how to add new user account to Zorin 16.2 pro

ron handford

Reaction score
Credits
recently installed Zorin 16.2 pro , i like it a lot but find it daunting , compared to Windows , to add new user names , a few Utube showed menus i couldn't access , and hovering over the power button didn't produce the expected " + " link
any uncomplicated solutions would be appreciated

recently installed Zorin 16.2 pro , i like it a lot but find it daunting , compared to Windows , to add new user names , a few Utube showed menus i couldn't access , and hovering over the power button didn't produce the expected " + " link
any uncomplicated solutions would be appreciated
I am trying out different distros. By coincidence, I have Zorin OS installed now. It is version 16.2, but not "Pro". I am confident that it works the same.

Procedure to Add a New User Account to Zorin OS 16.2
  • From the main menu, open Settings.
  • The Settings window will appear on your screen.
    • You will see a list of different settings categories on the left side of the window.
    • -> That list of settings categories has a scroll bar. There may be additional settings categories that some people miss on the left side of the window, hidden below the bottom of the window. Use the scroll bar to see them.
  • Scroll the categories on the left side, or use the search tool at the top of the window to find and select the Users category on the left side of the Settings window.
  • Click the Unlock button in the upper right corner of the Settings. Enter your administrator account password in the Authentication Required dialog box.
  • With the Users category selected and authentication complete, click the "Add User ..." button in the upper right corner of the window.
  • Enter the desired values for Standard/Administrator account, Full Name, Username, etc.
  • Click the blue "Add" button to add the new user.
Zorin OS offers the command line "adduser" command. If you run "sudo adduser <username>" in the terminal, it creates the account and the account's home directories. The "adduser" command also prompts for additional info like Full Name, etc. The old original "useradd" may not create the user directories for you. Not all distros offer "adduser" or sometimes it may be a link to "useradd".

thanks sphen a lot of good info there but pro must be a lot different on the menu front [as i have noticed looking at other 16.2 OS 's on Utube] ... my eventual solution .. open up the main menu and click on my user icon in the top right hand corner .... up comes the Users category you mentioned ... click the unlock button ... and then exactly as you described .
thankfully a nice and simple outcome
thanks all for your help

thanks sphen a lot of good info there but pro must be a lot different on the menu front [as i have noticed looking at other 16.2 OS 's on Utube] ... my eventual solution .. open up the main menu and click on my user icon in the top right hand corner .... up comes the Users category you mentioned ... click the unlock button ... and then exactly as you described .
thankfully a nice and simple outcome
thanks all for your help
I tried clicking on my username in the upper right corner of the main menu as you suggested. Sure enough, it opened the Settings application with the Users "category" selected. That selection is hidden on mine, because the Users "category" appears below the window bottom as it opens on my screen.

I find it hard to believe that you are seeing something different in the Pro version. I am attaching two screenshots. One shows the Settings window as it appears just after you click your username in the upper right corner of the main menu. Notice how the Users panel is displayed, but the left side did not scroll down to Users. The second image shows the same windows, but with the left side scrolled down. Observe that the Users "category" is selected and where it is in the list of categories on the left side of the panel. Hopefully the images help. (Sorry about hiding personal info. You can barely see the second user account.

Zorin Settings before Scrolling.png Zorin Settings after Scrolling.png

Members online