I Made Some Headway In My External HDD Problem..... :)

B

blackneos940

So anyway, as some of you may have known, I do not have problems connecting and using the External HDD from Western Digital.... At least, in every OTHER Laptop except the one ASUS with that SuperSpeed USB Logo on it..... :\ Yes, all 3 Ports have that Logo..... So, my question is this.... Can I make Linux think that a Port is a standard USB 2.0/3.0 Port......? I KNOW it's those Ports..... However, any other USB Device, which is ether 3.0 or lower, works just fine with this ASUS..... Weird.... :\ Anyway, I wanna get this problem solved, so I can just back up my Files already..... :( Thanks for any help, you guys..... :3

Still not working?!?!? Well, maybe the solution will be found soon! I know we have talked about this before, but I forgot what we've covered... so let's start over. And maybe some smarter people will jump in and help!

1. Have you tried another OS yet? Either Windows or a different Linux distro? (Boot a Linux live DVD or USB if you can, but I know that booting can be a problem with USB 3.0 too.) If you can load/run another OS and you still have the same problem, then it will point strongly to the hardware/firmware on the laptop.

2. If the problem is hardware or firmware, can you find a BIOS/UEFI update from Asus? Or can you find a Linux driver from Asus (or elsewhere) for the USB ports on that laptop model?

3. And re-reading your post also makes me wonder about the WD drive too since you say that other USB devices work okay in the Asus. If I remember right, I think your Asus "sees" the drive (checking with lsusb or lspci) but it just doesn't mount it and make it usable. Is that right?

Google turns up many other people having similar problems, and especially with Debian/Ubuntu based systems. Encryption can be an issue, if your drive is encrypted. The choice of filesystem can be an issue... did you use NTFS on the drive? here are a couple of links that touch on these problems:

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/155432/how-to-mount-western-digital-external-hard-drive

http://askubuntu.com/questions/224511/unable-to-mount-wd-my-passport-1-tb-hard-disk-on-ubuntu-12-10

Give us the following specifics:

What OS are you using?
What is the Asus laptop model number?
What is the exact Western Digital drive model and capacity?
Is the WD drive a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0?

Can I make Linux think that a Port is a standard USB 2.0/3.0 Port......?
SuperSpeed USB is simply the name for the new transfer rate, introduced in USB 3.0, that can transfer data up to ten times as fast as USB 2.0. So, these ports are USB 3.0.

I may suggest a universal solution to compile your own kernel, as all drivers are usually included in the source tree. And certainly, you can remove unnecessary components and reduce overall memory footprint. Though, you can always load your current configuration and then add what you need.

Before that, you have to know the exact name of the drive. I really like lshw, with an html output to a file, so it goes something like this:
Code:
lshw > lshw.html
Then open it with your favourite browser, inactive hardware will be red.

There are utilities galore, that will print hardware information, you may want to read this.

Last edited:
wd_wdbtyh0010bsl_nesn_1tb_my_passport_ultra_1068124.jpg wd_wdbtyh0010bsl_nesn_1tb_my_passport_ultra_1068124.jpg
Still not working?!?!? Well, maybe the solution will be found soon! I know we have talked about this before, but I forgot what we've covered... so let's start over. And maybe some smarter people will jump in and help!

1. Have you tried another OS yet? Either Windows or a different Linux distro? (Boot a Linux live DVD or USB if you can, but I know that booting can be a problem with USB 3.0 too.) If you can load/run another OS and you still have the same problem, then it will point strongly to the hardware/firmware on the laptop.

2. If the problem is hardware or firmware, can you find a BIOS/UEFI update from Asus? Or can you find a Linux driver from Asus (or elsewhere) for the USB ports on that laptop model?

3. And re-reading your post also makes me wonder about the WD drive too since you say that other USB devices work okay in the Asus. If I remember right, I think your Asus "sees" the drive (checking with lsusb or lspci) but it just doesn't mount it and make it usable. Is that right?

