Flatpak administrator password before installation

I would have thought that that would already be the case, @johnlinux .

What distro and version are you using?

Others may answer.

Wiz

If you are running Linux Mint, and are installing from the Software Manager, there is no password required.

This has caused a few problems because some of the flatpaks have not been verified....in some cases the person responsible for assembling the flatpak has not been named. Usually there will be a sentence on the page saying (in this case for Google Chrome browser)...."
NOTE: This wrapper is not verified by, affiliated with, or supported by Google.
....and nothing else.

This has applied up until LM 21.3

From LM 22 this will not be the case.

Better security​

In a blog post, the Linux Mint team explained why unverified Flatpaks represented a very important security issue: https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=4675

The post highlighted the fact that users REALLY need to trust where they get their software from, and that for most unverified Flatpaks, building up that trust is not possible.

Verified Flatpaks now show their maintainer name.

Unverified Flatpaks are disabled by default.

A warning reminds you of the security risks associated with them.

Unverified Flatpaks are disabled by default

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I realise your question may have meant....can the situation be bought about whereby a password must be used to install a flatpak.
I think not. I have not encountered that possibility.

I am running Debian 12. Wiz are you saying i should expect to enter an administrators password when installing a flatpak app ?

Your initial question could be answered a number of ways....which is what has transpired.

Under normal conditions/circumstances, no password is asked for when installing a flatpak

(You can bring about a situation where a password would be required (perhaps in the interests of security....where other people may have access to your pc...)

Flatpaks are sandboxed, so it is not as if someone is ging to install a malicious flatpak on your pc

I have around 13 Flatpaks installed on my LM 21.3....with no nasty consequences.
In a nutshell, I trust them. I have no reason not to.

Wiz are you saying i should expect to enter an administrators password when installing a flatpak app ?

I may have mislead, I don't really use flatpaks.

Brian ^^^ is one of my Besties, so if he says passwords are not needed, I believe him. :)

There are two ways to install Flatpaks, as user and as system. As user you don't need a password, but if you install it as system you will need a password.

Example of installation of a Flatpak as user.
Code:
flattpak --user install org.mozilla.firefox

Example of installation of a Flatpak as system.
Code:
sudo flatpak install org.mozilla.firefox

One thing to know is as user the Flatpak will be installed in your homedir, so under $HOME/.var and as system the Flatpak will be installed under /var. I have not used Flatpaks on Linux Mint but I have seen how this works on other distributions: RHEL and Arch.

Feature Comparison​

When it comes to packaging software in a Linux environment, two popular choices stand out: Flatpak and traditional system packages.

The Basics of Flatpak​

Flatpak is a packaging technology that aims to provide a consistent and secure way to distribute applications across different Linux distributions. By encapsulating applications and their dependencies in a sandboxed environment, Flatpak enables users to run software in isolation without affecting the system as a whole. This approach offers several benefits, including enhanced security, compatibility with multiple distributions, and the ability to run bleeding-edge software versions.

The World of System Packages​

System packages, on the other hand, have been the traditional method of installing software on Linux systems for years. With system packages, software is installed directly onto the system, integrating with the existing libraries and dependencies. While system packages offer efficient dependency management and seamless integration with the system, they can sometimes lead to conflicts between different packages and software versions.

One of the key differences between Flatpak and system packages lies in their approach to dependency management. Flatpak bundles all necessary dependencies with an application, ensuring that it runs consistently across different systems. In contrast, system packages rely on shared libraries installed on the system, which can sometimes lead to dependency issues and conflicts.