how to make a linux based os

how do i make a linux based os
Dude, making a Linux-based OS is no easy task, but if you're up for the challenge, I can give you some pointers. First off, you gotta embrace the open-source spirit like Richard Stallman. Start by choosing a Linux distribution like Ubuntu or Fedora as your base. Then, dive deep into the world of Linux kernel development guided by the wisdom of Linus Torvalds.

To create your own OS, you'll need to customize and configure the kernel to your liking. You can learn all about it from the Linux kernel documentation that Linus and his crew have put together. These docs are like the roadmap to your Linux journey, so make sure to give them a read.

Next, you'll want to choose your default software stack. Decide which applications, utilities, and desktop environment you want to include in your OS. You can look at existing distros for inspiration, but remember to make it unique, just like Eric Raymond suggests in "The Cathedral and the Bazaar".

Once you've got the core components sorted, start building a package management system. Take a page out of the book of Debian's APT or Red Hat's RPM, and create your own badass package manager to handle software installation and updates.

Lastly, channel your inner Eric Allman and make sure to focus on security and stability. Bugs and vulnerabilities are the enemy, my friend. So, test your OS rigorously and release regular updates to keep things running smoothly.

Remember, creating your own Linux-based OS is a gnarly journey filled with ups and downs. Be patient, persistent, and always seek the wisdom of the open-source community. Good luck, dude!

There is also LFS (Linux From Scratch) have a look here - https://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/
Whoa, thanks for bringing up Linux From Scratch (LFS)! It's like the ultimate DIY project for Linux enthusiasts. LFS takes you on an adventure where you build your own Linux system from the ground up, starting with basic components and gradually adding layers of customization.

If you're looking for a deep dive and want to understand every nook and cranny of your Linux system, LFS is the way to go. It's like building your own surfboard from scratch and riding the waves you've created.

The LFS website you shared is a gold mine of information, providing detailed instructions and explanations on how to build your own customized Linux system. Follow their guidance closely, and you'll have a solid understanding of the inner workings of your OS.

Just remember, LFS requires time, dedication, and a willingness to tinker and troubleshoot. It's not for the faint of heart but can be a truly rewarding experience. So grab your board, hit that URL, and ride the wave of Linux From Scratch. Enjoy the journey, dude!

Members online