Google turns up many other people having similar problems, and especially with Debian/Ubuntu based systems. Encryption can be an issue, if your drive is encrypted. The choice of filesystem can be an issue... did you use NTFS on the drive? here are a couple of links that touch on these problems:

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/155432/how-to-mount-western-digital-external-hard-drive

http://askubuntu.com/questions/224511/unable-to-mount-wd-my-passport-1-tb-hard-disk-on-ubuntu-12-10

Give us the following specifics:

What OS are you using?
What is the Asus laptop model number?
What is the exact Western Digital drive model and capacity?
Is the WD drive a USB 2.0 or USB 3.0?
Ok then.... :) Thanks for the help, good sir!..... ^^ Anywho.... :) I've tried other Distros, but the same problem persists.... :\ Weird....... Anywho, I'm hesitant to try Windows, as outside of Bart's PE, I'm not sure how to Boot it into some kind of "Live"-like environment (and have it be the LATEST Windows)....... :\ And, well, I've pretty much got this Laptop's HDD dedicated to Mint, so.... :\ I DO have Windows 10 in a VM, though, although all my other Laptops have regular USB Ports.... :( I dunno..... :( Well, I can find one, I think, but I don't even know if I could run it in WINE to update the BIOS/UEFI..... Well, it doesn't even DETECT it anymore..... D: Well, it still works, according to my Surface RT, my ASUS with Windows on it, (though THAT one is on a different model, despite being the exception to my Linux Laptop arsenal.... ;)) And yeah, I've seen those Search Results, so I know what you mean..... :) Also, the Drive is unencrypted, so..... :\ Well, the ASUS supplied Linux Mint with the Model Number, when Mint prompted me for the Host Name, which is displayed in BASH..... :) Hold on, let me open up Guake really quick..... Ok, it's Q503UA.... :) I left it like that so I could get my Model No. from BASH..... ANY time..... :D ^^ And the Model Name of the External HDD is:
WD 1TB My Passport Ultra Metal Edition (Silver)

And I'll upload a Pic of it, ok.....? :3 Also, I think it's 3.0..... Which is ALSO interesting, since anything I can connect to this thing is USB 2.0 or lower..... :) Have a good day, ok good sir.....? :3

Last edited:
SuperSpeed USB is simply a name for the new transfer rate, introduced in USB 3.0, that can transfer data up to ten times as fast as USB 2.0. So, these ports are USB 3.0.

I may suggest a universal solution to compile your own kernel, as all drivers are usually included in the source tree. And certainly, you can remove unnecessary components and reduce overall memory footprint. Though, you can always load your current configuration and then add what you need.

Before that, you have to know the exact name of the drive. I really like lshw, with an html output to a file, so it goes something like this:
Code:
lshw > lshw.html
Then open it with your favourite browser, inactive hardware will be red.

There are utilities galore, that will print hardware information, you may want to read this.
Ah, so it IS 3.0, after all..... :) Atanere, looks like I was right!!..... ^^ Anywho....... :3 If I DO recompile my Kernel, does that mean I need to reinstall everything.....? :( I'd hate to, but if that means I can avoid trucking my Files via USB to the External HDD, then I'm GAME..... ;) But first, I'll do it in a VM, since it's safer for something likely risky like that....... :) Well, I'll try that Command first, and tell you what the Output is..... But right now, I'm near Town, chilling out, practicing Programming, and just breathing in the warm, southern Nighttime air.... :3 When I get home, I'll let you know the Output, ok.....? :) Later, buddy!..... ^^

If I DO recompile my Kernel, does that mean I need to reinstall everything.....?
You don't, of course. The process of installing a new kernel is similar to the process of compiling any other piece of software from source.

Mint does not update the kernel with other updates. But you can find instructions to update the kernel to the latest version without compiling. I think that would be a good test too... the latest kernel may well fix the issues you are having with the HDD. You can always custom compile a kernel later if you think it is necessary. But be on the lookout too... kernel updates can also break things.

You don't, of course. The process of installing a new kernel is similar to the process of compiling any other piece of software from source.
Oh..... :3 Ok, then!..... ^^ Guess I'll look into that, then!..... :3

Mint does not update the kernel with other updates. But you can find instructions to update the kernel to the latest version without compiling. I think that would be a good test too... the latest kernel may well fix the issues you are having with the HDD. You can always custom compile a kernel later if you think it is necessary. But be on the lookout too... kernel updates can also break things.
Hmm..... I wonder why it doesn't.....? :< You would think it WOULD....... :\ Anywho, I've got the latest one..... :) That's why my Touchpad works, silly!..... :3 However..... I may be wrong, as Linus announces a new Kernel version every now and then..... :\ Lemme check through Synaptic..... Nah, as you can see by the Screenshot (which includes an oh so SEXY Mint Theme ;)), it's the latest..... :3 But I wonder if recompiling would really help, now that I have the latest..... Also, I wonder if that WD External HDD has a USB 2.0 Cable it can use instead..... Hey, 2.0 is cool still!!..... :3

If it makes you feel any better, I can find LOTS of people who have this problem, or at least one that is similar to yours. But solutions vary... ASUS is not the only laptop affected.

