Hardware suggestions for clustering on a shoestring budget?

Jayv2251

Reaction score
Credits
I'm attempting to build a small cryptocurrency mining Beowulf cluster on a shoestring budget. The server is my 10yr old Toshiba laptop. Nodes will be android phones running Ubuntu. Most of my questions will be regarding the wireless aspect of this cluster. Ideally, I know it would be best for the server and nodes all to be hardwired, but that's just not feasible in my situation. What brand, (make and model) wireless router would you recommend?

Edit: I remembered last night why I mothballed my laptop. The original wireless nic inside it was just a single band b/g/n nic. I replaced it with an IBM AC-7260 Dual-Band half-height Mini-PCI express card. It was an improvement at the time over the stock wireless nic, but still has a lot of issues connecting and then staying connected.

In a perfect world, I'd be building a dedicated box with two ethernet cards eth0 connected to the outside world and eth1 connected to clusters subnet router. Obviously, I can still connect eth0 to my home's network router like all the other devices are. It's how to connect the laptop server to the subnet I'm questioning. At one point I had given up with the wireless altogether and bought an ethernet to USB adapter.

Although not as schooled as much as the original developers of a Beowulf cluster at NASA in the early 90's I am dealing with 10-year-old equipment, trying to tweak every bit of performance out of it all. Would you use the Ethernet to USB adapter or find a new half-height mini-pci express card?

Last edited:

Members online