Food Favs

Mike13Foxtrot

Reaction score
Credits
I just finished off some Apple Bourbon chicken breasts. I have this nice 4lb pork loin that is about to get Sweet onion teriyaki with some coconut Bacardi Rum added in. Did once before just enough for a hint of coconut, the Rum cooks off :(. But I can drink a shot in the making.

Rack it for about 7-8 hours.

Scratch what I said at the other thread - goodonyer, I will be a contributor and thanks for sharing.

Chicken Curry

approx 1.5 lbs of chick breasts (800b grams)....just make it a kilo)

i teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 or 4 tablespoons oil...canola/vegetable...
1 medium onion....brown/yellow/red...some parts of the world have yellow onion...use it if you have it
3 or 4 cloves of garlic...minced
1 can coconut milk/cream (13.5 ounces)
2 teaspoons curry powder.....this comes out quite mild......I use a tablespoon and a half
1 tablespoon lime juice....use lemon if you don't have it
cilantro if you have it...2 tablespoons

Serve the whole thing with steamed rice or naan bread......or if you like....mashed potato

Cut chicken into 1/2" - 3/4" bits/cubes
heat 3 tablespoons of oil in large pot or dutch oven over medium/high heat....I use a bit more oil;
When the oil is hot...dump the chicken in and brown it for 3 - 4 minutes....stir it often, so it doesn't stick....Dont over cook it

remove the chicken ...stick it in a bowl

Add the remaining oil...add a bit if you need to....when it's hot, add onion and sauté for 10 minutes...keep an eye on it...don't let it burn....turn the heat down a bit...but keep it sautéing for a while to soften it

Then add the garlic and stir it continuously for 30 seconds or so.

Add the chicken back to the pot.....along with the coconut milk/cream and a teaspoon of salt.....STIR it to combine it....and increase the heat so the curry comes to a Low boil (curry not added yet)

When it is gently bubbling...reduce the heat to a low simmer, and allow to cook for 30 minutes. Yes that is a longish time, which is why I said don't overcook the chicken when you are browning it.

Turn off the heat....stir in the curry powder and lime juice...or just a touch of lemon juice.....If you have a bit of time, allow it to sit for around 10 minutes before serving.....this will continue to thicken the sauce.

Serve with rice or naan bread .....top it with cilantro if you wish. (Cilantro....leaf of coriander plant....alos called chinese parsley......if you dont have it dont worry...it is more than ok without it)

That quantity, when served with rice etc, will usually feed 4

Today, in between bits of auction, I made lasagna with ground moose.

It was delicious, and there's some for lunch tomorrow.

Mmm... Bread pudding...

I didn't have cake on my birthday. I had a giant pan of apple crisp.

I REGRET NOTHING!

I've stomped across the globe. There's some chance that I've been within a day's drive of where anyone here lives. It's even more extensive when we narrow it down to just traveling in the US.

I mention this because I'll try pretty much anything. I will eat a goat's eyeball and cheek meat. I will eat sheep brain and cow tongue. (For the record, all four of those things are kinda disgusting, with cheek meat being the least disgusting of the lot.)

If I'm visiting your area, I want to experience your culture - and that includes food. A whole lot of it is disgusting to my western tastes, but I'll try it. (Probably...)

my mum usd to make 'custard puffs'

The pastry was around the size of a smallish apple......and mostly hollow inside.

The 'custard' was also home made and would be spooned into the puff (after the top was sliced off the puff)

It must have been good !

So many years later, and I still remember standing waiting for the puffs to come out of the oven

So not just favs but instructions...

Hell, yeah - we want to stuff ourselves (well I do).

Saturday night I'll be cooking my favourite dish, so I'll take a couple of snapshots and come back with the recipe. :)

Since my days in university (written that way to help those who don't live in the US), I was pretty poor. You'd be amazed what I can do with ramen!

Anyhow, the language doesn't fit - but it's the perfect meal for a college student. It's especially useful when you want to impress someone.

It's also very quick and easy to make - but you do need to pay attention while cooking.

My recipe follows:

Chicken Sh!t

Ingredients:

Egg noodles.
Boneless chicken breast.
*ZESTY* Italian salad dressing.
Butter.

Tools needed:

Pot large enough to cook many egg noodles.
Large frying pan WITH a cover.
Knife.
Fork.

Start water for egg noodles.

Chop chicken breast into bite-size chunks. Aim for some consistency.

While water boils, put chicken breast in the frying pan. Fill frying pan to the point where you're covering all the noodles. Cover and cook on medium heat.

Add egg noodles to the water.

Using the fork, be sure to flip and rotate the chicken.

Pay very close attention to the temperature in the pan. Otherwise, the concoction will boil over and make a fricken' mess on the stove.

Take noodles off and drain them when they're thoroughly cooked to taste.

Add butter (and salt, pepper, minced garlic, whatever) to the noodles to taste.

By now, the chicken should be white and cooked thoroughly. You can tell because the edges will show signs of cracking, but split a few pieces apart to ensure that the chicken is cooked all the way through.

Serve the chicken over the noodles. Spread some of the left over juices atop the chicken and noodles.

The chicken should pretty much melt in your mouth.

I just kinda stumbled on this recipe as a poor college student. Lacking a better name, I call it "Chicken Sh!t". For years and years, I've fed people Chicken Sh!t - and they have liked it enough to come back for more.

Mix it up a bit, if you want. Toss some extra garlic in there. Toss in some basil. Use a different type of pasta. Mix in dried/ground Parmesan cheese during the chicken cooking phase.

