How To Get Grub Back With My Fresh Slackware Installation

captain-sensible

Holding down F8 gives me the Grub Menu. BTW F8 is only showing me the NVMe drive and the 500 GB WD. Which sounds right because lilo has control over the 1 TB drive that Slackware's on.

MX Linux is first in the list, than Mint than Slackware.
And, it appears that MX Linux has the boot in the grub menu.

I was hoping to get Grub w/o having to hold down F8.

When I have more time later I'll look in the BIOS and see what the boot priority and those options are set to.
well at least you have grub and can still boot up :^)

captain-sensible

if you think about it (in a simplistic way) once system has done post test it hands over to boot loader. Now you removed pks lilo (legacy) and elilo (for uefi systems) but of course data would still be present. It could be 512 bytes or what ever on MBR or on a partition. When i did dual boot it was all on same drive, so probably one thing wrote over or took precidence over another. In your case there are a few more parameters. I guess if the bios boot order boots up sda then ,the lilo/elilo info comes into play. if it boots other drive then i guess what ever boot loader info on that partition will be invoked. perhaps somebody might clarify this ? for us

Had a quick look at the video you used to help install. Actually its very good because he bothers to explain how to use a slackbuild and what to do. There are other tweak he might not have mentioned . If you didn't click on menu something to start at boot, eg cups then you have go into /etc/rc.d eg if cups doesn't have permission to start. If you have cd'd into /etc/rc.d it would be :

# chmod a+x rc.cups

then

# /etc/rc.d/rc.cups start

after that it will starts auto at bootup. What about IP firewall for slackware ? Have you done that , Alien Bob has an easy answer

Last edited:

Alexzee

if you think about it (in a simplistic way) once system has done post test it hands over to boot loader. Now you removed pks lilo (legacy) and elilo (for uefi systems) but of course data would still be present. It could be 512 bytes or what ever on MBR or on a partition. When i did dual boot it was all on same drive, so probably one thing wrote over or took precidence over another. In your case there are a few more parameters. I guess if the bios boot order boots up sda then ,the lilo/elilo info comes into play. if it boots other drive then i guess what ever boot loader info on that partition will be invoked. perhaps somebody might clarify this ? for us

Had a quick look at the video you used to help install. Actually its very good because he bothers to explain how to use a slackbuild and what to do. There are other tweak he might not have mentioned . If you didn't click on menu something to start at boot, eg cups then you have go into /etc/rc.d eg if cups doesn't have permission to start. If you have cd'd into /etc/rc.d it would be :

# chmod a+x rc.cups

then

# /etc/rc.d/rc.cups start

after that it will starts auto at bootup. What about IP firewall for slackware ? Have you done that , Alien Bob has an easy answer
I'm pretty sure that the BIOS is controlling the boot process of my distro's.

No, I haven't done anything with the IP firewall. I don't know how:-

atanere

bash-5.0# fdisk -l
Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 232.91 GiB, 250059350016 bytes, 488397168 sectors
Disk model: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 250GB
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x9ad6e6dd

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/nvme0n1p1 2048 3999743 3997696 1.9G 82 Linux swap
/dev/nvme0n1p2 * 3999744 488396799 484397056 231G 83 Linux

Disk /dev/sda: 931.53 GiB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
Disk model: ST31000524NS
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00046882

/dev/sda1 2048 1048578047 1048576000 500G 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 1048580096 1052774399 4194304 2G 82 Linux swap

Disk /dev/sdb: 465.78 GiB, 500107862016 bytes, 976773168 sectors
Disk model: WDC WD5000AZLX-0
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x3fc0a6bb

/dev/sdb1 * 1 972513279 972513279 463.7G 83 Linux
/dev/sdb2 972513280 976707583 4194304 2G 83 Linux

Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.
I'm a bit confused trying to follow along too. In the post I quoted above, the output from fdisk -l shows the "boot flag" (represented by a * character) for MX Linux at /dev/sdb1, and Linux Mint at /dev/nvme0n1p2.... but Slackware on /dev/sda1 does NOT show a boot flag, yet it still boots.

All 3 discreet hard drives are shown to be set up as "dos" and I would expect in this setup that each distro would have it's own bootloader stored in MBR of each drive... that's 2 copies of GRUB and 1 copy of LILO. I didn't watch the Slackware install video (almost an hour long)... but I suspect that your Slackware installed like a UEFI system using ELILO. UEFI doesn't use MBR, and instead creates a separate partition (/efi) on the hard drive. I'm guessing that /efi is your boot partition on /dev/sda, but it isn't showing up with fdisk.

Mixing UEFI and Legacy multi-boot systems on the same hard drive is asking for trouble, but I think in your case you are okay because each is on it's own separate drive, each with it's own bootloader. I think that using your BIOS Boot Menu (F8) is probably the best way to switch between them.

Alexzee

I'm a bit confused trying to follow along too. In the post I quoted above, the output from fdisk -l shows the "boot flag" (represented by a * character) for MX Linux at /dev/sdb1, and Linux Mint at /dev/nvme0n1p2.... but Slackware on /dev/sda1 does NOT show a boot flag, yet it still boots.

All 3 discreet hard drives are shown to be set up as "dos" and I would expect in this setup that each distro would have it's own bootloader stored in MBR of each drive... that's 2 copies of GRUB and 1 copy of LILO. I didn't watch the Slackware install video (almost an hour long)... but I suspect that your Slackware installed like a UEFI system using ELILO. UEFI doesn't use MBR, and instead creates a separate partition (/efi) on the hard drive. I'm guessing that /efi is your boot partition on /dev/sda, but it isn't showing up with fdisk.

Mixing UEFI and Legacy multi-boot systems on the same hard drive is asking for trouble, but I think in your case you are okay because each is on it's own separate drive, each with it's own bootloader. I think that using your BIOS Boot Menu (F8) is probably the best way to switch between them.
Using the BIOS Boot Menu works if I want to boot into MX Linux or Linux Mint so I'm glad about that.
If I don't want Grub than I just don't hold down F8 and the machine boots right into Slackware.
I'm not sure why the partition isn't showing up as bootable. I made the ext4 partition bootable during the installation.

What's even stranger yet is I removed lilo and Slackware still boots.
In 8 years of running Linux I've never seen this happen.

I think your right the boot partition must be /efi:. It has to be because nothing else would explain how Slackware still boots.

When I have more time I'll read the BIOS manual.

captain-sensible

the good news he has Slackware installed and other stuff i've never heard of, do you think we will have another Slackware convert?

Members online

Latest posts