I need help with OpenRGB

julez129

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,
I was using OpenRGB on my old thinkpad t530 running debian bookworm x64 to control my usb keyboard lightings. everything worked perfectly fine.

I now switched to a thinkpad t430 running the same debian version and the same deb package version of openrgb. however, it can't detect my keyboard in openrgb. nothing shows up. lsusb shows my keyboard. I tried running openrgb as root, but the problem persists. I tried installing the udev rules provided by the developers of openrgb but no change. I tried rebooting, uninstalling everything including autoremove and reinstalling openrgb again. nothing. i don't get it. It was working before with the exact same os and package versions. i also tried different usb ports, the ports are fine I mean I can use my keyboard and lsusb shows the device. I also checked the hardware id, it is definitely in openrgb's compatibility list. idk what to do anymore. please help me. i'm not a gamer i don't need a fancy lighting control tool. I just want to set a single color as backlight. maybe there's another thing to achieve this instead of using openrgb? i doubt it but lemme know.

G'day julez129, and Welcome to Linux.org

You seem to have slipped through the cracks here.!

I am probably not going to be of much help....however, I had one idea......If you have a usb stick with that version of Debian on it...boot the t430 to that usb stick and see if there is a difference

G'day julez129, and Welcome to Linux.org

You seem to have slipped through the cracks here.!

I am probably not going to be of much help....however, I had one idea......If you have a usb stick with that version of Debian on it...boot the t430 to that usb stick and see if there is a difference
Thx I tried that, but problem persists. I also tried live booting into a ubuntu session, and well it works! So it must be a problem with debian itself and not the laptop.. I even tried reinstalling my entire system but no change i don't get it. i'm actually giving up on it as I spent way to much time on this. I will search for another solution to control the lights of the keyboard manually somehow.

A system I can recommend is Linux Mint (Cinnamon) 21.2

A system I can recommend is Linux Mint (Cinnamon) Unfortunately I need to stick to raw debian cz of a software i'm using that only works in debian. (is faster in debian).

A system I can recommend is Linux Mint (Cinnamon) 21.2
Unfortunately I gotta stick to raw debian as i'm using a professional software that only works (is faster) in debian. but thanks for taking the time to reply I appreciate it ✌

Thx I tried that, but problem persists. I also tried live booting into a ubuntu session, and well it works! So it must be a problem with debian itself and not the laptop..
Try installing a newer kernel on your system, setup backports on your system.
It looks like "linux 6.5.10-1~bpo12+1" is available for bookworm in backports.

Try installing a newer kernel on your system, setup backports on your system.
It looks like "linux 6.5.10-1~bpo12+1" is available for bookworm in backports.
i did. I went through 6 distros now including ubuntu, kubuntu, mint, suse, latest debian and neon.
It seems to be a specific issue with this exact laptop, because it works like a charm on my t530 with the same rgb keyboard. i don't get it.

Members online

Latest posts