Error mounting hdd - help!!

robcox

Reaction score
Credits
Please help. I've been using linux for 20 years, but the other day I messed up a partition. Now I can't mount my 2TB "storage" ext4 hdd. I thought a tiny dos partition was part of a USB I was formatting, and turns out it was the little 'end' of my 'storage' hdd. Now that little partition is reformatted. The ext4 part is still fine, but how to mount? How to get data off? What do I do to fix the mount/boot partition.
Very upsetting.

I believe you can see the issue in this "parted -l" output:
Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 538MB 537MB primary fat32 boot
2 539MB 500GB 500GB extended
5 539MB 500GB 500GB logical ext4

Model: ATA WDC WD20EFRX-68E (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdc: 2000GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags:

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 1049kB 2000GB 2000GB primary ext4

Can you open up the tool gparted and show us your drive? This may give us infortion about what happened a d how to fix it.

G'day Robcox, and Welcome to linux.org

Please cut me some slack here, as this is just a instinct/guess on my part

If you were to access that hdd in GParted, would that allow you to mount it ?....and therefore be able to get data off etc etc ?

There are different approaches first do nothing if possible with drive so you don't make it worse.you can do things such as using ddrescue basically you can then play with a copy of hd rather than drive itself.we can have a look at locating superblock with commands or via testdisk and pass that to fdck but I'm on phone so I can't do that until tomorrow .Nightshift of course might we arriving ?

Thank you for quick response!
ok, gparted... got it... here we go.
attached

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-05-05 17.41.41.png
    Screenshot from 2020-05-05 17.41.41.png
    129.7 KB · Views: 270
Your drive looks intact. You can right on the ext4 partition and check for errors on the partition.
After that mounting the drive should work Normaly.

Can you be more specific? I don't want to lose my wife's pictures ;)

... so what do I do now??

robjudy@robjudy-GA-990FXA-UD3:~$ sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /media/robjudy
mount: /media/robjudy: mount(2) system call failed: Structure needs cleaning.

When you right-click the ext4 partition in gparted, there will be an option in the context menu to check the disk for errors.
just click it and it will be checked and corrected.

Go gently....

we all hope that hasn't been too 'terminal".....

it worked from the term window. mounted after fix. Thanks friends
NOW how do I add a [SOLVED]? to the thread?

No real need to add solved......but if you were to specify the actual steps taken, /////then I am sure someone with a similar problem will surely see and appreciate the word Solved in the title which you can edit to insert that word....

Staff online

Members online