Help with Balena Etcher

USB writing tool on Mint only works on Ubuntu based OS
It works for me in both Ubuntu and debian based distributions [but I dont remember trying it on arch will have to give it a try at some point]

ADDENDUM..
so I downloaded manjaro -64-plasma used the mint usb burner to burn it to a quality usb [which i keep for using on ISO's] whacked it in the dell lappy switch on and it worked fine..

Last edited:

install linux on mac book"

update...
this is now coming to you from my HP desktop using Manjaro-64-plasma burnt with the Mint usb writer

Bwiz

One thing to remember is the the USB writing tool on Mint only works on Ubuntu based OS, just like the USB Creator for Ubuntu only works on Ubuntu based OS does not work on Arch based OS ISOs

For Lubuntu it works for Debian, so presumably would work for all Debian based OS. Just to be pernickety.

I think the correct answer is Ubuntu/Debian compliant ISOs
as I said the Mint usb writer works for Manjaro as I also seem to remeber using it for endeavor [I have it on one of my test drives]

as I said the Mint usb writer works for Manjaro as I also seem to remeber using it for endeavor [I have it on one of my test drives]
Ubuntu Startup Disk Creator (usb-creator-gtk) sees an Arch based OS when selected manually but does not do anything with it, it won't even open it - I thought at one point the Mint USB writer was based on the Ubuntu one - maybe I am wrong about that, would not be the first time I have been wrong (LOL) - the Ubuntu Startup Disk Creator has to be Ubuntu/Debian compliant ISO to work

Playing with a fresh Ubuntu for another project... confirming you are both right.

Ubuntu Startup Disk Creator sees a Manjaro ISO file, but it won't select it to burn a USB.

I'm writing this post from Manjaro XFCE live USB burned with Linux Mint Debian Edition (Debbie) Image Writer app. It took quite a long time to burn the USB, but all seems fine.

I currently have problems with Etcher similar to the OP on this LMDE... it doesn't seem to run. I found a bug report that described loading Etcher from a terminal with a --no-sandbox option, and that works for me.

Cheers :)

Last edited:
I have to say that this is the most helpful group I've ever experienced! My project is to install Linux on this MacBook Pro for a friend. I've been reading lots of reviews along with the links that you all have thoughtfully provided. I originally decided to use Manjaro because of recommendations from another group. Now I'm wondering if I should go with something simpler since my friend is more accustomed to a Mac experience and has no Linux background. I use Mint and love it so far. I'd appreciate recommendations for a DE that would provide a more Mac-like desktop. My friend lives in another state so I won't be around to provide help after I give the laptop back. Many thanks!

Now I'm wondering if I should go with something simpler
If you are likely to get calls for help, then give your friend a distribution you are familiar with,
Making linux look like mac may sound a good idea but it will still be linux with the same learning curve, to me its a bit like putting Rolls Royce body panels on a ford.. it may look like a RR. but will still handle and drive like a ford

Brian

PS.. oh and make sure they sign up with linux.org

What makes a desktop look "Mac like?" Isn't it just having the panel (taskbar) on top instead of bottom, and having the "dock" at the bottom? Almost all Linux distros will do this for you (your friend). Besides "Which distro?"... you can also ask yourself, "Which Desktop Environment (DE)?"

The MATE Desktop Environment uses a panel at the top by default. You can get MATE on Ubuntu, Linux Mint, and others, but MATE is not required either. Other DE's will let you move the panel from the bottom to the top, or create a new panel at the top. Heck, you can have 4 panels: top, bottom, left, and right.

But wait, there's more! ;) Besides many Desktop Environments to choose from, there are also many dock apps for Linux... Cairo Dock, Docky, and Plank are just a few. Some may depend on which distro/DE that you choose. This list is getting a little old, but it gives you more ideas about docks.

I've never used a Mac, so maybe the recommendation for Manjaro is a valid one with reasons to support it. But choices and options are what makes Linux so great, in my opinion. It just takes some time to try some out and see what is most appealing... and equally important, what works best on your (your friend's) hardware.

My friend lives in another state so I won't be around to provide help after I give the laptop back.
Install TeamViewer on it before you return it, and install on your own system. TeamViewer is a remote desktop program so that you can connect to their computer and run it remotely.... with their permission. Emphasize that they should not ever let anyone else connect to their computer except you, or someone they trust even more than you. It works great and I use it with out-of-state family.... but be aware of the potential risks.

I have to say that this is the most helpful group I've ever experienced! My project is to install Linux on this MacBook Pro for a friend. I've been reading lots of reviews along with the links that you all have thoughtfully provided. I originally decided to use Manjaro because of recommendations from another group. Now I'm wondering if I should go with something simpler since my friend is more accustomed to a Mac experience and has no Linux background. I use Mint and love it so far. I'd appreciate recommendations for a DE that would provide a more Mac-like desktop. My friend lives in another state so I won't be around to provide help after I give the laptop back. Many thanks!
Install TeamViewer on it before you return it, and install on your own system. TeamViewer is a remote desktop program so that you can connect to their computer and run it remotely.... with their permission. Emphasize that they should not ever let anyone else connect to their computer except you, or someone they trust even more than you. It works great and I use it with out-of-state family.... but be aware of the potential risks.
Oh, thanks for the reminder. I've used Team Viewer in the past.

I went with Manjaro and got the following message: "This computer does not satisfy some of the recommended requirements for installing Manjaro....blah blah. Installation can continue, but some features might be disabled." I'm on now to reading more of your comments that I missed earlier.

I decided to go with Mint Cinnamon. The installation was as smooth as silk! Thank you all for your wonderful support and interest!

Last edited:
If you are likely to get calls for help, then give your friend a distribution you are familiar with,
Making linux look like mac may sound a good idea but it will still be linux with the same learning curve, to me its a bit like putting Rolls Royce body panels on a ford.. it may look like a RR. but will still handle and drive like a ford

Linux shouldn't be handling and driving like a Ford. It should handle like a BMW. I am not sure what you have done with your setup, but just start a new thread and we will all try to help you out. ;-)

I was going to say the analogy should be the other way around, but I've never been in a rolls royce so I suppose they are maybe just really expensive and double the price they should be.

Linux shouldn't be handling and driving like a Ford. It should handle like a BMW. I am not sure what you have done with your setup, but just start a new thread and we will all try to help you out. ;-)

I was going to say the analogy should be the other way around, but I've never been in a rolls royce so I suppose they are maybe just really expensive and double the price they should be.
Thanks so much for checking. I opted for Mint Cinnamon and it was smooth sailing!

Staff online

Members online