Help please

Ajcasey4201

Reaction score
Credits
Hello I have a ASUS r565ea with Linux mint installed and windows deleted bios has admin password that I forgot and Linux is not operating right I can’t do anything with it. Is there a way I can get windows installed back on or do a re install of Linux what options do I have

Hi & Welcome to Linux.org.

We need more information in order to assist you.

Are you saying that Linux Mint and Windows is in a dual boot on your Asus?
What's the make and model number of your Asus?
And what version of Windows is installed on your pc?

What do you mean by 'Linux is not operating right'?
Won't boot? Black screen?

Give Details please:-

With dual booting Linux and Windows, the best practice is to install Windows first. Then shrink your Windows partitions to create room for your Linux installation.

Welcome to the forums, enquiry not very explanatory so... polish crystal ball and stare into the mist..
Forgotten your Asus BIOS password... see this article https://techyoulike.com/how-do-i-reset-my-asus-laptop-bios/
Can you reinstall windows Yes just download the correct version for your licence.
Your machine is fairly new, what distribution of Linux were you trying to install... [I cant see this through the mist]
Yes you can re-install Linux but choose a suitable build.

Last edited:
Hello @Ajcasey4201
Welcome to Linux.org Forum. As has already been said we need more info.

Computer is a ASUS vivobook x515eau-R565ea computer had windows 10 on it I installed Linux mint on a usb I dual booted it and wrote Linux mint over windows like an idiot so now have no windows OS.linux mint was running fine then all the sudden I have no internet but yet I’m connected to the internet. I’ve read multiple forums on this but no success. terminal will let me ping a ip adress but will not let me ping Google.com or anything else from what I’ve read seems to be a DNS issue but I’ve had no success fixing it. I am very new to all of this.
If at all possible I would like to be able to re install windows but don’t know if I can without bios password. In that case would definitely highly appreciate if someone could help point me in the right direction. Thanks

Go to a terminal in Mint and type this command and post the output back here.
Code:
inxi -Nn

Even if you don't have the BIOS password all motherboards have a one time boot key you can press where you can select of which device you one to boot from, then if you have a usb device with Linux you can fix your your system and if you have a usb device with Windows on it you can reinstall Windows.

Even if you don't have the BIOS password all motherboards have a one time boot key you can press where you can select of which device you one to boot from, then if you have a usb device with Linux you can fix your your system and if you have a usb device with Windows on it you can reinstall Windows.
How do I go about finding that key I’m not finding anything on that. Thanks for the info

Code:
inxi -Nn

Code:
inxi -Nn
Just seeing your response I’m at work now I’ll put that in and post as soon as I get off work today appreciate you for taking the time to help

to re install windows
1] go to the Microsoft Windows download site
2] download the correct build for your machine [W10 home/Win 10 professional/Win 11 or whatever you last had]
3]write the download as an iso to your pen-drive
4] insert pen-drive and switch on the machine [if it dosn't boot from the pen-drive switch of then on again giggling the one time boot key [ on an Asus it will be either F8 or ESC to select USB from the menu]
5 install Windows YOU DO NOT NEED A WINDOWS KEY if you had W10/W11 on the machine before, the Microsoft server will recognise it

AND IF YOUR STILL HAVING PROBLEMS with the BIOS lock, see my first post and follow the link to the instructions on how to re-set it

Last edited:
How do I go about finding that key I’m not finding anything on that. Thanks for the info
It's one of the f-keys, most of the time it's f9 or f10 but just try all of them.

It's one of the f-keys, most of the time it's f9 or f10 but just try all of them.
He doesn't seem to be either reading or understanding replies, he said he has an ASUS, I have given him the link to clear his bios password
and short boot menu is usually either F8 or Esc on an Asus [my post above]

That's why I said one of the f-keys and to just try them all, that's what I do when I don't which one it is. I do believe you if you say it's f8 for Asus.

He doesn't seem to be either reading or understanding replies, he said he has an ASUS, I have given him the link to clear his bios password
I just now seen your response brother f8 does nothing esc prompts me for UEFI password

At boot up
it's called "Boot menu"
Boot menu let's you choose to boot from USB.

esc prompts me for UEFI password
Here are steps to reset and remove UEFI password

How to reset or remove Asus laptop bios password

Boot while while pressing/holding F2 to get into the BIOS / UEFI
When the enter password window appears then press Alt + r
Enter rescue password window will appear, with YYYY-MM-DD
Enter the date into form field below and press Send Request button

Staff online

Members online