Dislike to Linux

I set my display to be larger as I have difficulty in reading the very small fonts. This unfortunately makes some screen displays too big. This was the case with Timeshift, looking around to see what it was all about. Wanted to get the display back to 100% was when this happened. Even I would NOT use Timeshift for that. Anyway, the re-installations are getting easier and easier. Everything fine till the next time.
Erik,
The more you do it, the more comfortable and confident you will get. That seems to be the way it works.
BTW I downloaded LM 21.3 Cinnamon and installed it on my test machine, alongside LMDE 6; which is what I am using to post this now. It took about 1 hour for the whole process, including all the updates.
I have some great news for you when it comes to burning Distros on a USB stick now that you are using Linux Mint. If you go to Menu and highlite All Applications, and scroll down to USB Image Writer; this little program does the same thing that Balena Etcher, and the others do. I love it cause it is so easy to use.
OG
TC

I am beginning to dislike Linux more and more. Everything is an issue. very few of the solutions you see everywhere actually work, and then you find out yourself that there is a much easier solution. The biggest issues are with installing drivers/programmes that are not part of Linux, and am then told it is all about the kernel you run, something I never used to worry about. Everybody is scratching in their own sandbox, and use terminology you have no sense of.
The latest is my Linux just reboots at will when watching movies from an external usb drive. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to this. Any pointers?
The rest is now working fine. Sound, scanner, printer, font sizes, appearance, desktop slide show etc. But nothing came easy, unfortunately.
This is the reason I never suggest Linux to Windows users.
However, if you have problems with OS (does not matter which) you need to explain the issue otherwise nobody will be able to help.
Performance (of any OS) is up to you. You can tweak Linux to get more speed: load faster, run games faster, run desktop apps faster.
Incompatible software: first specify what software then maybe someone here will help.

I predict that you will go back to Windows (?). There is nothing wrong with going back to your previous OS of course.

Everything in life depends on prejudice, prejudice come from ignorance, ignorance come from laziness (the effort to try and understand the unknown).

I don't blame people for that. Why bother about something when our current knowledge works ?

When I bought my Chromebook a decade ago I threw it into the closet after a few months of use, until my daughter borrowed it. Maybe she was in the tight spot with money back then.;) Then she show me how to use the Extensions which made it very usable for my need. Then it became the door knob (unsupportable). Linux made it usable again resurrected.

Saving my money and the environment, that count for me.

I have absolute no comment to add to the wise things said by much wiser people than me, in this topic. I would only like to share my experience with you:

I don't like Linux as such. I also don't like Windows as such. I have used, quite extensively NewDos/80, Atari TOS, MS/DOS (most versions), Novell NetWare, MS Windows (most versions), OS/400, Xenix, Linux (lUbuntu, Debian/Pi OS, Kali), MacOS. And I view them all the same: each of these systems have their strong points and their weak points, but all are great in their own way for their own purpose. All are quite horrible at doing what they are not great for.

If you want nothing to do with your operating system (like Linux) and just want it to run the application programs you need, you should look for the OS that supports your way of working and your applications, and that is just it.

The problem comes when you have conflicting requirements like you seem to have. You want to run application programs written for Windows if I understand you correctly, with the ease of use of MS Windows (yes, it has a way of being easy if you are used to it), and the hardware requirements of a version of Windows no longer supported. So you turn to Linux as it has far less hardware demands than a Windows version with similar capabilities.

The thing is, you don't need to like or dislike Linux. It is a tool. And if you are using a tool that is not really fit for your purpose, it may still work, but it will not work as fine as the tool you really need. You can hammer a nail in a tree with a shovel. But chances are you will not like your shovel for it. I would just recommend to keep in mind that you choose the shovel because you are not willing to choose the hammer. Don't blame the shovel for it, but learn to hammer nails with a shovel. Give it time, and maybe, just maybe, you will someday also dig a hole in the ground with the shovel and discover it is a great tool for that. You may even start to like it.

