Dislike to Linux

your biggest problem is mindset,
Thankfully I got over that and I made it....

through the windows to the brighter outside,

OK learning how to install applications
I didn't think it was all that hard to install any that aren't in repository already

missing drivers, will take a while to get use to
I didn't think it was all that bad.
The Linux drivers turned to be better anyway, so it was a wasted effort. I did learn a few things though

changing from Photoshop to gimp will take time,
I can't tell the difference.

But the everyday point and click computing that 95% of Windows users do, is the same with Mint/Ubuntu/Debian and many other distributions.
Unless you told me, I wouldn't even know it wasn't Windows.

Just give yourself time,
For what???

Linux has a recovery point like my previous OS.
This is what TimeShift is for

I just need to extend the life of my perfectly good laptop, which the other OS 11 does not allow me to do.
Of the multitude of reasons I ditched the Giant, this is only one.

Also, I do not find that Linux is actually faster, but I can live with it.
Even the least capable laptop I first used with Linux left any Windows OS I used lagging behind.
After getting Linux installed on my much more capable desktop, one that needs to be able to handle heavy duty graphics for rendering and design software, I'm blown away. Really, I'm absolutely blown away at how much faster everything is, how many apps I can leave open, tabs and windows in my browser, and while I'm doing all of that I'm watching IPTV.

Windows could NEVER handle all of that.

This is what TimeShift is for

Of the multitude of reasons I ditched the Giant, this is only one.

Even the least capable laptop I first used with Linux left any Windows OS I used lagging behind.
After getting Linux installed on my much more capable desktop, one that needs to be able to handle heavy duty graphics for rendering and design software, I'm blown away. Really, I'm absolutely blown away at how much faster everything is, how many apps I can leave open, tabs and windows in my browser, and while I'm doing all of that I'm watching IPTV.

Windows could NEVER handle all of that.
You are right. I am amazed when I am at my linux station and have 3 browsers 9 websites open, a video and 8 other programs running all at once and everything is responsive.

LINUX IS AWESOME

You won't believe this. Looked around in timeshift, wanted to change my display settings, couldn't find what i needed and rebooted. Get a message unable to launch cinnamon - session-cinnamonX session not found
Falling back to default session.Which of course it does not do! Have to go through the whole reinstallation again!
Erik,
Look at it this way - re-installing an OS is part of the learning process. With each time you do a re-install, you will learn something new. I can't count the number of times I have installed, or re-installed a Linux distribution. It's all a part of the learning process, and showing us that we do have control of our computer.
As far as changing your display settings is concerned. Timeshift is not intended to be used to change your display settings.
For that you must go to the menu {bottom left on the bottom panel}; On the left side you will see System Settings control center. Click on that and it opens a new window. Under the Hardware heading you will see Displays. Open this and you will see two tabs Layout and Settings.
Hope this helps a little bit.
Why on earth would you be looking around in Timeshift to change your display settings???

I'm brand new to Linux. This is a no-brainer for me.

I promise I'm not trying to be rude, but maybe you should take everything to a professional.
@Sherri is a Cat
Unfortunately most professionals are not familiar with Linux.
I have a son who is a professional and is not familiar enough to give advice on Linux. {I know more about Linux than he does!}

OG
TC

We don't use it in Puppy - we have a far simpler solution for all that! - but I know you guys all like Timeshift. As Charlie says, it's effectively the same as Windows SystemRestore.....except you've got full control over what it does.

I made an interesting discovery some months ago.

We all know modern Windows is pretty heavy.....it demands plenty of RAM, uses a fair chunk of disk space, etc, etc. I could never understand why many of the Windows users at one of my other watering-holes all reckon you need at least 500 GB of disk space to run it correctly....

Apparently, not only does it want a LOT of room for the update process, it also has a tendency to fill up all your free disk space with "ghost copies" of itself! Err.....huh??

Can anybody else confirm this?

Mike. o_O

it's effectively the same as Windows SystemRestore.....except you've got full control over what it does.
I would add that TimeShift actually works
Apparently, not only does it want a LOT of room for the update process, it also has a tendency to fill up all your free disk space with "ghost copies" of itself! Err.....huh??

Mike. o_O

Yes, they hide a lot of things from users.
Other than to say they use a lot of deceptive tactics, I'm going to keep quiet.

Last edited:
You are right. I am amazed when I am at my linux station and have 3 browsers 9 websites open, a video and 8 other programs running all at once and everything is responsive.

LINUX IS AWESOME
I just remembered something I should have mentioned in those comments about how much faster Linux is. I'm able to ALL OF THAT using the hotspot on my phone. Not only that, I live so far away from the closest tower that I have to keep the phone in certain areas of the house to get a good 4G LTE connection. 5G isn't an option this far out in the country.

I would never get this with Windows, regardless of my hardware.

We all know modern Windows is pretty heavy.....it demands plenty of RAM, uses a fair chunk of disk space, etc, etc. I could never understand why many of the Windows users at one of my other watering-holes all reckon you need at least 500 GB of disk space to run it correctly....

