Solved Don't work Live USB

Solved issue

Maybe I need to somehow format the hard drive, not the USB stick?
Once you boot from the USB, you can use gparted to format the internal disk. Did you try already?

Once you boot from the USB, you can use gparted to format the internal disk. Did you try already?
I CAN NOT boot from the USB. This is MAIN problem.

I can ONLY load Grub from internal hard disc.

I CAN NOT boot from the USB. This is MAIN problem.

I can ONLY load Grub from internal hard disc.
After reformatting and rewriting the .iso? Did you try? Your other pc has Linux?

Yes, I tried. Now I installed Xubuntu instead Puppy on Live USB.
And stiil won't boot from it? Like I said, the pc might be seeing the internal disk as a USB, so you must make really, really sure you select the flash drive plugged to the USB port in the bios.

And stiil won't boot from it? Like I said, the pc might be seeing the internal disk as a USB, so you must make really, really sure you select the flash drive plugged to the USB port in the bios.
And don't work.

Attachments

• IMG_20240106_162719_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240106_162719_HDR.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20240106_154255_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240106_154255_HDR.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 207
And don't work.
Ok. You'll need to get your hands a little "dirtier". Turn off and open your laptop, remove the internal disk, then turn it back on and try booting from the USB drive. If it works, the problem is the hard disk, most likely, you'll have to attach the internal disk via USB and format it.

Ok. You'll need to get your hands a little "dirtier". Turn off and open your laptop, remove the internal disk, then turn it back on and try booting from the USB drive. If it works, the problem is the hard disk, most likely, you'll have to attach the internal disk via USB and format it.
Could you give instructions?)

I'm afraid of damaging something again.

See? Screenshot one clearly shows you're selecting the internal disk: USB FDD. Instead, you need to select the first one: USB HDD SANDISK 3.2gen1. That's the USB drive.

See? Screenshot one clearly shows you're selecting the internal disk: USB FDD. Instead, you need to select the first one: USB HDD SANDISK 3.2gen1. That's the USB drive.
No. So I specially lowered the cursor below so that the first line was highlighted in blue. Because this white color was not visible in the photo.

IN THE FIRST LINE - USB HDD.

No. So I specially lowered the cursor below so that the first line was highlighted in blue. Because this white color was not visible in the photo.

IN THE FIRST LINE - USB HDD.
Oh, ok. But, yeah, the laptop sees the internal disk as a USB and for some reason selects that one instead of the flash drive.

Oh, ok. But, yeah, the laptop sees the internal disk as a USB and for some reason selects that one instead of the flash drive.
I disabled booting from the hard drive in Bios/UEFI.

In this case, Grub did not load. It just said that System isn't installed.

But the Live USB did not load then either.

Could you give instructions?)

I'm afraid of damaging something again.
Well, I have never owned or had access to one of those laptops, but you can google the model, something like "remove internal disk from Lenovo X121e with AMD E-450" and you should get some results on how to. In fact, I just did https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/...te-drive-replacement-thinkpad-e450-e455-e450c
It's pretty easy, easier than most laptops I've seen. Just watch the video, follow the instructions and you should be fine.

Well, I have never owned or had access to one of those laptops, but you can google the model, something like "remove internal disk from Lenovo X121e with AMD E-450" and you should get some results on how to. In fact, I just did https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/...te-drive-replacement-thinkpad-e450-e455-e450c
It's pretty easy, easier than most laptops I've seen. Just watch the video, follow the instructions and you should be fine.

But ... When I disabled HDD boot in Bios/UEFI, isn't that the same as physically disabling the SSD?

But ... When I disabled HDD boot in Bios/UEFI, isn't that the same as physically disabling the SSD?
Don't know. But I just googled "disabled HDD boot in Bios/UEFI Lenovo X121e with AMD E-450" and nothing came, so maybe you didn't really? Is there a "disable internal HDD" option in BIOS? I've never seen any.

Formatting to gpt? Why have you got 2 gpt partitions. Why not formatted to ext4?
I think you are screwing around too much.

REinstall. Simply boot a usb containing the OS of your choice, and then double click on 'Install Linux Mint' (etc) and choose to use the whole disk.
Allow the installer to make whatever partitions need making, and to take care of formatting.

(before you do any of the above, it may be simpler to enter the bios and reset it to defaults. You may need to disable fast boot and secure boot after doing this)

Last edited:
before you do any of the above, it may be simpler to enter the bios and reset it to defaults. You may need to disable fast boot and secure boot after doing this

Exactly what I would focus on, first.

Reset to Default Settings or Factory Settings and reboot, then plug in the Xubuntu stick and reboot and choose it to boot first.

Cheers

Wizard

Don't know. But I just googled "disabled HDD boot in Bios/UEFI Lenovo X121e with AMD E-450" and nothing came, so maybe you didn't really? Is there a "disable internal HDD" option in BIOS? I've never seen any.
1) I overwrote the Xubuntu USB stick once more.
2) I disabled booting from the hard drive in BIOS/UEFI.
3) Inserted Live USB Xubunta - it finally started.
4) I immediately install it on the hard disk.
5) During the installation process, there was a Grub error message (WTF?), but then Xubuntu said that the installation was completed successfully.
6) I remove the Live USB, reboot the laptop, enable booting from the hard drive in Bios/UEFI.
7) The laptop boots back into Grub. But Grub is newer version 2.06 (was 2.03 before).
8) Grub responds to the boot command: "you need to load the kernel first".
9) Maybe somehow load the kernel? Should I reinsert the Live USB and somehow remove Grub from the hard drive?

What shall I do?

Last edited:

Members online