Flathub Plans to Evolve as the Universal Linux App Store

Tolkem

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, everyone! Hope you're all having a nice life! :)
I just bumped into this while checking my feed:
An excerpt:
Why?: The reasoning for a move like this is that; such financial barriers prevent potential developers from getting into developing open-source apps, which in turn hampers the growth of the open-source ecosystem as a whole.
I think it's a good idea, as long as we still have a choice. I don't use and don't really like Flatpaks, but I recognize this might be a big step towards finally making/porting "only Windows' app" to "native Linux ones", wishful thinking? Maybe, time'll tell whether that's the case.

Some months ago I didn't like AppImages or Flatpaks and especially not Snaps. However I started using Flatpaks since some software is not available as an rpm and I didn't want to have to manually convert debs to rpms. I have gotten to appreciate Flatpaks since I can update all my apps from the command-line. I have removed all 32 bit apps from my system and am running Steam and Lutris as Flatpaks too now, runs great. I don't notice a difference in performance, the only thing I notice is that Steam takes a bit longer to launch but I the other apps launch just as fast as the natives. I have two AppImages on my system since there is not Flatpak or available for those but I still prefer Flatpaks because it integrates better into your system with the menu. The last thing is that it's nice to be able to run proprietary apps in Sandbox. So in short for me, some months ago I would rather not use them but now I like use them for certain apps and situations but I still prefer to use the rpm in most cases.

Last edited:

Members online