But it is just a tool. The majority of sane people do not love Linux. There is nothing wrong with that. The great thing is, that those few strange people who do love Linux, also love to help others with it.

(I must correct one thing I said. I do like Linux. No, I love Linux. Maybe I love OS/400 even more, but still)

It's OK. It was just my frustration coming through when trying to install Linux the first time, and now trying to get my display full screen in a legible form without cutting things off and then not being able to recover things when they went South. Will get there eventually. Thanks for the support anyway.
@Erik Groothuijzen :-

Well, you've got the right idea at least. The honest-to-God quickest way to learn Linux IS to dive-in and start making mistakes. If you've got any "nous" about you, you'll very quickly learn from those mistakes.

(During my first few months with Linux - I started off with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, the "Trusty Tahr" - you truly would not believe the sheer number of times I broke Ubuntu and had to re-install it (YET again..!!)

It gets easier, trust me.

Mike. ;)

Maybe I love OS/400 even more
I paid my mortgage with it (30+ years !)
The BEST, security wise !
I once wrote a program, just for fun, to prevent a file from being opened by anyone, including me, the Security Officer, but a designated person !
The Security Officer (QSECOFR) is Administrator Windows equivalence.

I paid my mortgage with it (30+ years !)
The BEST, security wise !
I once wrote a program, just for fun, to prevent a file from being opened by anyone, including me, the Security Officer, but a designated person !
The Security Officer (QSECOFR) is Administrator Windows equivalence.
As a student I had to configure the security setup to AS/400 native, for a company that was running its AS/400 in S/36-mode. A very interesting learning experience. I fell in love with both the ease of use and the very well designed security philosophies of the system.

But well, dreams, dreams for old men.

Can't say I have any problem with Microsoft Windows OSs.

When it comes to Flight Simulators and other real gaming Windows OS rules always has and always will.

Windows has all of the graphics drivers one needs for gaming where Linux kinda just lacks on gaming drivers from my experience.

Linux for general computer use does what I need to do on a computer.

I ain't into all of the political crapola that some Linux users seem to be into and complain about Bill Gates and what he's doing I just don't care.

Linux is Linux and Windows is Windows and Microsoft is Microsoft and someone somewhere will not like one of them or all of them.

It don't matter to me I'll use whatever OS that's on the computer in front of me wherever I'm at.

When it comes to Flight Simulators and other real gaming Windows OS rules always has and always will.

Windows has all of the graphics drivers one needs for gaming where Linux kinda just lacks on gaming drivers from my experience.

I ain't into all of the political crapola that some Linux users seem to be into and complain about Bill Gates and what he's doing I just don't care.
you shouldn't care about bill gates. he left microsoft in 2008 so he really had nothing to do with windows for quite some time. The reason windoze is so big on the games is because people wrote them for windows. if they were written for the AS400 then that would be the big thing out there. Marketing is the key.

I have absolute no comment to add to the wise things said by much wiser people than me, in this topic. I would only like to share my experience with you:

I don't like Linux as such. I also don't like Windows as such. I have used, quite extensively NewDos/80, Atari TOS, MS/DOS (most versions), Novell NetWare, MS Windows (most versions), OS/400, Xenix, Linux (lUbuntu, Debian/Pi OS, Kali), MacOS. And I view them all the same: each of these systems have their strong points and their weak points, but all are great in their own way for their own purpose. All are quite horrible at doing what they are not great for.

If you want nothing to do with your operating system (like Linux) and just want it to run the application programs you need, you should look for the OS that supports your way of working and your applications, and that is just it.

The problem comes when you have conflicting requirements like you seem to have. You want to run application programs written for Windows if I understand you correctly, with the ease of use of MS Windows (yes, it has a way of being easy if you are used to it), and the hardware requirements of a version of Windows no longer supported. So you turn to Linux as it has far less hardware demands than a Windows version with similar capabilities.