Here is one thing to look for: Go into your UEFI/BIOS settings and look everywhere for anything related to USB 3.0 (or "SS" - SuperSpeed) that you can disable. You may see this referred to as "xHCI". If you can find this, it may revert your USB 3.0 back down to USB 2.0 and possibly solve the connection problem. My own laptop does not have these options, but I am hoping that maybe yours does.

If it makes you feel any better, I can find LOTS of people who have this problem, or at least one that is similar to yours. But solutions vary... ASUS is not the only laptop affected.

Here is one thing to look for: Go into your UEFI/BIOS settings and look everywhere for anything related to USB 3.0 (or "SS" - SuperSpeed) that you can disable. You may see this referred to as "xHCI". If you can find this, it may revert your USB 3.0 back down to USB 2.0 and possibly solve the connection problem. My own laptop does not have these options, but I am hoping that maybe yours does.
Oooh..... Great IDEA!!..... :D But I'm listening to Dance Dance Revolution music in Clementine right now..... :\ Oh well.... I can listen later!..... ^^ I'll let you know how it goes, ok......? :3

In another thread you mention maybe moving away from Linux Mint... on this same computer with the external HDD problem?

If no BIOS/UEFI setting was able to help, then maybe a different OS will fix it. But in this case I'd try distros other than the Debian/Ubuntu family. Of course you may find all of the full-featured distros to run a little slow, like Mint, but one or more of them may resolve the problem connecting to your hard drive. A few suggestions would be: openSUSE, Fedora, Slackware, and Manjaro. None of these are related to each other (I don't think), or to Debian/Ubuntu. There are many more options besides these as well.

As @Mitt Green mentioned to you, desktop environments like LXDE and window managers like Openbox can really make things respond faster too, and you might want to look at those options for any distro that you're considering.

I think the problem connecting to the external hard drive is fixable, but it may take a lot of effort to find that final solution. A new distro might fix it easily right off the bat, if you don't mind making the switch to something new and different.

Still working too much overtime, so I'm not on here much. Sometimes I feel like the bird, and sometimes I feel like the statue! :eek::D

Cheers!

In another thread you mention maybe moving away from Linux Mint... on this same computer with the external HDD problem?

If no BIOS/UEFI setting was able to help, then maybe a different OS will fix it. But in this case I'd try distros other than the Debian/Ubuntu family. Of course you may find all of the full-featured distros to run a little slow, like Mint, but one or more of them may resolve the problem connecting to your hard drive. A few suggestions would be: openSUSE, Fedora, Slackware, and Manjaro. None of these are related to each other (I don't think), or to Debian/Ubuntu. There are many more options besides these as well.

As @Mitt Green mentioned to you, desktop environments like LXDE and window managers like Openbox can really make things respond faster too, and you might want to look at those options for any distro that you're considering.

I think the problem connecting to the external hard drive is fixable, but it may take a lot of effort to find that final solution. A new distro might fix it easily right off the bat, if you don't mind making the switch to something new and different.

Still working too much overtime, so I'm not on here much. Sometimes I feel like the bird, and sometimes I feel like the statue! :eek::D

Cheers!
I'll have to try your suggestions, but from USB only, as I can't easily back up all my Files yet..... :\ Also, I say those things about Mint with sadness..... I REALLY like this Distro, AND it's Desktop Environment...... :( Anywho, I'll load up a USB with openSUSE, Fedora, Manjaro and Slackware, and let you know how things go, ok.....? :3 (I'll try Slackware first, as that's THE first Distro, to my knowledge, and so should have the MOST support..... :))

Well, I'm awfully late again replying. By now you may already know that the folks at Slackware don't make a live DVD themselves, it is full install only. There is another guy who uses Slackware as a base for a live DVD though... its called Slax. And it is pretty nice too, but I have not checked it out in awhile. I think the other distros all offer live DVD's that you could check out though.

I'm still on Linux Lite, but I did add a virtual machine with Mint (Mate), as well as Debian and LXLE VM's too. It's been a little hard to give up Mint for me also, so I really know what you mean. It worked very well for me for a long time, and there is nothing that drove me to switch... just a desire to play with something else for a bit.

If a live DVD will let you access the external HDD, won't that let you do the backups that you need to do? Or is it more complicated than that? I know I keep typing DVD, but in your case you'll need to boot on USB instead. I guess its because I use DVD's mostly. :confused:;)

Staff online

Members online