Mike. o_O

Yes it's true...windoze has always filled up with heaps of temp files since day one.
1711507471215.gif

Here's my win 7 VM...it has 11GB of temp files and not even connected to the net and hardly used or updated for 10 years.
1711507657263.gif

1711507595247.png

If this isn't another of many reasons to switch to Linux I don't know what is.
1711507902405.gif
1711507925309.gif

I set my display to be larger as I have difficulty in reading the very small fonts. This unfortunately makes some screen displays too big. This was the case with Timeshift, looking around to see what it was all about. Wanted to get the display back to 100% was when this happened. Even I would NOT use Timeshift for that. Anyway, the re-installations are getting easier and easier. Everything fine till the next time.

Looking back I can see now that I was somewhat rude. I could have been a lot more understanding and polite.

I apologize for my thoughtlessness.
It's OK. It was just my frustration coming through when trying to install Linux the first time, and now trying to get my display full screen in a legible form without cutting things off and then not being able to recover things when they went South. Will get there eventually. Thanks for the support anyway.

Let me just tell you this,
I was very apprehensive about using Linux. I thought I would be typing commands and doing everything from the terminal. It's not like that at all. There some little things that throw me off sometimes when I'm expecting the reaction I would get using Windows. The transition has been relatively easy. The last time I used Windows was the day after I tried Linux. I got the files I wanted to keep and then installed Linux. I haven't been back and I haven't missed a single thing about it.
There are lot's of really nice people around around here. I can occasionally be an ass. When I realize that, I put it on a leash.

I first used Linux on an old Lenovo laptop. Very basic, shipped with Windows 8.1. It sounds like you may have been using Win 10. If so, you shouldn't have any problems with Linux. If you're the type to do all of that reading to figure out how to do things yourself in a new OS, you should be fine.

One of the things I learned about Linux is that there is so much less I have to do to get things to work. It's the unnecessary things I've tried to do that made more work for me.

The biggest issues are with installing drivers/programmes that are not part of Linux, and am then told it is all about the kernel you run, something I never used to worry about. Everybody is scratching in their own sandbox, and use terminology you have no sense of.

If your goal is to seamlessly run proprietary programs (and drivers) on Linux then I hate to break this to you but I'm afraid you're not on the right track my friend. That is why Windows is Windows, Mac is Mac, and Linux is Linux.

I learned this the hard way many many years ago, the worst thing you can do on a Linux machine is to treat it like Windows or expect Windows (or Mac) programs to run on it properly. There are some good or even much better software alternatives out there that are actually built for Linux OS. The ones I use work much better than the proprietary ones at least in my experience.

Getting there. Trying to unlearn from 3.1.

I'm going to share a few things that helped me move over to Linux, or even use itfor that matter

One

It sounds like you've been at this non-stop for quite sometime now. We're probably just like two peas in a pod. Obstinate.
When I go at something that hard and continue hitting speed bumps, it's usually because my mind needs a break. When I stop and let my mind untwist itself, every single time I come back I realize the one stupid little thing I missed or keep doing wrong.

Two

Don't 'unlearn' anything. Forget everything.

To my mind, unlearning is no different than comparing. "Thiis ( Fill in the Blank ) works with Windows. Why doesn't ( Fill in the blank ) work with Linux?" I understand that. The end goal is pretty much the same in both OS's. How you get there is what is different.

Everyone keeps saying Linux is not Windows. That's true, but its definitely not hard. Maybe it would be for some people, but I dont think it would be you. I suspect you're thinking too much and too hard. That's what I do. I think so much and so hard, I'm so stubborn that I can't see what's right in front of my face.

STOP IT!!!

I make things a lot harder for myself when I refuse to cut it out for minute or two.

Three

Ask for help. Linux has its own language. Don't use Windows terminology. Most people here don't use Windows or haven't for a very long time and Windows has changed a lot since they did.

Just tell people what you want to do and how to go about doing it. I'm sure you'll find it a lot easier to do it this way. If you're like me, you'll learn something and then be able to build on it later. Things you'll look up on the internet will make a lot more sense and you'll be able to do more and more things on your own. That's how I started out with Windows. You probably did too.

If you do that and even a less than decent computer (I'm sure your's is more than decent) I think your opinion of Linix will change.

I set my display to be larger as I have difficulty in reading the very small fonts. This unfortunately makes some screen displays too big. This was the case with Timeshift, looking around to see what it was all about. Wanted to get the display back to 100% was when this happened. Even I would NOT use Timeshift for that. Anyway, the re-installations are getting easier and easier. Everything fine till the next time.
I'm pretty sure their is an option in display settings that only makes the text bigger. I'm not at my tower now, but I'll look around later.

In setting, you will find preferences, open look for accessibility, and you can increase the font size [normally its set for about 16 point changing the setting will take it to around 24 point]

Members online