The thing is, you don't need to like or dislike Linux. It is a tool. And if you are using a tool that is not really fit for your purpose, it may still work, but it will not work as fine as the tool you really need. You can hammer a nail in a tree with a shovel. But chances are you will not like your shovel for it. I would just recommend to keep in mind that you choose the shovel because you are not willing to choose the hammer. Don't blame the shovel for it, but learn to hammer nails with a shovel. Give it time, and maybe, just maybe, you will someday also dig a hole in the ground with the shovel and discover it is a great tool for that. You may even start to like it.

But it is just a tool. The majority of sane people do not love Linux. There is nothing wrong with that. The great thing is, that those few strange people who do love Linux, also love to help others with it.

(I must correct one thing I said. I do like Linux. No, I love Linux. Maybe I love OS/400 even more, but still)
The reason he's looking at Linux is because ONCE AGAIN, the Giant is putting limitations on what users are allowed to and force feeding them crap they don't want. They're ending support for his OS but his perfectly good pc won't run on their latest.

I finally disgusted enough to dive into Linux head first no matter how different or difficult it might be. After release, everyone got a daily, sometimes more than once a day pop up reminding us to get our free upgrade to Win 10 before it was too late. They trained people to mindlessly click the 'X' on the top right corner every day when it popped up on the screen. I happened to notice something different the that clicking the 'X' changed from "Remind Me Later" to "Just close this box to agree to the TOA and install Win 10"

I refused the upgrade. When they started pushing Win 11, it got worse.
Even though support my OS was discontinued and I was' t supposed to receive any more updates, MS continued to download and install them. It got harder and harder to find out what they did.

I can't say for certain they were behind the last problem I had,. But I wouldn't be at all surprised after the crap I put up with for NINE YEARS. The last thing pushed me over the edge as soon as it happened. I jumped in head first and I haven't looked back.

Because they are subtle, most people don't have any idea nothing is actually wrong with their computer. I was getting harder and harder to figure out what the latest game was.

Erik,

Don't worry we all have our moments...the other day I booted to the Live Session and noticed the Advanced Options for Linux Mint 21.1 was missing...Mint must have changed it.
1711601866719.gif

After some time I relised (stupid me) it was never there in the first place...I have to Re-Boot while tapping the Shift Key to bring up the Grub Menu where it has always been.
1711602356848.gif

Linux is Linux and Windows is Windows and Microsoft is Microsoft and someone somewhere will not like one of them or all of them.

It don't matter to me I'll use whatever OS that's on the computer in front of me wherever I'm at.
Never had any real problems with Windows but refuse to be badgered into replacing a perfectly good working laptop to upgrade to Windows 11.

I recently switched from Windows. I just had to remember what everyone kept telling me. Linux is not Windows. No one told me I shouldn't try it and no one said it was hard. My anticipation was what caused problems. I jumped into live Linux Mint one night and that was all I needed. I haven't used Windows since then. I wiped the drive and installed Linux. Best thing I ever did to reduce my stress!

The display settings give you a 100% or 200% view, and the incremental one is experimental and does not work very well. I need the whole web page bigger, not only the fonts, which setting I also found. So now I have 100% (too small), or 200% (too large) which in some cases cuts off part of the page and won't scroll down to the bottom. So I now toggle between two views when it cuts off some of the page. And b.t.w., Aristarchus, your prediction will be proven wrong, I won't go back to Windows!

Is it just in the wwb browser?

If it's only in the browser, that's where changes need to be made

Never had any real problems with Windows but refuse to be badgered into replacing a perfectly good working laptop to upgrade to Windows 11.
If anyone bought a new computer to run Windows 11 that was their decision and choice to do.

No one from Windows or Microsoft held a gun on them and made them buy a new computer.

My newest computers are from 2012 and 2013 and run Linux no one has ever or will ever badger me to buy a new computer period.

If people allow themselves to be badgered to replace a good working computer to upgrade to Windows 11 well that's on them and no one else.

Last edited:

Latest posts