FreeBSD/OpenBSD

dos2unix

Reaction score
Credits
I am curious, how many of you, who have been using Linux for quite a while, have ever used one of the BSD derivatives?

I used both FreeBSD and OpenBSD in the past. Some of the commands are similar to Linux, but some aren't.
BSD on x86 usually has very good performance, on par with Linux, and is considered more secure. ( if for no reason
other than it has a smaller target base ).

It has less community support than Linux, so it lags behind in some technologies. Having said that, there are some
popular applications that typically come out for BSD before they do for Linux. Openssh is a good example.

When I was contracting for one of the Wireless telecoms, they used BSD exclusively for their webservers.

I know this is a Linux website, and I use Linux. I'm not trying to steer anyone away from that. I was just wondering
how many people have tried it?

BSD is a PITA and ain't user friendly based on my experience.

True, but I remember feeling much the same way about Linux about 30 years ago. :)

Heh Linux is PITA for most Windows users too.
FreeBSD was my first OS installed in mid 90'.
Security nowadays is similar between Linux and FreeBSD but I remember times when Linux installation ended up with passwordless root while FreeBSD required password.
All is money and original BSD issues with licensing.
I also used OpenBSD in late 90'. There were disk slices... :)

Currently (for me) the major advantage of Linux over BSD is hardware support. Other than this I don't see much difference.

I too remember it from the 90's, the company I worked for had its own business programs Tailored to its needs, this was based on BSD [when all our competition were using off the shelf Mac & Microsoft products] it ran well enough, but I have Never tried it as a home desktop

BSD is a PITA and ain't user friendly based on my experience.
True, but I remember feeling much the same way about Linux about 30 years ago. :)
30 years ago would be around the birth of Linux a bit afterwards perhaps.

I'm a Linux user from around 2013/2014 started with Debian and then Ubuntu.

Confused as hell from the git-go I did manage to figure things out and after several hours I was learning about how to set up Debian using Debian it was cool.

I learned what I needed to but mainly stay with the OOTB Linux distros install and update and use is my philosophy.

I got Arch Linux installed and up and running once but have no desire to spend my life getting things to work that should work OOTB imo.

BSD is okay for those who like tinkering and building with code although not me.

Members online