Hello, Hello, hello! Looking to give this a go. Firstly, 15''PowerBookG4.

MOE-LARRY&CURLY

Reaction score
Credits
It's running 10.3 Panther, Sorta, no internet available. Looking to get a cd/dvd that I can create on my not much newer mid2011 iMac and the pop it in the G4. Hopefully Mr. Fusion will follow suit! LOL. Thanks in advance. If this won't work or I can not get the support I need and been trying for like a year I will have to just give up on computers. ( I'm Frustrated, sorry)

Mac's are not the easiest to install Linux on , and power mac's more so, the following is worth reading

OK, I GET YA. I WILL LOOK AT THAT INFO, BUT I SEEN SO MUCH AND IT'S LIKE I HAVE ALMOST EVERYTHING, BUT THEN THERE'S ALWAY'S SOME ISSUE. LIFE RIGHT?! HOPEFULLY THIS HELPS. G4:

Attachments

• IMG_0173 1.JPG
    IMG_0173 1.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0166 1.JPG
    IMG_0166 1.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0179.JPG
    IMG_0179.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0172 1.JPG
    IMG_0172 1.JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0170.JPG
    IMG_0170.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0168 1.JPG
    IMG_0168 1.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0176.JPG
    IMG_0176.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 117
Hell @MOE-LARRY&CURLY,
Welcome to the Linux.org forum, enjoy the journey!
I'm sure you will get the help you need. :)

Welcome aboard. :)

There's bound to have been someone who's done it before, but I'm not an 'Apple' person, so I'm afraid I can't help with your installation, but you'll succeed with some help from those that have. ;)

Welcome to the forums.

You should consider changing your avatar because a lot of women and children visit this site. There are other people do not want to see certain images, each one having a walk of life different from yours.

Macintosh G4? Wow that's with Motorola "PowerPC" processor, isn't it? This is like the other thread with the guy having 128MB RAM, almost. Should be able to use a distro that supports 32-bit in line with Intel "i486" or "i586". For example, not one such as Debian which is supporting the final line of 32-bit processors. By the time those processors came into fashion Apple Corporation completely left out Motorola.

EDIT: made a clarification according to time.

You would have better luck on the iMac, but still limited largely to 32-bit operating systems and the earliest which were 64-bit only, which might be replete with bugs running it on a Macintosh.

Welcome to the Forum.
m0135.gif

You should consider changing your avatar because a lot of women and children visit this site. There are other people do not want to see certain images, each one having a walk of life different from yours.

Really...I don't think it's up to you to tell people what Avatar they should use. On another Forum a few years ago 5 people complained about my Avatar even thought it was within the rules...the 5 were warned by Mods and my Avatar remained but I'm not on that Forum now mostly because of this.
m09004.gif

Welcome to the forums.

Macintosh G4? Wow that's with Motorola "PowerPC" processor, isn't it? This is like the other thread with the guy having 128MB RAM, almost. Should be able to use a distro that supports 32-bit in line with Intel "i486" or "i586". For example, not one such as Debian which is supporting the final line of 32-bit processors. By the time those processors came into fashion Apple Corporation completely left out Motorola.

EDIT: made a clarification according to time.

You would have better luck on the iMac, but still limited largely to 32-bit operating systems and the earliest which were 64-bit only, which might be replete with bugs running it on a Macintosh.
Heck of a welcome! Firstly, it's Halloween time. Secondly One of my rasons to move to Linux from Mac is for the privacy and the abilties that I may have to use a computer w/o anybody being up in my biz. I don't do anything that breaks laws, I'm a loner Dad with no friends in a hellhole of a desert. Besides, lots of ppl are wearing their masks, this is mine, and it has a breathing hole for a cigarette or some fresh air or maybe so those like yourself can Hear me. I also posted in a very recent reply actual pics of the system I am working with. So the question marks you add make zero sense, as much of your reply did. But, I am a nice person and say thank you and though we may not agree, it doesnt raise and cause for concern. CHEERS

WELL. THIS WORKED OUT GREAT. I GUESS I AM STUCK WITH APPLE. I'VE SEEN SO MANY OTHERS ONLINE DOING AND USING WHAT I WANT TO BUT WHEN I ASK AROUND THE ANSWER IS NO, I CAN'T. I JUST WANTED SOME ADDED SUPPORT FOR AN OS, MORE SECURITY OPTIONS AND TO BE OFF THE APPLE. WELL, SCREW IT, I'M GONNA SMASH THESE TWO COMPUTERS, GET A FLIP PHONE, AND USE THE COMPUTER AT THE LIBRARY.

The problem is that if one of those distros is installed successfully, it will have to be used as it is. Even with Internet access. Because it will not be possible to update, or even to get Internet security updates. It's the messy business of GPG keys and "authentic" repositories.

Take it from me. Somebody recommended MX Linux 17 to me. I installed it, pleasantly surprised everything jumped at me, not like the "Bookworm" slowpokes I have to put up with now. Later I try to upgrade that MX Linux installation to "Bullseye" status but was denied by "dpkg". I don't know how to run that program so it accepts my intention of upgrading to a Debian version that is still supported, even for a while longer. :/

Not trying to joke around, and what I'm about to present is not Linux. It might not even produce a desktop environment. But it looks like this could work on a Macintosh G4:

(for example, partial download link: )
...download.freebsd.org/ftp/releases/ISO-IMAGES/14.0/FreeBSD-14.0-RC2-powerpc-disc1.iso.xz

Otherwise that computer is pretty much useless except for the OS that it originally came with. OTOH the later iMac could run many 32-bit Linux distros.