Glad to be back

How did the food go, Dave?

Chris

How did the food go, Dave?

Chris
Thanks for asking we put quite a bit of it on ice in a cooler and haven't gone through the rest yet, but will today. Lost some stuff I'm sure. As storms go if it had been snow we would still be shoveling but it was rain winds hit 75 MPH here in gust brought down lots of trees 4" of rain in about 4 hours did a lot of damage also. But we are safe and other things can be replaced.
For that we are thankful.

Last edited:
We don't know how much we miss it when we have it :)

Yes it's amazing how much the the internet has become part of our daily life.

Morning routine make the coffee, feed the cat, get a cup of coffee and go to the desktop to see what's happening around the world.

Glad to see you are good to go.

We took some damage and I have just one cell phone that will connect.

The winds were so high that something took out the satellite connection. The dish is dented and the thing that sticks out of the middle is bent. It's beyond my ability to repair it.

They now have mains power in the village, but I am not a priority so the crews headed south.

Some of the solar panels are cracked and I think one of the wind turbines is messed up, probably from automatically feathering and braking.

We will be fine.

We have another wind storm coming tonight. They are saying we will have gusts up around 30 mph.

CMP says I will have mains power back by Friday night at 10 pm. I'm not too worried about that. I just want my cell tower to be up and running again soon.

Typing on a phone sucks.

The T-Mobile tower stayed up for awhile. I was able to comment here and do some quick prep work on the site to explain that there will be no new articles until I have the infrastructure to do so.

You all got walloped. I was optimistic but worried about you a bit. I'm glad you are doing well.

I guess the lower elevations saw 62 mph sustained winds with gust up to 90 mph. I'm sure it was higher up here on the mountain.

But, we will manage. We're Mainers. That's what we do. Speaking of which, my neighbors are all good to go.

Glad to see you are good to go.

We took some damage and I have just one cell phone that will connect.

The winds were so high that something took out the satellite connection. The dish is dented and the thing that sticks out of the middle is bent. It's beyond my ability to repair it.

They now have mains power in the village, but I am not a priority so the crews headed south.

Some of the solar panels are cracked and I think one of the wind turbines is messed up, probably from automatically feathering and braking.

We will be fine.

We have another wind storm coming tonight. They are saying we will have gusts up around 30 mph.

CMP says I will have mains power back by Friday night at 10 pm. I'm not too worried about that. I just want my cell tower to be up and running again soon.

Typing on a phone sucks.

The T-Mobile tower stayed up for awhile. I was able to comment here and do some quick prep work on the site to explain that there will be no new articles until I have the infrastructure to do so.

You all got walloped. I was optimistic but worried about you a bit. I'm glad you are doing well.

I guess the lower elevations saw 62 mph sustained winds with gust up to 90 mph. I'm sure it was higher up here on the mountain.

But, we will manage. We're Mainers. That's what we do. Speaking of which, my neighbors are all good to go.
Glad you are safe Dave. You'll get things back in order eventually ;)

40 hours with out power...I couldn't imagine going through that.
t1949.gif

Two weeks ago we had a blackout from a bad storm for 4 hours and that was bad...last year we had no power for 12 hours because some moron hit a power pole but nothing like you suffered...hope everything is good now.
m1213.gif

t1949.gif

Two weeks ago we had a blackout from a bad storm for 4 hours and that was bad...last year we had no power for 12 hours because some moron hit a power pole but nothing like you suffered...hope everything is good now.
m1213.gif
We still don't have mains power at my house but we all have generators. I was going out so I grabbed a bunch of gas cans to share with the neighbors. My main generator uses diesel and I have plenty.

t1949.gif

m1213.gif
There are still about 100,000 in Maine without power since Monday. So we are blessed it was only 40 hours here.

Also, that is 40 hours during the winter. Fortunately it was above freezing.

I finished cleaning up the trees that were down along the road. It's a private road so there's no municipal assistance, just like everything else in the area. There was nothing on the lines so I was not in any danger. I'd cut through a few and had pulled them out of the way with the truck.

Then the road to the main road is nice and clear. We're good to go when the linesman get to our area.

I cut everything up with my son and his buddy. We cut it up at wood stove length and stacked it off the road far enough to not have to worry about it until spring. Somebody will come take it. One of the trees looks like it'd be a full cord of wood by itself.

A couple of the trees were pine, so I don't know who will take that. Somebody can use it for their campfire, I suppose. You don't burn pine in an indoor stove.

It'll take a while, but things will get back to normal.

I wrote this yesterday but I didn't hit the button to send it. Oops.

Also, I should mention that my network (and mains power) returned today.

So, I'm finally able to type on a real keyboard. That's a great feeling. I despise typing on a phone. Text entry on a phone is just too difficult for me. I miss the old slide-out phones that had QWERTY keyboards attached. Those were also horrible, but they were less horrible (for me).

I touch type, easily typing in the 90 wpm category. Having an acceptable keyboard is an important thing to me. It needn't be an expensive keyboard, it just needs to be acceptable. Phones are not that, at least not for me. I'm sure some folks are good and fast with this, but I am not among that group.

Anyhow... The storm was awesome (and not in a good way). Words like 'spectacular' spring to mind.

Downtown Farmington had something like 18' of water (about 6 meters) at Hippach (spelling?) Field. The water was up and over the round balls that sit atop the fences that surround the front of the field.

Firemen and police were extracting residents via boats and there are still road closures. In fact, some of the roads will be closed for a long time. There are bridges that will need to be torn down and replaced. You can't just nudge 'em back into place. That's not how bridges work.

We've had flooding off and on throughout the year. Those roads had been repaired in many cases. They're now out again.

Then, there are the lives lost - both directly and incidentally. For those folks, things will never return to 'normal'. Their families are also going to have issues getting back to normal and the following holiday seasons will remind them of this year. What more can I say? That sucks.

I'm grateful to have nothing that money can't fix.

Also, there will be a boom in the maternity wards in about 9 months. Following any major outage there's a boom in children born. All that darkness leads to baby making. In fact, my daughter is a 'storm baby'. We built her after a hurricane took out the infrastructure. If you're going to make shirts, now's the time to get that project started. Those shirts always sell well when the children are being born.

Members online