Good Things Happen to Good People

Well, you have done the right thing - likely more than they deserve, do hold your head high. :)

and of course keep a copy of what you hand to him.

Is there any sense in sending a copy of that to the relevant authority, ...?

Maybe not - in Australia (likely varies from state to state and territory) it can be illegal to make your own electrical repairs without being a qualified electrician. No need to place yourself in the crosshairs of possible culpability.

I just added a few things to notes about the central air conditioning. I laughed out loud about how bad this is going to sound....

"All of the duct work is under the house. Other than the back bedroom and master bathroom, all of the duct work has fallen off of the house. The vents are on the floors. I have had raccoons and possums find their way into the house."

and of course keep a copy of what you hand to him.

Is there any sense in sending a copy of that to the relevant authority, ...?

Oh I thought of that!

I'm going to keep a copy of this in several places AND take it to the county. I'll probably tell him I'm going to do that to cover my own butt. If something happens, no can accuse me of withholding knowledge about any of this. I'm not going to be held liable for any of this.

Maybe not - in Australia (likely varies from state to state and territory) it can be illegal to make your own electrical repairs without being a qualified electrician. No need to place yourself in the crosshairs of possible culpability.
It's not illegal.
Septic tanks are another story and vary by county. In some places, septic tanks MUST be installed by a qualified person. That's another thing I have to tell him about, and the county. There are a LOT of home made septic tanks around here. No field lines, collection boxes, just holes in the ground. Some of them are caving in. My landlord couldn't remember where all of them are.

They may have a lot fines to deal with and things to straighten out with the county. If I trusted these people, I would just let them know about it and be on my way. I can't trust them, I have to look out for myself and it's not my problem.

Was there any inventory of the condition of the property and its a/c etc etc etc etc, before you moved in ?.....anything of that nature that you signed and agreed to as pertaining to the condition of the property at that point in time ?

Was there any inventory of the condition of the property and its a/c etc etc etc etc, before you moved in ?.....anything of that nature that you signed and agreed to as pertaining to the condition of the property at that point in time ?
I never had a written contract. They can't say I knew anything about any of this, let alone prove I did. Repairs like the ones I made are legal obligations of the landlord. There's nothing illegal about letting a tenant make repairs. I didn't know about it any of this until after I moved in. I gave my landlord receipts for the electric repairs I made too. They can't prove he didn't know. They also can't prove what I did or didn't do without his knowledge.

Actually, I think I'll take pictures of the condition of all the receptacles (without the covers), light fixtures that I checked, the breaker box and plumbing repairs I made. I'll those to the county also.

Revers this:...instead of ""They can't prove he didn't know. They also can't prove what I did or didn't do without his knowledge.""

Can you prove he did know. Can you also prove you did whatever you did with his knowledge

Sorry to complicate things...perhaps unnecessarily in your case and your country.county

I have a lot of experience with tenancy matters in Australia.

I wouldn't trust the residue landlords as far as I could kick them.

Revers this:...instead of ""They can't prove he didn't know. They also can't prove what I did or didn't do without his knowledge.""

Can you prove he did know. Can you also prove you did whatever you did with his knowledge

Sorry to complicate things...perhaps unnecessarily in your case and your country.county

I have a lot of experience with tenancy matters in Australia.

I wouldn't trust the residue landlords as far as I could kick them.
This kind of thing is why I'm going to take pictures to the county with documentation of the problems here. I'm going email it to the county and the new landlord. The emails will be archived in my account.

If anyone came to look at this place, they would condemn it just because of all of the things I never touched. This isn't only house here in this condition. All they have to do it look around. Plenty of people have said plenty of times this place should have been condemned a long time ago. The electrical issues are only one of the problems here.

Regardless of everything, the owner is the one who is responsible for the condition of this property. Things have been bad for a long time. They are violating a lot of codes as I sit here. They're looking at a lot of money if I say anything while I'm still here.
There is nothing in writing about repairs. I haven't signed anything. Before they could sue me, they have a lot of things they'll have to straighten out and fines to pay. If they tried to sue me, they would have to hire an attorney to do it, or act as their own attorney. That doesn't usually go well. Attorneys fees, court fees, service of process costs a lot of money. They would also have to find out exactly where I am.

If the county knew anyone was in this house right now, they could be in more trouble. It doesn't matter that I've been evicted. It's their responsibility. They are responsible for exercising due diligence.

The county would only be one of their problems. They would also have to deal with insurance companies. Messing around with insurance companies could be worse than the county. I'm pretty sure they would rather try to keep all of this as quiet as possible.

Best doing it from Ohio, if that is what you are thinking of, fine.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

I'm doing the right thing. I have to trust that. I'm pretty sure the judge could see that at the hearing.

It's not about revenge.
This is about doing what I can to keep other people safe and cover my own butt. If they interpret this as revenge, that 's their problem. I'm not sending those emails until I'm out of here anyway. I don't want them bothering me this week wanting to see things.

I will tell him this though...

He is insisting that everything be done according to law and what the judge says. He's literally told me more than once, "No hard feelings".

I'm not going to throw the exact same words back in his face. I am going to say that since were adhering strictly to the law now, I have to cover my butt if I 'm going to make sure if he knows about all of this. I will make sure the county knows about these problems before anything anything happens. No one will be able to accuse me of withholding information that I know is important. I already told his grandson about some of this. I have to tell the rest of it so there won't be any questions about what I do/don't know or did/didn't make them aware of.

How did court go? Did you get time to move? Good for you writing the electrical problems down for them.

Best,
--glenn

''Good things happen to good people'' it's not my experience, quite the opposite... more like ''No good deed goes unpunished''
I'm happy for you, well done

Last edited:
Well, you have done the right thing - likely more than they deserve, do hold your head high. :)
I have a conscience, ethics and morals.

If not for other things, I wouldn't bother telling them.
  • I'm covering my own butt. No one can accuse me of withholding critical public health hazards and safety information
  • If people aren't aware of some things in and around this house, someone could be seriously injured
  • Someone could get sick with easily get bacterial and/or parasitic infections if anyone gets injured with open wounds
  • Someone could end up with parasitic infections if they walk outside barefoot.
  • There are public health hazards on the property due to problems in and around this house.
  • Waste material runs off into the highway in front of my house.
  • Waste leaches into the soil.
  • The county draws water from the aquifer under this property.
  • There are streams on this property.
  • If they do actually rent out this or any of the other house out here, they could potentially be looking at lawsuits brought by individuals. If an individual brings a lawsuit, the county will be close behind with their own lawsuit.
  • If they keep renting out as sole proprietors and if there is an accident, their mother would be personally responsible for injuries, losses, hospital bills, environmental cleanup, etc. In this country, businesses must be incorporated to shield owners from liability.
  • My old landlords widow shouldn't be put through more stress. She just lost her husband of 70 years.
  • It's the least I can do for Klevon. I would have been on the streets long, long ago if not for him.
That said, I have to admit I wouldn't be bothered much if something were to happen to my new landlord, his sister or his grandson I'm unfortunate to live next to.

I've been harassed and demeaned by all of them.

People like them tend to assume I'm ignorant and don't have the ability to understand anything, like the law. A lot of people have done things right in front of my face thinking I had no idea what they were doing or that they were doing anything wrong.

When those things were serious, my conscience would allow me to say nothing. They paid a price for belittling me, blowing me off and in general thinking they are better than I am.

The people I'm dealing with now have all implied those things. They completely unaware that I had to learn about these things back in my college days. I worked on more than one bachelors. Ecology and city planning were among of the classes I had to take.

The judge didn't.

Members online

Latest posts