First Impressions - System76 Darter Pro

dunmoven

Reaction score
Credits
After my first day with this 'new to me' eBay computer, I have to say I am well pleased. The POP!_OS installation went smooth.

Only hick up was I let the wizard do the install and it left a 4G Windows partition from the original owners apparent dual boot set up. No worries though 4G on a 1T drive doesn't amount to much in the grand scheme of things.

Sure would't have said that when I bought my first (very expensive) 10G HDD ...:oops:

Been taking a good bit of time installing my favorites and getting all the hardware and software tweaked to follow my workflow. Really having a good time with it, as suggested I am kicked back in easy chair, feet up, with a cool beverage in my left hand ...:cool:

This auto-magical tiling feature is one of my favorites so far ...

N5nv4L7.png

Does a good job tidying up the mess i usually make of my desktop ...:eek:

That tiling thing looks interesting........wherever I read about Linux it pops up. Is this becoming a familiar sight in Linux in the near future?

Is this becoming a familiar sight in Linux in the near future?
Don't know about that, been away from GNU/Linux for a long time so really just getting my feet wet again and catching up on all the new things.

Here is a link to the POP!-OS page https://pop.system76.com/ that has some good videos on how it works. The Auto Tiling and Stacking in particular.

Don't know about that, been away from GNU/Linux for a long time so really just getting my feet wet again and catching up on all the new things.

Here is a link to the POP!-OS page https://pop.system76.com/ that has some good videos on how it works. The Auto Tiling and Stacking in particular.
That's brilliant!

I never felt comfortable with tiled user interfaces. Integrated Development Environments (IDE) started coming with them a long time ago. They often defaulted to those new tiled interfaces. Most of my coworkers liked them.

I tend to leave default settings unchanged, but this was an exception. Whenever I was given a new IDE with a tiled UI, the first thing I did was look for the setting that broke up the tiles into the traditional separate stacking windows. As new IDEs came out, it seemed to get more and more difficult to find that setting in the tools. I think I may have encountered an IDE that did not include the option.

Since I am trying out many distros anyway (distro hopping), I should try tiling again and give it better understand and a genuine fair try. Thank you for the "suggestion" and for sharing your experience.

Members online