Solved Hibernate not working

Solved issue

CaffeineAddict

Reaction score
Credits
As soon as I hibernates my system, it wakes up but there is no signal to monitor and need to press restart button on my case to reload.

I suspect this might be due to swap partition being too small?
My swap is 1GB in size.

What else could be the cause? if it's swap how do I increase it? there is no free disk space available to expand it (I'm using encrypted drive):

Bash:
lsblk

NAME                 MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE  MOUNTPOINTS
sda                    8:0    0 931,5G  0 disk
└─sda1                 8:1    0 931,5G  0 part
sdb                    8:16   0 465,8G  0 disk
├─sdb1                 8:17   0   512M  0 part  /boot/efi
├─sdb2                 8:18   0   488M  0 part  /boot
└─sdb3                 8:19   0 464,8G  0 part
  └─sdb3_crypt       254:0    0 464,8G  0 crypt
    ├─msi--vg-root   254:1    0 463,8G  0 lvm   /
    └─msi--vg-swap_1 254:2    0   976M  0 lvm   [SWAP]
sr0                   11:0    1  1024M  0 rom

In my experience Hibernate not working on the most Linux machines so its the first i disable on install.
Very likely because nobody including myself manages swap partition size during installation.
I found reddit thread below, people are saying for hibernate to work you might need up to x2 RAM size of swap partition:
LINK

I would like to increase my swap partition but since this is encrypted disk setup I have no clue how.

EDIT:
I found some procedures requiring to do it from live USB to shrink root partition, I think I'll just reinstall system...

Last edited:
Over the years I've consistently seen that hibernate and suspend has been problematic and fails to send an image to the monitor.

I'm not sure if resizing your swap partition will solve the issue but you can try it.
I don't use swap and that stopped a lot of start job's running and booting issues.

Since your system is encrypted you may have to run G-Parted Live from a USB or a CD/DVD.
The first link shows how using g-parted or a Live USB of Arch is a way to resize your partitions.

Resize an Encrypted Partition without Breaking your Linux System

Here's a link on Resizing Encrypted Partitions on Linux

Hibernation also requires you to have the "resume" kernel parameter in your bootloader settings, if you don't have that set I would try that.
And if you don't have space to create a new partition for more swap or to extend it, you can just create a swap file on your current filesystem and use that as swap.
Good articles with lot's of details!

All hints are appreciated!

I've given up from reinstalling system and give it a go to resize swap to 24G (RAM x 1.5) and that made hiberenate work!

I've also written down all the steps I've done on my gist for future reference.

All hints are appreciated!

I've given up from reinstalling system and give it a go to resize swap to 24G (RAM x 1.5) and that made hiberenate work!

I've also written down all the steps I've done on my gist for future reference.
Congrats!
Have a good weekend.

Staff online

Latest posts