Doubt on FreeBSD

Bentleyy

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all,

I was trying to install FreeBSD using an old version ISO file. When I finished installing, there is no GUI desktop, but only command shell.

Is there any way to install GNOME or KDE desktop on FreeBSD?

By the way, I am a fan of FreeBSD's cute red devil logo. :D

Thanks in advance,

Bentleyy.

G'day Bentleyy, Welcome to Linux.org

Why an old version?.....which version?

FreeBSD does not come with a desktop, and it does not prompt you to install one. If your version is too old, you will not be able to update or install anything because the repos will be shut down. If your version is still supported, you'll have to manually install Xorg first, and then the desktop you choose, and you'll need to manually edit some config files, like rc.conf and a few others. You can find instructions with Google or on YouTube.

To make life easier, you could use GhostBSD instead. It is based on FreeBSD and comes with the MATE desktop. You could also try NomadBSD which includes a desktop and runs on a USB flash drive. Nomad runs very slow in my experience, but maybe it will be better for you.

@KGIII Can you move this to the off-topic section since this is a GNU/Linux forum and not a BSD forum?

Last edited:
It is indeed off-topic. We're a Linux forum, not a BSD forum. They're different operating systems.

Staff online

Members online