Help with novice

This is non free. How much is it and how is it payed for?

In the Linux world, "non free" means "not open source" - and not that it costs money. (Well, it can also mean that, but in this case it means that it contains closed source software - like binary blobs for drivers.)

And, unless you need to, don't worry about making multiple partitions. Those days are pretty much long gone and folks just use a single partition these days (usually, there are some who still manually partition for things like ~/).

Finally, it's paid. Payed is a word, but really only applies when you're talking about rope.

"I paid my bill."
"I payed out the safety rope for Bill while he learned to abseil.)

Okay. Thanks for that. It has installed and I can get onto the websites. I have, on another partition
NVIDEA-Linux-X86_64-340.17.run

I have double clicked on this but it does not do anything. Is there another way to install the video driver? I also need to select a resolution.

As for multipull partitions, I have had my fingers burned by Bll Gates going A over T too often. I have a D: partition for all my files.

Last edited:
You probably need to make the .run executable.

In the terminal:

sudo chmod +x /path/to/filename.run

(It's easier if it's in like Downloads and you just open that directory in the terminal, set the executable bit, and then run the .run.)

Hi. Thanks for your help. I should have explained the PC configuration better. I have a new laptop with no DVD as I find them fiddley. My old (2012) PC is a desktop with the side off. I used to build and repair them. I had to use the laptop to download the ISO and copy it to a USB stick. Running windows 7 on the old PC I burned it to disk. I swapped the SSD for a blank to install. It is 500g with 2 partitions. C: 292G and D: 172G.
how to make the .run executable?

I now have Debian cinnamon on the C: drive and NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.17.run on the D: drive with the absolute root D:\ NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.17.run I think Linux prefers forward slashes.

I have tried the CMD on the bottom but this seems to be a text editor.
I typed in sudo chmod + D:\ NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.17.run
Hit enter just gives me another line desmond@Private:~$

how do I make .run executable? I would have thought like microsoft a file extension for such a case. But nearly their now thanks to you guys.

the Nvida drivers should be installed to the same partition as linux installation,
my suggestion [if you can now get online with the desktop] is boot up your linux , then download the drivers again in Linux, then install from there

Hi I have tried this on the Linux PC. When downloaded it I get this:
desmond-otoole.co.uk/1_Downloads.jpg
Double click on it, i get:
desmond-otoole.co.uk/2_NVIDA_File_1.jpg There is a progrees bar turning blue. It has been running for 20 minutes now and hardly moved.

If I click on open, I get:
desmond-otoole.co.uk/3_NVIDA_File_2.jpg

After nearly one hour I get
desmond-otoole.co.uk/4_FileProgress.jpg

It looks like this is actualy been run over the internet on a very slow server.

Hi I have tried this on the Linux PC. When downloaded it I get this:
desmond-otoole.co.uk/1_Downloads.jpg
Double click on it, i get:
desmond-otoole.co.uk/2_NVIDA_File_1.jpg There is a progrees bar turning blue. It has been running for 20 minutes now and hardly moved.

If I click on open, I get:
desmond-otoole.co.uk/3_NVIDA_File_2.jpg
If it ends in ".jpg" it is probably just an image file (a screenshot). Nothing will move because they are like photos. The links you posted do not make sense to me.

Sorry. Don't know why I said JPG. I have been working all day with them. the file name is
desmond-otoole.co.uk/2_NVIDA_File_1.run

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts