KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits

Nice story, and I wish him success!

But... he has his own kernel??? o_O

So it'd seem. It kinda reminds me of the OS written by the crazy dude who was also 'religious'. Temple OS, I think was the name? But this author doesn't remind me of that author, just the OS being one that's older looking, and independently written. They appear to have enough backers to be able to do this full time.

Yeah, TempleOS. I've run it i a VM and it's impressive what one man did. It's kinda sad though how his life ended up.

I haven't run Serenity OS, but I've heard that he just was tinkering around with stuff, and I was like "Whoa! If he calls writing a display system tinkering around, he's incredibly good!"

Sounds like an interesting OS as a hobby project but I don't want to go back in time when running my daily tasks.

Yeah, TempleOS. I've run it i a VM and it's impressive what one man did. It's kinda sad though how his life ended up.

I haven't run Serenity OS, but I've heard that he just was tinkering around with stuff, and I was like "Whoa! If he calls writing a display system tinkering around, he's incredibly good!"
Yeah amazing that one guy wrote an entire OS, the guy even wrote his own compiler. Agreed that is said how his life ended, the guy should have been in a mental hospital he seriously needed some help which he never got.

I think the dude's name was Terry and he really, really needed some mental health care. It's unfortunate that he was unable/unwilling to get that help.

If I ever find the time (and I probably won't), I'll have to spin up a VM for Serenity OS to see how far along it has come and what all I can do with it.

Serenity OS does not provide an .iso file. You have to build from source, if I'm reading it right. They are not trying to be mainstream in any way, shape, or form. o_O

I might make the effort if I thought they would be far superior in privacy/security... but I don't read that in their brochure (just a figure of speech, not a real document). I've been playing some (not enough) with OpenBSD, and it's like stepping back 20 years in some ways too. I do admire their goals related to security, and their proven success. Not flawless, but damn good.

The only reason I'd do so would be intellectual curiosity. Which means I'll probably never get to it, as I've got more pressing matters.

Right now, I'm smoking a cigar while the grill heats up.

Staff online

Members online