Hi all from New Zealand

G'day Caluser, Welcome to Linux.org

NZ is not far from me....just across the ditch

G'day, I am the 3rd Aussie to welcome you, person from the land of the long white cloud :)

2005, eh? That beats me (2010 first started) and 2014 exclusively as daily driver.

We have some folks here going back to the 90s.

Maybe we'll see you doing what Anzacs do best - helping and supporting others.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Welcome aboard.

What's your current "some variety"?

We almost crossed beams, Mike - dangerous, so say Ghostbusters.

Yet another Antipodean!!
GuksxMydCVPtOBFhKrhX.gif
Welcome to the forums, you will be at home with this lot
byogaKyrMXiEvbG0tMxz.gif

[from the top end of the earth]

G'day, I am the 3rd Aussie to welcome you, person from the land of the long white cloud :)

2005, eh? That beats me (2010 first started) and 2014 exclusively as daily driver.

We have some folks here going back to the 90s.

Maybe we'll see you doing what Anzacs do best - helping and supporting others.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
Yip! Luv helping folk on computer related stuff. Got in to it in the late 1980-early 1990s. Never had even heard of Linux until the late 1990s. Is it the "Year of the Linux Desktop "yet? ;)

Oh, no, don't start a Pavlova argument with a Kiwi

A bit more about me..

I was a bit late on to the computer scene in my late 20s-early 30s in the late 80s-early 90s and posted to Defense Headquarters in Wellington New Zealand as a Sargent. Avionics guys had a great deal going at a local computer shop. Got a brand new clone 286/16, 1meg, 256kVGA OAK video card-14" vga monitor, 40meg hdd, 5,25" and 3.5" fdds, 101 key enhanced keyboard, game joy stick with two button mouse. Also came with 9-pin dot-matrix B&W printer. All fitted in a mini AT desktop case. No O/S so installed DR Dos 6.0 and GeoWorks Pro 1,2 on it.

The 286/16 had various upgrades over time, around 5-6 years total iirc with pre-used components, to a 486DX33 then a Pentium 133 in the end. Learnt a lot on it. Now 40 years on am still interested in that era kit and have gathered a nice selection of systems from that time period from various manufacturers,

I was especially impressed with the ACORN RiscPCs when they were released. Unfortunately they were a bit pricey for me to justify at the time but have a few examples to muck around with know I’m reaching retirement.
:wink:

Good memories learning new things back then.

Well haven't really stopped....
IMG_20230920_133300_hdr.jpg
IMG_20230920_133218_hdr.jpg

Welcome to the Forum.
1720053852725.gif

Members online