Deleting a duo boot Ubuntu/Mint

Loefe

Reaction score
Credits
Hey, I am brand new. Came from Apple. My problem : I installed both Ubuntu and Mint as a duo boot. To find out which one would my favoured on. It will be Mint. But how can I remove Ubuntu from my computer and have only Mint ?

But how can I remove Ubuntu from my computer and have only Mint
you can use a partition manager [g-parted for example] and delete the partition that contains Ubuntu, you may then need to re-build the boot grub, If your only going to have mint on its own I would be inclined to save any work to USB, and do a complete re-install [which will totally wipe everything from the current main drive] which ever you do remember to install timeshift [or similar] when finished

oh and welcome to the forums

..also remove Ubuntu kernel and Ubuntu line from grub. Or at least make Mint default os.

G'day Loefe, Welcome to linux.org

I would second @Brickwizard's approach.

Save any data etc,,,,and do a fresh install of Linux Mint.

This the most effective way of 'cleaning' the disk

it should take you no more than 20 minutes

When asked, opt to use the whole/entire disc for Linux Mint

If it were me I would also make a separate home partition. Then if you have to reinstall you won't lose a lot of your customization and you would not have to backup home to restore your customization. backing up home is a good idea just on general principles.

Timeshift is a good way to back up your installation, it's saved my butt a couple of times now.

--glenn

Hey, I am brand new. Came from Apple. My problem : I installed both Ubuntu and Mint as a duo boot. To find out which one would my favoured on. It will be Mint. But how can I remove Ubuntu from my computer and have only Mint ?
I did the following : went to Ubuntu and cleared the partition. Restarted and git message : No Boot…!” Closed computer inserted UBUNTU ISO again but I choosed : overwrite Mint. Close computer insert Mint and do just the same as with Ubuntu. So Ubuntu on holidays and Mint on duty. It seems to work perfect.

I did the following : went to Ubuntu and cleared the partition. Restarted and git message : No Boot…!” Closed computer inserted UBUNTU ISO again but I choosed : overwrite Mint. Close computer insert Mint and do just the same as with Ubuntu. So Ubuntu on holidays and Mint on duty. It seems to work perfect.
I am glad that all works.
When multibooting, ideally is too keep boot manager on separate partition, this way deleting OS (partition) will not render system unbootable.
I suppose than in your case either Ubuntu installer took over Grub or Mint (when installed after Ubuntu) added entry to existing Grub on Ubuntu partition so deleting Ubuntu partition automotically removed grub.
If you want to multiboot checking different distros, maybe create small boot partition and move grub there so it will be safe when deleting OS partition.

I believe the wat I did it wasn’t the way a pro should do. But for me I just started only a week ago with Linux. I was looking on internet but all those terms explanations where for me difficult to understand (but this will come). So I used my common sense. I made a back up on a separate extern disk so I didn’t lose anything. And for me the end result counts. It’s working perfectly. Thanks anyway for the help

When multibooting, ideally is too keep boot manager on separate partition, this way deleting OS (partition) will not render system unbootable.

Not necessary.

When I install a distro, I have it install the bootloader to the device, not to the partition. And I install it to the same drive as holds the new distro.

...unless, by the above you are talking about the ESP - EFI System Partition, which is another matter.

Cheers

Wizard

Members online