Headache #2 Showing my Dorkness?

Baddc053

Reaction score
Credits
Okay, My systems are running great, so great my sister wants to try Linux and get rid of Windows. So I tried, but am having the following issue

I have the USB in, the installation is going along fine, Except now when I get to the prompt to install, I get asked if I want to wipe the entire disk (Which I don't want to do) and install Linux or something else? What would the something else entail to install Linux side by side with her Windows, Dual Boot.

All previous installations I've done queried me if I want to wipe the disk or install it side by side (Dual Boot) with Windows.

What do I do? It's the same USB and I just don't understand. Her computer is a Dell, but a PC, not a laptop.

There's plenty of room on her hard drive...2TB, And she don't do much besides FaceBook & surf..so she's not a high end user.
How/what do I do to simply dual boot both OS's?

Thank You

Last edited by a moderator:

You probably need to shrink the Windows partition, to give somewhere to install to.

But I haven't done it in a long time, so wait for someone with recent knowledge to come along to advise.

I've done often, within the past 2 days...but I've always been given the option for side by side or wipe the drive...Is it me? or her computer?

Something [depending on the distribution] else normally gives you the choice of manually partitioning the hard-drive or install alongside

Something [depending on the distribution] else normally gives you the choice of manually partitioning the hard-drive or install alongside
Yes, but The Distro..the most recent mint is on the USB for a live install. I used it on the laptop, it took right off. This gives totally different prompting, again..Same USB install disk. She's been watching me with Linux and is very impressed, wanted it on hers...but can't get past that prompt. I don't want to goober up sisters computer.

Thank You. I can't understand though how it would run normally on Monday...Very Smooth install, then using the exact same USB on Wednesday...it's changed.

Originally I figured maybe it was her desktop PC, so I tried installing Linux Mate (Sister uses very little as in programs) but that did the exact same. Possibly an issue with her Dell PC? I went into BIOS to change boot sequense. Even tried loading from a DVD instead of the USB..same issue.

I'll check..it's decently new, not more than 2 or 3 years old. She's pretty computer illiterate, any time it don't run correctly she replaces it and brings the older one to Goodwill, she keeps them well supplied, rather than ask for help. She once thought that a laptop was the answer, she used it 3 times and gave it away.
Does dumber than a box of hair have any meaning?

not more than 2 or 3 years old.
That's OK then it will be UEFI, I had a sudden thought it may have been old hence legacy bios

Thank You. I can't understand though how it would run normally on Monday...Very Smooth install, then using the exact same USB on Wednesday...it's changed.

Originally I figured maybe it was her desktop PC, so I tried installing Linux Mate (Sister uses very little as in programs) but that did the exact same. Possibly an issue with her Dell PC? I went into BIOS to change boot sequense. Even tried loading from a DVD instead of the USB..same issue.
If your sister's Dell desktop only has one drive with Windows installed you will have to shrink the Windows partition to make room for the Linux installation.
Go into 'Disk Management' and shrink the Windows partition about 1/2 the size of the hard drive.

Shrink a basic volume by using Disk Management​

Before you perform the Linux installation go into the BIOS and disable the secure boot.

Last edited:
If your sister's Dell desktop only has one drive with Windows installed you will have to shrink the Windows partition to make room for the Linux installation.
Go into 'Disk Management' and shrink the Windows partition about 1/2 the size of the hard drive.

Shrink a basic volume by using Disk Management​

Before you perform the Linux installation go into the BIOS and disable the secure boot.
I'll give it a shot, it won't kill her windows install will it? She don't want to remove windows until she is completely comfortable with Linux..then we'll remove windows totally.

I'll give it a shot, it won't kill her windows install will it? She don't want to remove windows until she is completely comfortable with Linux..then we'll remove windows totally.
Why not installing to a USB stick and teach her how to boot from that? That way she can fiddle around with it and get a feel of the OS without 1) damaging her Windooz and 2) saving you the hassle of figuring out the shrinking partition thing?

Just an idea. :)

Do I create a partition labeled UEFI?
That's what confuses me. And Thanks.

Why not installing to a USB stick and teach her how to boot from that? That way she can fiddle around with it and get a feel of the OS without 1) damaging her Windooz and 2) saving you the hassle of figuring out the shrinking partition thing?

Just an idea. :)
Heck it's easier struggling with shrinking the Widows partition. She had a tech from our ISP on the phone the other day after she got the new modem,She was huffing & puffing & grunting to the point the tech told her to put somebody else on, or he could no longer help her...I drew the short straw on that, but it was a cakewalk compared to dealing with her.

Heck it's easier struggling with shrinking the Widows partition. She had a tech from our ISP on the phone the other day after she got the new modem,She was huffing & puffing & grunting to the point the tech told her to put somebody else on, or he could no longer help her...I drew the short straw on that, but it was a cakewalk compared to dealing with her.
No it's not.

But I appreciate the effort you are putting in. And learning something along the way. Good show :)
:D

there was a similar post on monday also involving mint: https://linux.org/threads/strange-one-today-any-ideas-why.46253/#post-201586

i'll ping @xlbooyahlx to see if they found a fix for their situation in case it might help with yours.

my thought in that post was to see if windows is installed in uefi mode and if the mint usb is booting in uefi mode: https://itsfoss.com/check-uefi-or-bios/
One of my client's computers was a matter of having Windoze disk encrytion turned on (On windows pro it's call bit defender, on all other releases such as home just search the term encryption in the search from start), and turn it off. If she's got encryption turned on, that may very well be the problem, although most people don't even know that most OEMs turn it on by default.
Sorry I was so late getting here, as I missed this notification altogether.

It's my sister, Gotta help, even if she don't appreciate it. I'd wallow with the hogs before letting someone continue with Windows. Besides...I do enjoy learning new things. Especially when it deals with computers. Wait until I figure this one out. Then I want to learn how I can access my home system/hard drives remotely. There is nothing more boring than sitting in the dialysis chair for 4 hours watching their standard TV.

One of my client's computers was a matter of having Windoze disk encrytion turned on (On windows pro it's call bit defender, on all other releases such as home just search the term encryption in the search from start), and turn it off. If she's got encryption turned on, that may very well be the problem, although most people don't even know that most OEMs turn it on by default.
Sorry I was so late getting here, as I missed this notification altogether.
But do

i actually access anything Windows when I alter BIOS to boot into or from the USB? I should just be accessing Dells stuff? Or am I wrong?

It's my sister, Gotta help, even if she don't appreciate it. I'd wallow with the hogs before letting someone continue with Windows. Besides...I do enjoy learning new things. Especially when it deals with computers. Wait until I figure this one out. Then I want to learn how I can access my home system/hard drives remotely. There is nothing more boring than sitting in the dialysis chair for 4 hours watching their standard TV.
I get that. Well, you are at the right place @ linux.org to het this thing resolved. Many skillful and wiling helpful hands around here. :)

Members online