How relevant are these materials to RHCSA certification?

Reaction score
Credits

I'm asking this question specifically because I find these concepts very un-inituitive to understand and pretty much useless.

(Pardon for my ignorance). I've been following this blog for learning advanced Linux for RHCSA and the blog is pretty miserable to read. I've completed a basic Linux course by Imran Afzal on udemy worth 36 hrs. So, I'm seeking to learn advanced concepts and I must say I'm not succeeding at it.

When I google for things mentioned in this blog, I find barely 1 or 2 blogs which have just rehashed the same content from this blog. As someone with reading disorder where one needs multiple sources to learn, I am quite frustrated with this. Can you guide me a bit?

I don't see shell embedding as objective in RHCSA exam.

Anything mentioned on the "Exam Objectives" page can be asked on the exam, but to put your mind at ease they don't expect you to be a professional shell programmer if that's what you are asking.

When I did my RHCSA I'm pretty sure I just grabbed one of the study books and passed. I'm not familiar w/ the blog you mentioned, but just do your best, take the test, then maybe take the test again. :) The best study guide is the test itself.

When I did my RHCSA I'm pretty sure I just grabbed one of the study books and passed. I'm not familiar w/ the blog you mentioned, but just do your best, take the test, then maybe take the test again. :) The best study guide is the test itself.
Which was the book, I love reading old books as they're more better than newly written books by new writers. Good ol days. btw congrats for passing in first time.

Reactions: Rob
I'm asking if what i'm studying is relevant for RHCSA.
I already gave you the answer, the clue is in the word simple of the following section of the objectives summary.
Create simple shell scripts
  • Conditionally execute code (use of: if, test, [], etc.)
  • Use Looping constructs (for, etc.) to process file, command line input
  • Process script inputs ($1, $2, etc.)
  • Processing output of shell commands within a script
That is all you need to know when it comes to scripting for RHCSA. It will probably help you to use a studyguide book for RHCSA.

Which was the book, I love reading old books as they're more better than newly written books by new writers. Good ol days. btw congrats for passing in first time.
Well, I was going for the RHCE lol .. got some wrong and ended up with RHCSA.

@f33dm3bits I don't like the way sander van vugt presents information. I'm yet to see a good book with exercises for RHCSA. Maybe ashgar ghori comes close.
What don't you like about the way he presents information? I haven't used any recent books of his last time I looked through a book of his it was presented something like this:
  • Explains how something works
  • Shows examples.
  • Gives you exercises at the end of a section.
  • Gives you a lab at the end of the chapter.

It's mostly personal into the way information is presented that helps you learn, so I'm curious to know how you like information for learning presented to help you learn?

Last edited:
Don't students everywhere complain about being forced to master subjects that they will never use? It is the bane of their existence.

What don't you like about the way he presents information? I haven't used any recent books of his last time I looked through a book of his it was presented something like this:
  • Explains how something works
  • Shows examples.
  • Gives you exercises at the end of a section.
  • Gives you a lab at the end of the chapter.

It's mostly personal into the way information is presented that helps you learn, so I'm curious to know how you like information for learning presented to help you learn?
it's bias i think. I've watched his videos and didn't like it. The book that I downloaded isn't very friendly to read (in terms of quality of pdf not content I mean)....and stuffs like that. Plus since a long time I hate popular books not because they're popular, but because I don't find value in them no matter how hard I try. I'll give this book a try again after your comment. Thanks.

This is from sander's book about I/O redirection.
1686720303950.png

1686720335149.png

Now this is ghori's book about same topic.

1686720428220.png

1686720451580.png

etc

Which material do you think is easy for beginners? The second one stands out for me. That's why I hate sander's books and courses.

The second looks easier to read as it is divided into smaller chunks. Does Sander still have other examples, labs and exercises is his more recent books?

Staff online

Members online