But, key points...

It's quick, it's easy, and it's cheap.

People like it when others cook for them - and cook something different but delicious. This? This is fricken' delicious!

So, go make yourselves some Chicken Sh!t. Unless you're a mutant, I promise you'll like it.

If we ever organise a meetup in Oz, I will bring some Spanish Tortillas(*) for you(**) folks.

It's my party trick that I am personally introducing in the continent, and the flavour you get with no more than three ingredients, olive oil and salt, defies any scientific theory.

(*) tortillas as in omelettes. Eggs are involved, cereals are not.
(**) the aussies and all who chose to come.

Count me in, Gabe. :)

I will bring some Spanish Tortillas
I used to make those back in the days when we had family get-togethers, I also used to make my own Greek Humus and Tzatziki,
shame we are far to far away, would have loved to join in [as long as I didn't have to drink fizzy Ozzie beer.]

Since my days in university (written that way to help those who don't live in the US), I was pretty poor. You'd be amazed what I can do with ramen!

Anyhow, the language doesn't fit - but it's the perfect meal for a college student. It's especially useful when you want to impress a chick long enough to get her to spend the night (if you know what I mean).

It's also very quick and easy to make - but you do need to pay attention while cooking.

My recipe follows:

Chicken Sh!t

Ingredients:

Egg noodles.
Boneless chicken breast.
*ZESTY* Italian salad dressing.
Butter.

Tools needed:

Pot large enough to cook many egg noodles.
Large frying pan WITH a cover.
Knife.
Fork.

Start water for egg noodles.

Chop chicken breast into bite-size chunks. Aim for some consistency.

While water boils, put chicken breast in the frying pan. Fill frying pan to the point where you're covering all the noodles. Cover and cook on medium heat.

Add egg noodles to the water.

Using the fork, be sure to flip and rotate the chicken.

Pay very close attention to the temperature in the pan. Otherwise, the concoction will boil over and make a fricken' mess on the stove.

Take noodles off and drain them when they're thoroughly cooked to taste.

Add butter (and salt, pepper, minced garlic, whatever) to the noodles to taste.

By now, the chicken should be white and cooked thoroughly. You can tell because the edges will show signs of cracking, but split a few pieces apart to ensure that the chicken is cooked all the way through.

Serve the chicken over the noodles. Spread some of the left over juices atop the chicken and noodles.

The chicken should pretty much melt in your mouth.

I just kinda stumbled on this recipe as a poor college student. Lacking a better name, I call it "Chicken Sh!t". For years and years, I've fed people Chicken Sh!t - and they have liked it enough to come back for more.

Mix it up a bit, if you want. Toss some extra garlic in there. Toss in some basil. Use a different type of pasta. Mix in dried/ground Parmesan cheese during the chicken cooking phase.

But, key points...

It's quick, it's easy, and it's cheap.

It will also help you get nookie, in my experience. People like it when others cook for them - and cook something different but delicious. This? This is fricken' delicious!

So, go make yourselves some Chicken Sh!t. Unless you're a mutant, I promise you'll like it.

[post #1]

I quote "First, a generic rule: We're a PG-13 site." I guess that rule only apply to members. :confused:

Are you as tired of beef, chicken and pork as I get, sometimes?

Garlic Rosemary-Marinated Lamb Chops

1 teaspoon finely chopped lemon zest
1 garlic clove, minced and mashed to a paste with 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried
1 tablespoon olive oil
four 1 1/4-inch-thick loin lamb chops (about 1 pound total)
  1. Preheat the broiler. In a small bowl stir together the zest, the garlic paste, the rosemary, the oil, and pepper to taste, rub the lamb chops with the marinade, and let them marinate on a plate for 20 minutes. Broil the lamb chops on the rack of a broiler pan about 4 inches from the heat for 4 to 5 minutes on each side for medium-rare meat.
I marinate overnight for more flavor. Use much more olive oil (about a cup) and twice the dry ingredients when doing so, I suggest. Suit you own taste!

Delicious bartbequed!

@forester
A bit overpowering for me, on lamb with its delicate flavour, would not mind it on something with a stronger flavour, Hogget or Mutton, if [and It's not often] I was to marinate lamb then my favourite is Greek Yoghurt with fresh spearmint

[post #1]

I quote "First, a generic rule: We're a PG-13 site." I guess that rule only apply to members. :confused:

Nope, it applied to me. I thought using non-descriptive terms was okay, but it really wasn't.

So, I edited it.

[post #1]

Nope, it applied to me. I thought using non-descriptive terms was okay, but it really wasn't.

So, I edited it.
At the risk of appearing to look as though I'm trying to instigate trouble or an argument which I'm not it still is the same.

Sh!t.

I got barked at when I used A$$ and some other words which were altered with symbols instead of letters.

Rules for the members.
Rules for the moderators.

Gee I don't see how I missed that in the forum rules.

I'm sure that I'll be accused of trying to start an argument and be placed on vacation.

I see how it works though.

I got barked at when I used A$$ and some other words which were altered with symbols instead of letters.

Which mod did that? It surely wasn't me. Heck, I don't even edit it when I see others do so - I give 'em a gentle reminder that we're PG-13. (I will edit out the F bomb when I see it.)

And, nah, feel free to complain if you think it's unfair. You won't be banned for that, so long as you're civil about it.

Also, if it'd make you happy, I'm more than willing to change it to 'poop' or something.

Members online

Latest posts