Homelab Aggravations

Reaction score
Credits
I'd like to do you a favor before I get started here and simply disclaim that this post is mostly about getting some things off my chest and venting out some frustrations while simultaneously exposing myself to those more experienced than I with subtle hopes some kinds soul may have mercy on me and lend some words of understanding. Moving on.

So 3 years ago or so I jumped ship from Windows entirely. I've got a whole post about it somewhere in my post history (I don't come around often thanks to my introverted nature). I now exclusively use Arch Linux as my Host OS on all my systems excluding the PowerEdge R730 that I recently purchased as my first addition to my growing interest in Homelab experimenting. x2 Xeon processors, 128GB of RAM and 32TB of storage; I figure what better way to DIY learn than to buy the same hardware one might expect to see in the field and experience it that way.

Initially I had troubles getting ESXi to install onto the server so I opted for what I know best and simply installed Arch Linux onto the server and then set up VMware Workstation to auto-start on launch and went from there. That was all fine and dandy until a project came up and I needed more storage space than Workstation would allow. So back to the drawing board I went with ESXi only to find out it was simply a bad iso image that had somehow gotten corrupted.

Yay, I now have ESXi 7.0 installed. Played with it a few days before I decided it was time to buy me a license. Cool, now I have a fully fledged ESXi server in my little basement room. But what's this? Ever since installing ESXi, upon full boot the fans are now cranking at 100% at all times; my wife can hear it on the 2nd story from the bedroom 0_o. I have no idea what's causing it, as when the server was running Arch Linux it purred like a newborn kitten fresh fed on milk; it was so quiet I could lay my infant next to it and he'd probably fall asleep. But now? Oh god, I swear the fans have moved the East wall of my foundation a good 3 inches! I have yet to figure out how to adjust fan speeds; as ESXi doesn't seem to have any built in controllers for this; and I can't seem to find anything relevant in the PowerEdge BIOS.

I digress. Yay! New server, how exciting. I successfully set up a Jellyfin server, and a Next Cloud server (though my next cloud performance has been sub par acceptable imho so I've paused working on that as I ran into a mental roadblock about it). And now I'm trying to get a Wazuh server up and running so that I can monitor my network and learn some blue team skills in hopes that I can learn enough to make it a relevant mark on my resume.

Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get Wazah up and running. I'm following the step by step instructions on their website to a T and for some reason I just keep running into issues. I'm trying to install it on a Fedora Linux 39 Server Edtion; which should theoretically mean it's well supported considering RHEL is a suggested OS for installing Wazuh. But nope, I just cant manage to get it working.

By step 2.2 I attempt to install the Wazuh installation assistant to set up the indexer node on the server; everything up unto this point has seemingly gone without a hitch. But upon executing the wazuh-install.sh i'm notified that it doesn't have the appropriate certificates. Never mind the fact that in previous steps it clearly stated that the certificates were generated.

Thanks for reading my Ted Talk. Hope life's treating you well.
-AO

Last edited:

Apologies for the above post. While most of it stands true. I did learn a lot last night.
I discovered iDRAC and how to use it. Then discovered the ipmitool and executed the following

Code:
ipmitool -I lanplus -H 192.168.1.9 -U user -P password  raw 0x30 0x30 0x02 0xff 00x1E

Crysis averted and wife is content!

Now, back to figuring out how to get Wazuh properly configured!.

Members online