Error installing Ubuntu on my external SSD (fixed)

Revalution77

Reaction score
Credits
Hi people!

I'm starting my studies in the IT area and I intend to learn a little about Linux.

I've been using Linux on VirtualBox but I intended to install Linux on my external SSD nvme2, but every time I try it gives me an error. I've tried installing Ubuntu more than 4 times and every time it says it can't complete the installation.

After this error I went to gpart and checked if it was being recognized and the external SSD did not appear, however when I go to install and select where I want to install my external SSD appears.

I can save games and various applications on my external SSD but I really wanted to install Ubuntu (or another Linux distro, not necessarily Ubuntu) on my external SSD.

My config:

SSD: Kingston NV2 NVMe PCIe SNV2S/1000G Internal SSD Drive, Multicolour, 1tb

External Case: UGREEN NVMe M.2 Housing USB 3.1 SSD 10Gbps M.2 Case for NVMe PCIe M-Key/M+B Key in 2230/2242/2260/2280

Laptop: IdeaPad Gaming 3 15ACH6/ Ryzen 5 6000H / SSD nvme2 500gb and 16gb of ram.

Does anyone know what the problem is and how to solve it?

Error:

System program problem detected
Do you report the problem now?

cancel | report problem...

we're sorry,but we're not sure what the error is.You can try restarting your computer and start the installation process again.You can also report the issue.

Fixed:
I solved it, both the ubuntu 22.10 version of ubuntu and the new version of ubuntu 24.04 were giving an error.

After trying to download Fedora on my external SSD I had no problems and it was much easier to install.

I think it's Ubuntu that's bugged

thanks

Last edited:

Welcome to the forums
Why Linux fails to load/install direct to HDD, common reasons
1] Corrupt download [check SHA sum]
2] bad burn to installation medium [try again] [if you used Rufus then try Balena Etcher]
3] Wind 8.2 and higher quick start/fast boot or secure boot not disabled [doesn't normally apply to older versions]
4] defective pen-drive/DVD
5] hardware fault,
5A] If old style HDD run integrity check
5B]if SATA SSD check for hidden partition at the beginning of drive [this will stop Grub from loading] and delete it before re-installing Linux
5C] If M2.NVMe check, your system is NVMe compatible [not all older kit is]

ignore 5C] Kingston are compatible, I suspect either 3] above or you are not selecting the correct drive at partition stage of installation

Look in /var/crash That's where crash reports are stored. Sometimes a report gets stuck in there and isn't removed and then you get these recurring 'system program problem' messages. Read the report and if it's not something catastrophic that absolutely needs attention, remove it. - you will have to be root to remove the offending file

Welcome to the forums
Why Linux fails to load/install direct to HDD, common reasons
1] Corrupt download [check SHA sum]
2] bad burn to installation medium [try again] [if you used Rufus then try Balena Etcher]
3] Wind 8.2 and higher quick start/fast boot or secure boot not disabled [doesn't normally apply to older versions]
4] defective pen-drive/DVD
5] hardware fault,
5A] If old style HDD run integrity check
5B]if SATA SSD check for hidden partition at the beginning of drive [this will stop Grub from loading] and delete it before re-installing Linux
5C] If M2.NVMe check, your system is NVMe compatible [not all older kit is]

ignore 5C] Kingston are compatible, I suspect either 3] above or you are not selecting the correct drive at partition stage of installation
I think I've already discovered what the problem is with my SSD. After placing some heavy files, around 200gb, it presents unstable behavior, the reading speed goes very high and then drops and remains at 100% use. And it only resolves after formatting, I researched and I've already found similar reports of the same problems with Kingston's NVMe2 SSD. Anyway, I'll never buy this Kingston SSD again, it will only be used to put games and files on,(the SSD is original).

Members online

No members online now.