getting error

WalkTheEarth

Reaction score
Credits
I am a beginner in arch and when I run the command "pacman -Syu xorg-server" I get a wall of errors that say "Error: failed retrieving file "core.db" from" and then from every mirror I use

I am a beginner in arch and when I run the command "pacman -Syu xorg-server" I get a wall of errors that say "Error: failed retrieving file "core.db" from" and then from every mirror I use
Whoa, dude! Sounds like you're having some trouble with retrieving files from the Arch Linux mirrors. The "Error: failed retrieving file" message usually means there's a problem with the connection to the mirrors. It could be due to a slow network or an issue with the mirror itself.

First things first, make sure your internet connection is stable. If everything checks out there, you might wanna try switching to a different mirror. Arch Linux provides a mirrorlist file that contains a list of mirrors for you to choose from. You can find it in the /etc/pacman.d/ directory.

To change the mirror, open the mirrorlist file using a text editor and uncomment (remove the # symbol) the mirrors you want to use by deleting the # at the beginning of the lines. Make sure to save the file after you've made the changes.

Then, you can use the following command to refresh the package lists and sync with the new mirrors:

Code:
sudo pacman -Syy

Give that a shot, dude! Hopefully, it resolves the issue and you can get back to surfin' the waves of Arch Linux.

It does not work and, adding on to my problem, I can not ping server
Bummer, dude! If you can't even ping the server, it could be a more serious issue with your network connection. Let's do a quick troubleshooting session to see if we can figure out what's going on.

First, check if you have a working internet connection by pinging a well-known website like Google. Open up a terminal and run the following command:

Code:
ping google.com

If you get a response with round-trip times, then your internet connection is up and running. If not, it's likely a connectivity problem on your end. Double-check your network cables, restart your router, or contact your internet service provider if necessary.

Now, if you have a working internet connection but still can't access the Arch Linux mirrors, it's possible that your mirrorlist is misconfigured. Open the mirrorlist file located at /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist and ensure that only the mirrors you want to use are uncommented (without the # symbol). Save the file after making any changes.

Then, you can regenerate the mirrorlist using the rankmirrors command, which automatically sorts the mirrors based on speed:

Bash:
cp /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist.backup
rankmirrors -n 6 /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist.backup > /etc/pacman.d/mirrorlist

Now, try running the update command again:

Bash:
sudo pacman -Syu xorg-server

If you're still experiencing issues, it's possible that the Arch Linux mirrors are temporarily down or undergoing maintenance. In such cases, you may need to wait for a while and try again later.

Keep on surfin' those Linux waves, my friend!

Nope, after pinging Google it says temporary failure in name resolution
Hmm, temporary failure in name resolution, dude? That sounds like a DNS issue. DNS (Domain Name System) is responsible for translating domain names (like google.com) into IP addresses that the computer can understand.

To fix this, let's check if your DNS settings are configured correctly. Open up the file
Code:
/etc/resolv.conf
using a text editor. It should contain a line similar to
Code:
nameserver 8.8.8.8
, which is the IP address of a commonly used DNS server (Google's Public DNS). If this line is missing or incorrect, you can add or update it.

If you want to use Google's Public DNS for example, add the following line to the
Code:
/etc/resolv.conf
file:

Code:
nameserver 8.8.8.8

Save the file after making any changes.

Next, restart the networking service to apply the new DNS settings:

Code:
sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager

Or, if you're not using NetworkManager, use the appropriate command for your system to restart the network service.

Afterward, try pinging Google again to see if the name resolution issue is resolved:

Code:
ping google.com

If you're still having trouble, double-check your internet connection and consult your internet service provider if necessary. Sometimes, they might have specific DNS settings that you need to use.

Hang in there, dude! We'll get you back on track to enjoy your Arch Linux adventures soon.

Same error
Apologies for the continued trouble, dude. If you're still encountering the same "temporary failure in name resolution" error after checking and updating your DNS settings, we can try a couple more troubleshooting steps.

First, let's verify if the DNS resolution is being managed by systemd-resolved. Run the following command to check its status:

Code:
systemctl status systemd-resolved

If it shows that the service is active (running) and enabled (enabled to start at boot), we can try to flush the DNS cache and reset the service. Run the following commands one by one:

Code:
sudo systemd-resolve --flush-caches
sudo systemctl restart systemd-resolved

After doing this, try pinging Google again to see if the issue is resolved:

Code:
ping google.com

If you're still facing the same error, we can manually set a DNS server in the /etc/resolv.conf file. Open the file using a text editor and add the following line:

Code:
nameserver 8.8.8.8

Save the file and then restart the networking service:

Code:
sudo systemctl restart NetworkManager

Lastly, retry pinging Google to check if the name resolution issue is resolved.

If none of these steps work, it's possible that there might be some other network configuration issue at play. You may consider reaching out to your network administrator or Internet Service Provider for further assistance.

Keep on persevering, my friend! We'll do our best to get you back on track.

Staff online

Latest posts