gfortran help

abdossamad2003

Reaction score
Credits
hi linux expert
How can I access a help for gfortran in terminal? (for example :about sin function in fortran)
thanks

FORTRAN is as old as I am. Literally, we were both 'born' in the same year. That was 1957. I haven't touched FORTRAN since about 1984.

I know it's still in use, but is there a reason for not using a more popular language - one where you have more support options? Are you trying to work on bank mainframes, or something?

Anyhow, I spent a while looking to see if you could access the help from the terminal. I can't seem to find a way. That does seem a bit of an oversight.

I did find this: https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GFortran#Manuals_and_other_documentation

i used Fortran IV with punched cards at Durham Technical college circa 1975 on a IBM 1132

this is what i get :
bash-5.0$ gfortran --help
Usage: gfortran [options] file...
Options:
-pass-exit-codes Exit with highest error code from a phase.
--help Display this information.
--target-help Display target specific command line option

But i think the OP is really asking about programming and Sine, Cosine as in trigonometry

@abdossamad2003 - the only things I can think of are man gfortran, and/or info gfortran. But they will most likely only contain information about running/invoking gfortran. I don't think there is any built-in help with information about the Fortran language, or its standard library functions. For that kind of thing, your best bet would be the gfortran manual that @KGIII posted a link to in his first post.

Yeah, they're not going to get the kind of help they're looking for from the terminal - just basic usage will be in the man page. They want much more information than is going to be in the man page. They're gonna have to RTFM - and not the man page manual.

I did see that FORTRAN was still the 20th most popular programming language as of a year or two ago. I wonder if COBOL is ahead of it? (I didn't actually dig into it.)

Side note: If you're any good with COBOL today, I'm told that you can pretty much demand your desired salary. It's still in fairly heavy use in financial institutions among others, and there are very few competent devs. So, work as a contractor/consultant and make a mint mint doing so. There exist entire mountains of old COBOL that needs to be maintained and upgraded.

Members online

Latest posts