I did something bad

Gabonuxii

Reaction score
Credits
Basically i wanted to delete an account on my linux mint and i accidentally deleted mine, now im stuck in the login screen and i cant log into my account with my previous password, and i cant do anything, what do i do?

Stop panicking. It takes people a while to see your post.
First thing I would do is load up a live dvd, access your glitched system and transfer your /home files to another partition or another hard drive for safe keeping. That way if you don't find a solution you can just reinstall and then transfer your files back to where they belong.
Now, what have we learned about having a backup?

Im not really good with tech, what is timeshift snapshot?
Timeshift is a Backup and restore program that comes with Linux Mint.

Did you by chance use it to backup your Linux Mint?

IF you didn't activate Timeshift and perform any backups then you basically have two options.
1. Try resetting your password.
Code:
Hold down CTRL + ALT + F1 or F2 to get the commandline.
Type passwd and tap Enter.
Now you will be prompted to enter your new password and confirm it by retyping it once more.

2. Perform a fresh installation of the Linux Mint you already have.

You didn't mention what version of Mint you are running.

Last edited:
I dont think so. And as im thinking, is this possible to create a new account from the login menu?
I think you can. And then log in as root and transfer your files to the other acount. BUT SAVE YOUR STUFF TO ANOTHER DRIVE BEFORE YOU MESS AROUND.

How To Change Password In Linux

I don't have time to explain it all right now but the dvd you installed your operating system with is a live dvd. When you load the dvd you should see a choice of "install linux" or "try linux". You would choose "try". That will start the operating system ON THE DVD and then you can access your entire computer.
Be patient. People will help you soon. RELAAAAX.

But i cant login as root, because i cant login at all, im just stuck with the user and the input password thing
Booting into a Live DVD or USB is wise as @sofasurfer told you.
Once you copy all of your files to another device....then you can change the password and see if that works.

See post #6

If you do not have a spare hard drive go get one. Its an important tool that you will use over and over. For one thing it is where you will store your future backups.
You need a spare hard drive/SSD and you need a live dvd. Do you have a live dvd? If you want to find out, unplug your hard drive (for safe keeping) and then put your dvd in the drive and see if a window comes up that says "try linux".
Be the way, what are you using to access the internet right now?

Basically i wanted to delete an account on my linux mint and i accidentally deleted mine, now im stuck in the login screen and i cant log into my account with my previous password, and i cant do anything, what do i do?

Welcome to the Forum.
m0135.gif

All you need to do is reset your forgotten password...do this...
https://www.linux.org/threads/how-t...rd-from-the-live-session-in-linux-mint.45548/

This works 100%...no need to do anything else...good luck.
m1212.gif

First thing I would do is load up a live dvd, access your glitched system and transfer your /home files to another partition or another hard drive for safe keeping.

Depending on how they removed their account, that information is gone.

Sadly, this is likely a 'start from new' situation with some lessons learned along the way.

But, let's wait to see what further information we get.

G'day @Gabonuxii, Welcome to Linux.org

Number 1.....forget the panic mode.

Number 2....
i wanted to delete an account on my linux mint and i accidentally deleted mine,
I will take a wild guess that you have deleted your user account......and you dont have another "user' which you can log in with ???
Does that sound correct?

ok....a few questions.
Do you have data/music etc on that Linux mint that you MUST save....or have you only just started with linux mint ?

How long have you had Linux Mint installed ?...a day, a week, a month, longer..?

Do you still have the usb stick with Linux mint on it that you would have used to first boot your pc to Linux Mint ?

Answer those 3 questions, in order.

And please do not panic.

Once you get back to the Desktop you can change your new password to whatever you like doing this on the Desktop...
1711232794513.png

m1211.gif

Members online

Latest posts