polls to vote in aldermen and women (Councillors) and Mayors for all the local government shires across the state.

Our state agency for elections sent the following to us some weeks ago, via email, and it says in part

1zllOwD.png

The large blacked out object is a QR code or similar.

Now, I was going to print this out today, ready for tomorrow, then thought

"Hang on a second!" and did some searching.

Historically, to vote, we attend on the nearest primary school or church hall, queue up and when at the front, a seated person asks our name and address, and using a ruler and pen put a line though the relevant entry in a large register of voters, issue us with ballot papers and off we go to a booth where there is a pencil or pen awaiting us, vote, fold papers and put in box.

(no such thing as electronic voting out here in the Boonies).

There are around 5,500,000 people in Queensland, of whom 3,500,000 are enrolled voters.

So our Electoral Commission have saved on trees by emailing us a notice on how to vote more quickly, but in return, they are asking for us to print out 3.500,000 pages to do so.

How many trees is that lost???

So tomorrow, I will:

attend on the nearest primary school or church hall, queue up and when at the front, a seated person asks our name and address, and using a ruler and pen put a line though the relevant entry in a large register of voters, issue us with ballot papers and off we go to a booth where there is a pencil or pen awaiting us, vote, fold papers and put in box.

jB4fRu6.png

Above is me, as the frog, doing my little bit to save the planet.

Avagudweegend, all

Wizard

Don't know if this qualifies, I'll leave that to the OP.

Saturday 16th March 2024 (tomorrow, at my time of writing), Queenslanders go to the Polls to vote in aldermen and women (Councillors) and Mayors for all the local government shires across the state.

Our state agency for elections sent the following to us some weeks ago, via email, and it says in part

1zllOwD.png

The large blacked out object is a QR code or similar.

Now, I was going to print this out today, ready for tomorrow, then thought

"Hang on a second!" and did some searching.

Historically, to vote, we attend on the nearest primary school or church hall, queue up and when at the front, a seated person asks our name and address, and using a ruler and pen put a line though the relevant entry in a large register of voters, issue us with ballot papers and off we go to a booth where there is a pencil or pen awaiting us, vote, fold papers and put in box.

(no such thing as electronic voting out here in the Boonies).

There are around 5,500,000 people in Queensland, of whom 3,500,000 are enrolled voters.

So our Electoral Commission have saved on trees by emailing us a notice on how to vote more quickly, but in return, they are asking for us to print out 3.500,000 pages to do so.

So tomorrow, I will:

attend on the nearest primary school or church hall, queue up and when at the front, a seated person asks our name and address, and using a ruler and pen put a line though the relevant entry in a large register of voters, issue us with ballot papers and off we go to a booth where there is a pencil or pen awaiting us, vote, fold papers and put in box.

jB4fRu6.png

Above is me, as the frog, doing my little bit to save the planet.

Avagudweegend, all

Wizard
Exactly!

Assuming we humans aren't morons, trees are a near-infinite resource (with properly managed forests).

I live in a paper-making region (less so now as much of the world's paper is from China) and on land once owned by a paper company.

So, this is something we've thought about.

There still needs to be natural forests but we have plenty of land available for harvesting trees for paper. The great thing about trees is you can grow them again and again.

I also live in the most forested state in my country. We have a whole lot of forests! Like, a huge swath is forested land. We imposed laws on those paper companies, preventing them from clear-cutting and forcing them to replant.

We've done away with a great deal of plastic in favor of paper. Plastic bags are nearly unheard of outside of refuse bags, though many have opted for their own personal grocery/shopping bags.

But, all that is an aside...

I actually just had a question. Or maybe two questions...

Is my memory correct and that voting is mandatory in Australia, potentially carrying fines if you do not vote? If so, is that in all elections or just the national elections?

(I think that can be answered factually and without 'politics'.)

Does this mean that there are synthetic colors, but they're not certified?

Yup...

As an example...

While less true today, Red Dye #7 used to be made from beetles. This is still the case in some 'all natural' products. These were certified for use. Well, they still are certified for use.

Also, 'vanilla' extract was/can be from a sedated beaver's anal glands.

Again, less true today but 'artificial flavoring' can mean all sorts of delightful stuff.

One of the grocery stores here quit taking back their plastic bags to be recycled.

I typically bring my own bags. When I don't, I always reuse those bags. I recycle everything I can. My trash has been reduced to 1 tall kitchen trash bag every 3 or 4 weeks. If there was a recycling facility around here somewhere, I would probably have zero trash.

I recycle everything I can.

Yup.

I pay (I could do it myself) for garbage services, so I like to send as little as possible.

No, I don't live in an area you'd recognize. I'm in an unincorporated township. I have zero municipal services, not even fire or a highway department. Unless you live on the state highway, of which there are one, you're even maintaining your own road.

So, I try to send as little as possible. We do have proper recycling, however. That means stuff we send to be recycled is really recycled and not just separated and thrown into different sections of the same landfill. (That's remarkably common.)

Compulsory voting means that Australian citizens are obligated to vote in local, state and federal elections.

Just over 20 countries worldwide, including Australia, have compulsory voting laws in place.

Compulsory voting means that Australian citizens are obligated to vote in local, state and federal elections.

Just over 20 countries worldwide, including Australia, have compulsory voting laws in place.

That's what I thought/remembered.

It'd be politics to say what I really think of the idea.

So, I'll just add an emoticon: :)

(I too am subject to the rules.)

Off-topic: It's the middle of the night (after midnight, I forgot to take my sleepy drugs) and the police/fire/rescue radio (scanner) just went off. Some dude hit a deer (we have giant deer here, sometimes upwards of 300 pounds) on a motorcycle. It's like 5° C right now and the middle of the night.

There is an old saying......people get the politicians they deserve

Am sure that factors into the debate somewhere/somehow

Similar emoticon : ;)

Off-topic: It's the middle of the night...

Given that this thread is in an off-topic forum, about strange ideas and thoughts, doesn't this seem a tad redundant?

@Sherri is a Cat .... "But seriously, I need to stop now. Thoughts are getting jumbled up in my head. This is when I start shooting off reply after reply because I just remembered or just thought of something"

Good night.

Members online