Newbie questions > Linux tablet ?

ioctt.com luv

Reaction score
Credits
Is there any such a thing as a commercially available Linux tablet (distinct from an Android tablet) ?
Are there any Windows 11 / Linux dual boot tablets ?

Same answer as per your laptop question

there are Linux tablets but i have never seen one across my bench so not able to comment,
any decent windows tablet can usually have Linux installed to it

Last edited:
I think tablet with Linux is all about Linux ARM builds because tablets mostly run ARM processors, no?

What do you think for the tablet below
Thanks for the Greek link... [I do a little]
this is a 2018 machine with an intel twin core m3-8100y 2 x 1.1gh [turbo around 3gb] two hyper threads per core. so not going to be blazingly fast, only has 4gb ram and 64 gb non-volatile flash memory, I would suggest an ideal candidate for a lightweight distribution [you know the list by now]

as long as distro build for that CPU exists right?

With Linux, there are many things I look at before I suggest a distribution for any particular machine,

The tablet that @Terminal Velocity asked about, only has a small flash drive and a slow CPU so for best results I said a Lightweight distribution would be best. with only a 64 gb flash drive, there would not be much storage left if you installed a full-blown desktop Linux.

@Brickwizard
OK, one more question, hopefully I help with the thread and not derail it...

What if a tablet has android installed on it? how easy it would be to dump android and replace it with some Linux system?
Aren't androids locked to hardware like phones?

What if a tablet has android installed on it
if it was a 32 bit android tablet then bin it, if it only had 8/16 gb flash drive bin it, if it was/is 64 bit with 32/64/126 gb flash YES you can, but do remember they also had minimal non-upgradable ram, if you search the net for install Linux on android tablet you will find several articles and some distribution suggestions [especially developed for the job]

if it was a 32 bit android tablet then bin it, if it only had 8/16 gb flash drive bin it, if it was/is 64 bit with 32/64/126 gb flash YES you can
Thanks but I don't understand this part, you're saying if CPU isn't x64 and flash memory is less than 32G then installing Linux is not wise?
By bin it? what do you mean? to throw the tablet into trash? (I can understand that, tablets are slow as f)

Thanks but I don't understand this part, you're saying if CPU isn't x64 and flash memory is less than 32G then installing Linux is not wise?
From an economics point of view, Android tablets are usually non-upgradable a full-blown Linux distribution needs around 24 GB of flash storage plus for any extra apps you install and storage for your pictures, music, work etc.
32 bit distributions will be unsupported in the next year or so [there are only a handful left]

Before you bin a tablet don't forget to reset it to factory so your personal data be lost
Yeah thanks, actually my family member bought a crappy tablet because it costed only 100€ and then complained how slow it is, but I warned them upfront that for 100€ tablet will be crap not matter what, and it is indeed so.

Now I'm thinking about putting Linux on it to make it better but it appears that money have been thrown into the wind because silly ads make people buy silly things.

I bet this isn't exactly what the OP had in mind, but yes, you can have a Linux tablet. This one is a Raspberry Pi 4B, 8GB, a SSD as (system) drive, external battery pack able to support for about 8 hours. A small touchscreen and you have a working tablet. In my case I have added a mouse for more precision and an ethernet connection for speed. Those can obviously be left at home when traveling. The SenseHAT is a piece of electronics specifically for Raspberry hobbyists and not needed for normal users.

I know this wouldn't be what you think about when you look for a tablet, but it does show a basic thing: linux is not very demanding on hardware, and you can build a lot just the way you like it.

IMG_5582.jpeg
IMG_5583.jpeg

I know this wouldn't be what you think about when you look for a tablet, but it does show a basic thing: linux is not very demanding on hardware, and you can build a lot just the way you like it.
This is very interesting experiment! Does it give a good performance? What programs did could you launch on this setup?